cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get Trim working With Raid on Z68 Chipset Maximus IV Extreme-Z

digmeahole
Level 8
Verified Trim is working on my Raid 0 consisting of two Corsair Force 3 SSD's on a Maximus IV Extreme-Z MB. Follow these instructions at your own risk as this modifies your bios. Big thanks to Fernando for this! Also verifyed by AnandTech artical http://www.anandtech.com/show/6477/trim-raid0-ssd-arrays-work-with-intel-6series-motherboards-too

How to is here: http://www.win-lite.de/wbb/board208-specials/board281-bios-bios-modding/16658-bios-modding-how-to-up...
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case
8 REPLIES 8

SUKARA
Level 10
Thanks your sharing!

Your welcome

SUKARA@ASUS wrote:
Thanks your sharing!
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case

jonesy125
Level 7
Just in time for my new ssd coming tomorrow 😄

I was reading how to get this set up and I found this, the newest bios already modified with the Intel RAID OROM 11.6.0.1702

Im going to give this a shot tomorrow. Is it really just as easy as flashing the modded bios and then installing the drivers? Any other setup required?
Intel i5-2500K
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600
2x Intel 520 Series 240GB SSD Raid0
2TB SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4
CORSAIR HX850 850W
Noctua NH-D14
BenQ XL2420TX
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Make sure what ever bios your using has version 11.6.0.1702. Also Fernando suggests that a new raid volume be built with the modded bios. I found this to be true as i tried to just flash and use a system that was built on an older rom and when i used a Hex editor to verify Trim was working it was only working about half the time. As soon as deleted the raid volume, rebuilt with 11.6.0.1702 Trim worked 100%.

jonesy125 wrote:
Just in time for my new ssd coming tomorrow 😄

I was reading how to get this set up and I found this, the newest bios already modified with the Intel RAID OROM 11.6.0.1702

Im going to give this a shot tomorrow. Is it really just as easy as flashing the modded bios and then installing the drivers? Any other setup required?
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case

jonesy125
Level 7
What bios and rst drivers do you have? I cant seem to get it working. It only worked a couple times on some txt files I created and only after I restarted the computer. Is a restart necessary for you as well before the sectors are deleted? Here is what I did

Flash modded bios with 11.6.0.1702 orom
Create raid0 array
Updated rst drivers to version 11.7.0.1013 during windows installation

Anything I did wrong or something else I should do? I got the modded bios from the link in my first post. I am going to follow the guide here and mod bios 3510 myself and use rst 11.6.0.1030 drivers. Hopefully, I can get it working 100% that way.
Intel i5-2500K
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
2TB SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4
CORSAIR HX850 850W
Noctua NH-D14
BenQ XL2420TX

I modded my own bios from asus download and followed the instructions on the link i provided. There are different rom version mods depending on your device id. best off following the instructions instead of using someone else's modded bios.

jonesy125 wrote:
What bios and rst drivers do you have? I cant seem to get it working. It only worked a couple times on some txt files I created and only after I restarted the computer. Is a restart necessary for you as well before the sectors are deleted? Here is what I did

Flash modded bios with 11.6.0.1702 orom
Create raid0 array
Updated rst drivers to version 11.7.0.1013 during windows installation

Anything I did wrong or something else I should do? I got the modded bios from the link in my first post. I am going to follow the guide here and mod bios 3510 myself and use rst 11.6.0.1030 drivers. Hopefully, I can get it working 100% that way.
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case

jonesy125
Level 7
I followed the guide and modified the bios from asus. I was able to verify TRIM enabled using the method below. Its step 2 in the link:

"How to Verify TRIM is Enabled
In the start menu search box, type" cmd";
Right click the cmd program and select Run as Adminstrator; and
In the command line type "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify".
if DisableDeleteNotify = 0 TRIM is Enabled.
If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 TRIM is Disabled."

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Not sure how reliable that method is but I was unable to confirm trim using the hex editor method. It only worked a few times for me. Maybe I was doing something wrong, idk. Anyway I followed that guide and ran a benchmark once to make sure everything looked good.

How big of a difference does trim really make? I know it helps with wear on the drive but how much realistically? Adds 1-2 years of life or what? Just curious in case it turns out that trim is still disabled and I cant figure out a way to enable it.

Thanks!
Intel i5-2500K
EVGA GeForce GTX 680
2TB SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4
CORSAIR HX850 850W
Noctua NH-D14
BenQ XL2420TX

The first method will give you a false yes. Trim command is being sent but the SSD is not receiving it due to the raid volume. After you made your own bios did you delete and then rebuild the raid array? I had the same issue as i tried to get away with out rebuilding the array...some time hex editor would show deleted and some times not. once i rebuilt the array it worked every time. Try a larger file send to trash empty trash and see if you hard drive light stays on longer then a flicker.

PS: sorry it took me so long to respond

jonesy125 wrote:
I followed the guide and modified the bios from asus. I was able to verify TRIM enabled using the method below. Its step 2 in the link:

"How to Verify TRIM is Enabled
In the start menu search box, type" cmd";
Right click the cmd program and select Run as Adminstrator; and
In the command line type "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify".
if DisableDeleteNotify = 0 TRIM is Enabled.
If DisableDeleteNotify = 1 TRIM is Disabled."

http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-ssd-tweaks-for-windows-7/552.html

Not sure how reliable that method is but I was unable to confirm trim using the hex editor method. It only worked a few times for me. Maybe I was doing something wrong, idk. Anyway I followed that guide and ran a benchmark once to make sure everything looked good.

How big of a difference does trim really make? I know it helps with wear on the drive but how much realistically? Adds 1-2 years of life or what? Just curious in case it turns out that trim is still disabled and I cant figure out a way to enable it.

Thanks!
Ben Franklin

2X EVGA 660TI SLI
Dragon Test Bench Case