cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS resetting methods

HotSauceOnPasta
Level 8
Is there any difference between the following metods of resetting BIOS (clearing CMOS) settings:
1) inside BIOS, using option „Load Optimized Defaults” (or, if appickable, load fail-safe defaults)
2) at the back of the motherboard, pressing „Clear CMOS" button
3) on the motherboard, using the (CLRTC) jumper
4) on the motherboard, reseating (not a typo, for non-english speakers) the CMOS battery
5) reflashing BIOS using the same version (haven’t tried if possible, but just in theory)?

By the way, after flashing a newer BIOS, is there a need to load optimized defaults and then start setting everything up from there?
CRO AIR SLI ROG RIG:
PCMark 7: 6671 3DMark 11: P16718, X6969

MBo: Asus Maximus V Formula CPU: Intel i7-3770k (@4.6GHz)
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT (4x 4GB 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1T)
GPU: 2x Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC in SLI (@1200MHz)
SSD: 2x Corsair Force GT 240 in RAID0
PSU: Corsair AX1200 Cha: Lian Li X500FX
Coo: Prolimatech Armageddon Fan: 5x Prolimatech Vortex Aluminium

Mon: LG IPS235V Cam: Logitech C920 Spk: Logitech Z906
Kbd: SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mou: Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Mat: Razer Sphex
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
The item 1 is simple a BIOS reset and not a clear CMOS.

Clear CMOS does a factory reset, in other words returns your system to factory defaults. So when you next power up your system should behave as if it was powering up for the first time. That is why you are asked to F1 to enter the bios.

F5 or reset BIOS to defaults simply sets the default bios values. Any errors or corruption in BIOS is still present.

There are different ways to clear CMOS and depending on the way or method they will do slightly different things, but the core purpose is to reset to factory defaults.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Raja
Level 13
Method two is the easier way. It may not reset the RTC clock, but it's fine for everything else that you'd want to "reset" CMOS for - overclocking. That's why we put that switch where it is. The idea of the switch at the rear IO is to make resetting the board easier - it defeats the purpose of having it if you need to resort to taking the panel off the case and moving a jumper. SO I wold not focus too much on the "differences", just use the rear IO switch as it is the most convenient way.

The other methods are more cumbersome simply to clear CMOS.

Maybe a more pertinent question is, what issues do you have with UEFI that make using the rear switch ineffective? 😛

-Raja

HotSauceOnPasta
Level 8
@HiVizMan: Interesting, since the button is labeled "Clr CMOS" and F1 is required after it. 🙂

@Raja: I do like the button, but you have to admit that method one is easier (if everything works), 'cos you don't even have to get up off the chair to use it! 😄 No issues here, was just wondering, however, I'd like to use this opportunity to point out a few of my discoveries on and slightly off the topic:

1) in BIOS version 1408 clearing CMOS deletes O.C. Profiles, but in version 1604 they stay there (using methods 1) and 2), didn't test out others)
2) RAID settings seem to be written on the first disk in the array, resetting CMOS does not clear RAID, it has to be done in RAID utility
3) selecting Gamer's OC Profile resets all other BIOS settings, which might be a bug, or a feature 😛
4) on a rare occasion restarting Windows 8 resets some BIOS settings (under BOOT tab, Option ROM Messages goes back to Force BIOS and delay back to 3 seconds).

So, how do I clear O.C. Profiles without reflashing BIOS? And after flashing a newer BIOS, is there a need to load optimized defaults?
CRO AIR SLI ROG RIG:
PCMark 7: 6671 3DMark 11: P16718, X6969

MBo: Asus Maximus V Formula CPU: Intel i7-3770k (@4.6GHz)
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT (4x 4GB 2133MHz 9-11-10-27-1T)
GPU: 2x Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II OC in SLI (@1200MHz)
SSD: 2x Corsair Force GT 240 in RAID0
PSU: Corsair AX1200 Cha: Lian Li X500FX
Coo: Prolimatech Armageddon Fan: 5x Prolimatech Vortex Aluminium

Mon: LG IPS235V Cam: Logitech C920 Spk: Logitech Z906
Kbd: SteelSeries 6Gv2 Mou: Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Mat: Razer Sphex

Krindor
Level 11
I'm pretty much unable to answer your new questions but the reason method 2 is used is if the computer doesn't boot due to a heavily failed OC or if the BIOS are corrupt. Have happened to me some times where the computer wouldn't boot when setting default but would boot after clearing CMOS.

If you flash your BIOS with a new version the BIOS will be set to optimized default.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

i forgot my BIOS Admin Password and how can i reset it on x470 prime pro