Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

I'm thinking you need to rename the BIOS file to G75VX.BIN.

The procedure you mentioned doesn't reset the CMOS. I believe it only discharges the laptop capacitors. I believe you need to physically remove the CMOS battery on the motherboard to reset the CMOS on the G75 models.

I would probably contact the retailer and attempt to exchange the laptop for a new unit before disassembling it to remove the CMOS battery. Simply changing the boot device should not have bricked the laptop.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-07-2013 at 01:36 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

hi @Individ, as @dstrakele pointed out, please do not access the non-user serviceable area if you're within the return window.

the ctrl-home combo will work as long as you have c:\g75vx.bin (however, you should verify that the file name is the correct one)

do you still have your stock windows? can you boot it up? make sure it's the only drive in the system, and spam esc key when the ROG post screen appears.

if you failed to make the stock drive boot, in order to recover the stock bios, you might need another machine (i'm not sure you can boot the laptop up with a livecd or usb). plug the stock drive as external hdd, and locate the stock bios in the OS partition (it should be c: in stock drive)

edit: i think the stock bios file name should be correct (c:\G75VX.BIN).

you can also try to put the bios (with the name G75VX.BIN) in your usb stick and proceed with the bios recovery process.
    Last edited by rewben; 01-07-2013 at 03:27 AM.

New ROGer Array

if all way can not help you, i think you will be sending ASUS for RMA, it is more quick fix your prolem.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    hi @Individ, as @dstrakele pointed out, please do not access the non-user serviceable area if you're within the return window.

the ctrl-home combo will work as long as you have c:\g75vx.bin (however, you should verify that the file name is the correct one)

do you still have your stock windows? can you boot it up? make sure it's the only drive in the system, and spam esc key when the ROG post screen appears.

if you failed to make the stock drive boot, in order to recover the stock bios, you might need another machine (i'm not sure you can boot the laptop up with a livecd or usb). plug the stock drive as external hdd, and locate the stock bios in the OS partition (it should be c: in stock drive)

edit: i think the stock bios file name should be correct (c:\G75VX.BIN).

you can also try to put the bios (with the name G75VX.BIN) in your usb stick and proceed with the bios recovery process.
    Thanks for the suggestion rewben! I never thought about connecting the SSD with windows 8 to my desktop, but I'll do that, transfer the renamed .bin file to C: and keep my fingers crossed!

ROG Enthusiast Array

So, just an update...

I connected the SSD with the OS to my other laptop (my external enclosure just got delivered today), and there was already a bios file on the c: drive (I guess as a precaution), so I renamed it with .bak and placed the 203 on there, naming it G75VX.BIN. Put the SSD back in and tried the ctrl + home.....and still nothing.

I called ASUS tech support, who walked me through some of the same steps. He even tried to blame the issue on the new SSD LOL. Obviously I wouldn't have any of that. But yea, I got an RMA and will be returning it tomorrow for repair.....

Thanks again for everyone's help!

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

sorry that things didn't work out as expected, Individ :/

hope all will be back to normal after RMA. good luck.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Same issue. I switched the boot order, and now nothing but a black screen when turning on the computer. Reading through this thread is giving me little to no hope. How can switching the boot order == no ability to get back to the BIOS/screen not turning on at all!? Totally frustrated.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by vintagepimpage View Post
    Same issue. I switched the boot order, and now nothing but a black screen when turning on the computer. Reading through this thread is giving me little to no hope. How can switching the boot order == no ability to get back to the BIOS/screen not turning on at all!? Totally frustrated.
    Well, I'm certainly glad I wasn't the only one! vintagepimpage, I think we were just unlucky and happened to get corrupt BIOS' in our laptops. I hate to be discouraging, but I literally tried everything and combed through these forums and then some... if you try everything in this thread and still nothing, I suggest you get an RMA number and get it fixed.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

@vintagepimpage, i'm very sorry about all the troubles.

i guess in terms of bios options and implementation, there are too many hidden differences between a vx and a vw, or rather, between machines preloaded with w7 and w8; particularly, i do not understand how changing boot orders can be so significant in a vx.

ROG Enthusiast Array

The only step I forgot about was maybe turning off "fast startup" in Windows 8, but I figured if I'm doing a clean install that it wouldn't matter. Still I don't see how it would affect the BIOS...

@vintagepimpage, give this a try: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post163278

The BIOS .BIN file should already be on your drive by default.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast