Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

@rewben, thanks I understand ish happens. I'll be taking the laptop to a service center tomorrow. I hope this issue gets some attention from ASUS. I've counted 8 people here on this forum who are now reporting this blank screen problem. All recently.

@indivd, I tried the CTRL-HOME idea. Alas, no dice.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by vintagepimpage View Post
    @rewben, thanks I understand ish happens. I'll be taking the laptop to a service center tomorrow. I hope this issue gets some attention from ASUS. I've counted 8 people here on this forum who are now reporting this blank screen problem. All recently.

@indivd, I tried the CTRL-HOME idea. Alas, no dice.
    Yeah, it seems to be spreading like an epidemic! I wish there was a way we could warn people....
    I also wonder if anyone has successfully changed their boot order and not had this happen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are a G75VW owner, right?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yeah I've got the VW.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Yeah I've got the VW.
    that made me more confused. there were many doing the conversions from w8 to w7 successfully :/ (however, whether or not they have changed the boot order along the way, i have no idea).

i think we need serious help from you guys who have the newer models to write a guide on this, if you have the time.

edit: and then, for uefi install, is it necessary to change the boot order? afaik, we need to point to the right windows boot manager (when i checked my bios on this one, it's pointing to the right partition, which is 'windows boot manager (my.primary.drive)'; not the drive itself).

when i need to boot with other devices, i hit esc key on boot to access the target devices.
    Last edited by rewben; 01-14-2013 at 01:41 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I wasn't going Win8 to Win7. Here's what I did leading up to the problem. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe what I did will shed some light.

My G75VW came with a 750GB hdd running Win8. Flashed BIOS to 222 upwards of a week ago with the Winflash tool, no problems. A few days later I pulled the 750GB hdd and replaced it with a 250GB SSD, installing a clean copy of Windows 8 Pro to it. SSD was SATA 0 in the BIOS. Added the hdd back which still had the OEM copy of Win8 on it. BIOS identified the hdd as SATA 1. Booting up the laptop with both drives it booted from the hdd instead of the ssd. So I restarted and went into setup to change the boot order. Listed first was something like "Windows Boot Manager", the SSD was second and DVD third.

I couldn't get the list to show the order as ssd first and hdd second. If I set the ssd to first and then arrowed away from that field it would revert back to the windows boot manager. So I set option 1 to the ssd, and did not move away from that field, pressing F10 to save and exit. This meant that option 2 was also the ssd drive. So when saving and exiting the BIOS the boot order was something like:

1. OCZ Vertex 4
    2. OCZ Vertex 4
    3. DVD drive
    4. (I think there was something here, can't remember.)

So obviously on the save and reboot nothing but the blank screen. I've tried swapping the two drives in both slots, having just one or the other in, and having both out... all with the same results: laptop powers on, keyboard backlight flashes on and off and then nothing. Nothing ever shows on the screen. I've pulled the battery and power, holding the power button for 30 seconds. No go.

Hope this helps. Any questions, I'm happy to answer.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

I wasn't going Win8 to Win7. Here's what I did leading up to the problem. Maybe I did something wrong, maybe what I did will shed some light.

My G75VW came with a 750GB hdd running Win8. Flashed BIOS to 222 upwards of a week ago with the Winflash tool, no problems. A few days later I pulled the 750GB hdd and replaced it with a 250GB SSD, installing a clean copy of Windows 8 Pro to it. SSD was SATA 0 in the BIOS. Added the hdd back which still had the OEM copy of Win8 on it. BIOS identified the hdd as SATA 1. Booting up the laptop with both drives it booted from the hdd instead of the ssd. So I restarted and went into setup to change the boot order. Listed first was something like "Windows Boot Manager", the SSD was second and DVD third.

I couldn't get the list to show the order as ssd first and hdd second. If I set the ssd to first and then arrowed away from that field it would revert back to the windows boot manager. So I set option 1 to the ssd, and did not move away from that field, pressing F10 to save and exit. This meant that option 2 was also the ssd drive. So when saving and exiting the BIOS the boot order was something like:

1. OCZ Vertex 4
    2. OCZ Vertex 4
    3. DVD drive
    4. (I think there was something here, can't remember.)

So obviously on the save and reboot nothing but the blank screen. I've tried swapping the two drives in both slots, having just one or the other in, and having both out... all with the same results: laptop powers on, keyboard backlight flashes on and off and then nothing. Nothing ever shows on the screen. I've pulled the battery and power, holding the power button for 30 seconds. No go.

Hope this helps. Any questions, I'm happy to answer.
    what i mean was that it shouldn't be a problem whether it's a fresh install with w7, or w8 pro.

and from your description, what you did made sense, except that you might be pointing to the wrong boot partition (you had 2 identical ocz vertex 4 options; the result might be different if you chose the other one; and based on the way you set up your laptop, there should be 2 windows boot managers to choose from); but the idea of you having only one chance to do that, without any more chances to access bios again to correct mistakes is silly to me. disabling fast boot could have saved you from the troubles; but i am not sure now.

i think the way to prevent this from happening might be the following:
    1. disable fast boot in bios (although i am really not sure how useful this is);
    2. test and identify boot order that works via esc key on boot before setting it up permanently (but then how you make sure which is which is still a mystery to me);
    3. access and organize the stock hdd as external drive first, before putting it into the hdd bay; this might include wiping the stock drive clean, or getting rid of the stock OEM w8 boot partition to avoid confusions.

New ROGer Array

Angry exactly the same problem

have you had any solution to your problem??
    please let me know
    i will look for an asus repair center
    daniel

New ROGer Array

Oh my, the same things...
    Changing to an incorrect boot order and being unable to access the BIOs menu again, just a black screen.
    Is there anything that can be done about this?

If anybody has made repairs or paid for repairs, I'd like to know the details as well.
    Especially because I feel like this problem can still occur again. (error PXE-E61 for the reason of my changing BIOS boot order)
    I'm hesitant of getting repairs because I'd might have to give the store access to email account. Terrible situation.
    Last edited by AutumnEve; 10-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Super Moderator Array

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnEve View Post
    I'm hesitant of getting repairs because I'd might have to give the store access to email account. Terrible situation.
    Sorry to hear that you've run into that problem.
    Not sure how well this will work, but if necessary, you might ask/confirm with ASUS support or your store if you can remove the hard drive before giving them the notebook for repair (or ask if they can remove the hard drive for you if you drop it off?) without getting into any warranty problems if this helps at all with the concern about your data.

New ROGer Array

Hi Guys! Asus should know about that issue! Have mine G75VX "bricked" with a black screen as well trying to make dual boot of Ubuntu and Windows on separate SSD and HDD. Took it to the local repair shop and they have estimated 1.4 k for motherboard replacement as it is all they can do rather then re-install BIOS in a hardware way. As mine laptop refurbished and out of 3 month Newegg warranty for such laptops I was wondering if any of you guys did any repair and how much was the estimate?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast