Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    If the system is very unstable, then UEFI may reset during POST. To debug this revert to stock, then apply very mild overclocks to the system over a period of a few days and see how the system responds. Be conservative during this period so you can get an idea which of the system clocks is a larger contributor.
    Thanks for the info!

Can it do a partial reset?

I sometimes find that my system resets -some- UEFI settings back to stock (for example, PLL overvoltaging). While some others stay intact (say, CPU vCore). I was not able to find a reason for such behaviour yet.

Can I actually disable any automatic UEFI resetting?
    Last edited by zalbard; 01-12-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Banned Array

god, this forums times out for hours sometimes ... been waiting for 5 hours to write a reply since reading yours.

hey, why you say that about offering your 2 cents one last time? are you frustrated, because you can't pinpoint the problem quickly, LOL? neither can I. but guess what, the party is just getting started, so bare with me please, relax, more quests are coming, I'm sure

that being said, I have a surprise for you , another ROG member (same board, 1604 BIOS, win8 x64 OS) is experiencing exact same problem with AIDA64 running (no other monitoring software), met the guy in AIDA bug report forums, thread here:
    http://forums.aida64.com/index.php?/...in-background/

also, as I said, the CPU is perfectly stable at all clocks I tested during last week ... other than weird problem with AIDA (which so far looks like BIOS vs AIDA conflict to me as stated in title of this thread all along). again, not sure if you read my reply or missed it like before, the problem still happens with CPU at stock speeds, no it has not degraded, it's perfectly fine.
    The main reason I say this, is pretty simple (maybe not entirely conclusive, but works for me) - IF CPU was at any kind of fault here it would produce a BSOD most likely on at least one occasion while it never did when system suddenly shut down at idle or unexpectedly restarted (again, with no BSOD). There is no BSOD IMHO, since the issue is happening on BIOS level and is electrical in nature (like someone hit the reset button or shut down system forcefully) is my only explanation of this phenomenon. While if CPU was unstable, be it at idle offset or light load or whatever, it would throw a BSOD (e.g. 101 or 124 or whatever else related), it never happened during this problem we are discussing here. It's pretty hard not to agree with that, at least in my own experience with computer hardware (stock or overclocked).

I am still waiting on response (or rather new ideas) from AIDA developers and currently testing the latest beta version of AIDA to see if the problem persists ... threre is a chance of course that AIDA is bugged since without it the problem doesn't happen, but if so then why the fault looks like it was happening on hardware level (no BSOD) and how possibly a monitoring software is able to generate something like that on an otherwise perfectly stable system ...
    however other user in AIDA (same guy I mentioned), said it didn't help him, problem persists whenever he keeps AIDA running... I invited him to this thread.

I haven't heard of those microcode vs RAM IC compatibility issues, but am glad my sticks are not on the list of possibilities... and simply thy never cause any trouble when AIDA is not running, so why would they be the source of trouble when light load of AIDA is there?

I agree totally with you on the idea of testing by means of a fresh OS install, as the matter of fact I was in process of getting a spare & tested HDD (got it) so I could install fresh win8 x64 with only the device drivers and AIDA64 to see if problem persists and if I can replicate it this way.
    This test (with a spare HDD) would rule out 2 things:
    a) current daily OS settings/apps being a problem - fresh install, different OS
    b) SSD being at fault for some mysterious reason when AIDA runs - SSD will get removed from puzzle entirely

There is of course one other possibility if that is not the BIOS & AIDA combo causing/triggering it, it could mean the board is faulty, but hopefully it could be ruled out by the fact that it behaves perfectly fine with older 704 BIOS (then AIDA doesn't harm it).

Let's get this party started, the truth must be out there, I'm not alone on this now

Quote Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post
    I am not sure you are going to listen to me but I'll offer my 2c one last time in this thread:

If you have a spare HDD, perform a Windows install on it with AIDA. IF no crash at idle then you will know it is one of your app combos. If it were me this system would be at bone stock as well - I never trust stress tests or overclocks to debug a system properly (but that's just me, I suppose that happens when you know how things work on a more granular level).

If the system still crashes and it revolves around idle - you have a couple of possible perpetrators. One is the CPU has deteriorated a bit so the the low end VCore is insufficient as loading modulates. There could also be a change in the microcode that affects the PCU and Offset mode voltage, to the extent where low end VID or load step VID is lower than the CPU needs. In this case the VID will need to be increased to counter. Simple debug for that as well would be to use manual VID set to what the CPU needs at full load and see if the machine still crashes when left alone.

The other would be that there's a combination of something in the newer microcode that interferes with low power states on the DRAM kit you are running (I have known of this before). Was a certain IC type, but Intel patched it later. Your kit does not fall into that category so, doubt it's that (plus no other reports is a big indicator for me). You can debug some of this by toggling the C-States one by one and then seeing which one exacerbates the problem. I would even go down to one memory module. Lastly, I would not install any IRST drivers on this test system, they have certain tie-ins to C-states as well, and are known buggy with some SSDs.

Such testing will take a few days, but given the variables, one needs to take as many out as possible to prevent pointing blame at the wrong thing.

This will at least stop you from taking your daily Win 7 install apart looking for a needle. If none of the above helps, then one can start looking at hardware at a deeper level. If there are no crashes of course, then you can start filtering out those background apps on your "everyday" install.

-Raja

Banned Array

wow! it's not limited to Maximus V Extreme boards! There is another ASUS motherboard user (P877 V PRO) who updated his BIOS to 1805 revision and now experiences exact same problems with AIDA and unexpected shutdowns at idle (when AIDA is running). He just posted in ADIA64 bug report I filed, link in above post.

on my side I can update that the problem re-occurred while the latest beta AIDA64 was running, 1604 BIOS here now, no other monitoring software was running (I closed all others like EVGAPX and RTTI)... it's not purely AIDA64 that is triggering it tho ... here's the thing. I started this new AIDA using remote desktop session (TeamViewer connection) while at work and it kept idling for 5 hours later with no trouble at 4.9GHz (my daily CPU overclock, rock solid, trust me on this) and I thought the case was solved ... was never so wrong ...

... Then I got back home, literally 15 minutes ago, powered up monitor (all running good) and disabled headphones from the integrated audio (Front Panel jacks), started Pandora radio app on speakers connected to rear IO and used the system for maybe 5 minutes at idle (was typing a PM to a friend in Firefox browser) ... mind it was idling then, literally zero load (save for Pandora playing) ... and then bam! it suddenly shutdown on its own without BSOD and I wasn't able to power it up again until I cycled the PSU.

... I also cleared CMOS and entered BIOS to only adjust my exhaust fan speed (rest is hooked up to external hardware controller), left everything at default stock like CPU, memory at 1333 ... upon Windows logon I heard lagging audio sound, never happened again once in desktop and all is normal gain ... wth ... My bet is on bugged BIOS and AIDA merely triggering it ... not sure what to think about the Realtek audio driver (latest official version here) now though ... perhaps this is what is conflicting with AIDA?
    Last edited by feniks; 01-12-2013 at 01:56 AM.

I'm having the same problem. On 1501 and 1604 with Sandy Bridge I7-2600K. Does not matter if at stock speed with auto settings or overclocked. In addition, does not matter if I have Asus AI Suite II with AIDA Extreme Edition, or just AIDA Extreme Edition. PC just shuts down sporadically on idle with AIDA EE running in the background. Once shutdown, PC will not turn on without power being cut from the motherboard.

No offense, but for a $400.00 motherboard catered to the enthusiast marketplace that more than likely will use a well known third party tool like AIDA EE is pretty lame (technically speaking).
    Last edited by Grymmie; 01-12-2013 at 08:32 AM. Reason: sig

Banned Array

Thank you for chiming in Grymmie and thanks for posting your experience!
    I agree with you, this situation is lame to say at least.

Would you care to list all of your hardware components in your case? it might help hardware-wise or drivers-wise to further pinpoint the problem. I am mainly interested in information if you utilize SSD and if you are using the integrated audio, knwoing your video cards brand and model could help too (all is possible at this point).

Welcome to the show of unexpected shutdowns featuring the new shiny ASUS BIOS and the old friend AIDA64 as a supporting actor here...

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmie View Post
    I'm having the same problem. On 1501 and 1604 with Sandy Bridge I7-2600K. Does not matter if at stock speed with auto settings or overclocked. In addition, does not matter if I have Asus AI Suite II with AIDA Extreme Edition, or just AIDA Extreme Edition. PC just shuts down sporadically on idle with AIDA EE running in the background. Once shutdown, PC will not turn on without power being cut from the motherboard.

No offense, but for a $400.00 motherboard catered to the enthusiast marketplace that more than likely will use a well known third party tool like AIDA EE is pretty lame (technically speaking).

-Grymmie

Here are my specs for your inspections
    Asus MVE @1707, IRST 12.5, MEI @ 8.01, w/Intel i7-3770K@4.60 Ghz @ 1.275 with .050 - offset, on Corsair H100, w/(4) Corsair XMS 2000 @ 2000 9-10-9-27-51 @1.65, (2) Crucial C300 128 GBs running in RAID 0 as primary drive, with 3 Terabytes of Data Drives. (1) Powercoler 7870 MYST stock.

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by Grymmie View Post
    Here are my specs for your inspections
    nothing in post, you mean your sig?

Asus MVE @1601, MEI @ 8.01, w/Intel i7-2600K@4.60 Ghz @ 1.32v with .050 - offset, on Corsair H100, w/(4) Corsair XMS 2000 @ 1866 9-10-9-27-51 @1.65, (2) Crucial C300 128 GBs running in RAID 0 as primary drive, with 3 Terabytes of Data Drives.

I see SSD ... interestingly, all of us having issues run SSDs ... but so many of us do nowadays ... are you using realtek on-board audio?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array stackoverflow13 PC Specs
    stackoverflow13 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaxius XI Formula
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)TEAM GROUP XTREEM " EDITION" PC4-32000C18 4000MHZ
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080TI
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080TI
    Sound CardCreative Xonar
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ 27-Inch ROG Swift 4K HDR
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro
    Storage #23x 2tb Samsung 860 Pro
    CPU CoolerXSPC Raystorm
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 800d
    Power SupplyCorsair ax860
    Keyboard Corsair k95
    Mouse Logitech g502
    Headset AKG K550
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterAsus

Hi Feniks, As promised from Aida forum, nice to see your rig buddy.

Raja: I can confirm exatctly the same as Feniks & others. Differance on mine is cpu=i7 2600k tried with both stock speed & clocked to 4.8. Also OS is win 8 x64.
    other specs are
    Gpus= 2x MSI Lightning GTX 680 SLI
    16Gb corsair vengence (tried at xmp profile & 1333)
    Crucial M4 ssd 512MB8
    x 2tb segate 2tb hdd
    Asus Xonar D2X

Same mobo, bios version is the newest 1604 also tried on 1501. Exactly the same symptoms as Feniks & others, when using Aida64 ( Imean absolutly exactly). Cpu is differant mem is differant OS (win 8 x64) is differant just mobo the same & we all use SSd's & gtx600's i think. However the errors i have seen beacuse they show on win 8 (sometimes) is whea_uncorrectable_error & dpc_watchdog_violation. These 2 show up sometimes but not always.

Could you help assist us?
    Clearly this is not an isolated situation as now more of us are reporting excatly the same.
    Last edited by stackoverflow13; 01-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

I am just a bystander in this thread, but I find it interesting.

Does Windows 8 (64) legitimately EVER shut down the PC without warning? Or is that a BIOS thing.

If the power IS shut down (whether by Windows or some other mechanism) what could possibly prevent a restart without first removing the power? Is that a BIOS thing?

Could there be a huge memory leak in something? Are you able to check memory usage over time while using the AIDA to see if there is a memory leak. I know Asus AI Suite II has a memory leak, I also know Corsair's own DIgital Link may also have a memory leak when left on.

Sorry for intruding...
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array stackoverflow13 PC Specs
    stackoverflow13 PC Specs
    MotherboardMaxius XI Formula
    Processori9 9900k
    Memory (part number)TEAM GROUP XTREEM " EDITION" PC4-32000C18 4000MHZ
    Graphics Card #1RTX 2080TI
    Graphics Card #2RTX 2080TI
    Sound CardCreative Xonar
    MonitorASUS PG27UQ 27-Inch ROG Swift 4K HDR
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro
    Storage #23x 2tb Samsung 860 Pro
    CPU CoolerXSPC Raystorm
    CaseCorsair Obsidian 800d
    Power SupplyCorsair ax860
    Keyboard Corsair k95
    Mouse Logitech g502
    Headset AKG K550
    OS Win 10
    Network RouterAsus

Quote Originally Posted by billyray520 View Post
    I am just a bystander in this thread, but I find it interesting.Does Windows 8 (64) legitimately EVER shut down the PC without warning? Or is that a BIOS thing.If the power IS shut down (whether by Windows or some other mechanism) what could possibly prevent a restart without first removing the power? Is that a BIOS thing?Could there be a huge memory leak in something? Are you able to check memory usage over time while using the AIDA to see if there is a memory leak. I know Asus AI Suite II has a memory leak, I also know Corsair's own DIgital Link may also have a memory leak when left on. Sorry for intruding...
    Not an intrusion at all, its nice to see general interest.Im by no means an expert compared to alot/most of the people here. But in response to your questions. It occurs with or without ai suite and it occurs at complete idle as well as under load.With regards the restart i dont know exactly why i belive it some sort of lock out to prevent damage this is done by the board/ bios,i may well be wrong about the why though. I do know it's nothing to do with memory and/ or leaks.Yes win 8 shuts down/ restarts just like win7 if something goes wrong. It's not significantly differant to win 7 in that respect.
    Glad to see you join the fun
    Last edited by stackoverflow13; 01-12-2013 at 01:12 PM.
    Asus Maximus XI Formula: i9 9900k @ 5.2 GHz: 2x8GB team group Xtreem Edition @4000Mhz: 2xRTX 2080TI: 1xSamsung 970 Pro, 3xSamsung 860 pro 2TB ssd: Creative Zxr: Custom water cooled loop: 2xAsus PG27UQ 4k @144Hz Gsync.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast