Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boofsterb View Post
    I believe Slax is a slackware derived distro that is made to be a live OS (Pendrive).
    Will try and see how it works!
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Downloaded Slax 7.0 and ran it in live mode...Posting screenshots to show how little RAM it is using with KDE4. Sorry, @fostert, but this is pretty good RAM utilization with Firefox open (to the ROG homepage, of course ).
    Fresh boot in live mode:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SlaxFreshboot.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	16385
    Firefox open with two tabs:

Name:	SlaxVBox_Firefox.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	16386
    Firefox closed:

Name:	SlaxVBox_FirefoxClosed.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	16387
    Last edited by Zygomorphic; 01-27-2013 at 02:37 AM.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Know of any slack-derived live distros? Those would be the easiest for me to try. If not, I'll head to the greatest treasure trove of knowledge (Wikipedia ) and find one.
    According to DistroWatch the following 20 active distros are based on Slackware.

1. Slackware Linux (11)
    The Official Release of Slackware Linux by Patrick Volkerding is an advanced Linux operating system, designed with the twin goals of ease of use and stability as top priorities. Including the latest popular software while retaining a sense of tradition, providing simplicity and ease of use alongside flexibility and power, Slackware brings the best of all worlds to the table. Originally developed by Linus Torvalds in 1991, the UNIX-like Linux operating system now benefits from the contributions of millions of users and developers around the world. Slackware Linux provides new and experienced users alike with a fully-featured system, equipped to serve in any capacity from desktop workstation to machine-room server. Web, ftp, and email servers are ready to go out of the box, as are a wide selection of popular desktop environments. A full range of development tools, editors, and current libraries is included for users who wish to develop or compile additional software.

2. Slax (29)
    Slax is a Slackware-based bootable CD containing a Linux operating system, designed with a modular approach. Despite its small size, Slax provides a wide collection of pre-installed software for daily use, including a well-organised graphical user interface and useful recovery tools for system administrators.

3. VectorLinux (49)
    VectorLinux is a small, fast, Intel based Linux operating system for PC style computers. The creators of VectorLinux had a single credo: keep it simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating system is going to be. What has evolved from this concept is perhaps the best little Linux operating system available anywhere. For the casual computer user there is a lightening-fast desktop with graphical programs to handle daily activities from web surfing, sending and receiving email, chatting on IRC to running an FTP server. The power user will be pleased because all the tools are there to compile programs, use the system as a server or perhaps the gateway for home or office computer network. Administrators will be equally pleased because of the small size and memory requirements, so the operating system can be deployed on older machines that have long been forgotten.

4. Salix OS (51)
    Salix OS is a Slackware-based Linux distribution that is simple, fast, easy to use and compatible with Slackware Linux. Optimised for desktop use, Salix OS features one application per task, custom package repositories, advanced package management with dependency support, localised system administration tools and innovative artwork.

5. Zenwalk Linux (50)
    Zenwalk Linux (formerly Minislack) is a Slackware-based GNU/Linux operating system with a goal of being slim and fast by using only one application per task and with focus on graphical desktop and multimedia usage. Zenwalk features the latest Linux technology along with a complete programming environment and libraries to provide an ideal platform for application programmers. Zenwalk's modular approach also provides a simple way to convert Zenwalk Linux into a finely-tuned modern server (e.g. LAMP, messaging, file sharing).

6. Absolute Linux (55)
    Absolute Linux is a light-weight modification of Slackware Linux. It includes several utilities that make configuration and maintenance easier and it has many common desktop and Internet applications installed and configured with tight integration of menus, applications and MIME types. Absolute Linux uses IceWM and ROX for its window and file managers.

7. Slackel (70)
    Slackel is a Linux distribution and live CD based on Slackware Linux and Salix OS. It is fully compatible with both. It uses the current version of Slackware and the latest version of the KDE desktop. The Slackel disc images are offered in two different forms - installation and live.

8. Porteus (90)
    Porteus is a fast, portable and modular live CD/USB medium based on Slackware Linux. The distribution started as a community remix of Slax, another Slackware-based live CD, with KDE 3 as the default desktop for the i486 edition and a stripped-down KDE 4 as the desktop environment for the x86_64 flavour. The lightweight LXDE is available as an alternative desktop environment.

9. Superb Mini Server (137)
    Superb Mini Server (SMS) is a Slackware-based server distribution with web, DNS, DHCP, file, print and fax servers, iptables firewall, mail server with spam filter and anti-virus scanner, and BitTorrent station. It also includes Webmin, a web-based administration tool, but no graphical desktop. SMS, which comes with Slackware's text-mode system installer, is built using Linux-Live scripts (from Slax) and can be used as a live CD for testing purposes.

10. Wifislax (140)
    Wifislax is a Slackware-based live CD containing a variety of security and forensics tools. The distribution's main claim to fame is the integration of various unofficial network drivers into the Linux kernel, thus providing out-of-the-box support for a large number of wired and wireless network cards.

11. AUSTRUMI (160)
    AUSTRUMI (Austrum Latvijas Linukss) is a bootable live Linux distribution based on Slackware Linux. It requires limited system resources and can run on any Intel-compatible system with a CD-ROM installed. The entire operating system and all of the applications run from RAM, making AUSTRUMI a fast system and allowing the boot medium to be removed after the operating system starts.

12. Imagineos (188)
    Imagineos (formerly GoblinX) is a bootable live CD distribution based on Slackware Linux. The primary goal for Imagineos is to create a more pleasant and functional desktop, standardising all icons and themes to make it easy for novice users to learn about available applications.

13. Draco GNU/Linux (197)
    Draco GNU/Linux is a distribution based on Slackware Linux and pkgsrc, a package management system developed by NetBSD. It is distributed in the form of a minimal base system, but a range of additional software packages is available for installation from the project's FTP server.

14. CDlinux (203)
    CDlinux is a compact Linux mini-distribution. It ships with an up-to-date version of the Linux kernel, X.Org, Xfce window manager, and many popular applications. It has good internationalisation and locale support, and is highly user-configurable.

15. RIPLinuX (220)
    Recovery Is Possible (RIP) is a Slackware-based CD or floppy boot/rescue/backup/maintenance system. It has support for a lot of filesystem types (Reiserfs, Reiser4, ext2/3, iso9660, UDF, XFS, JFS, UFS, HPFS, HFS, MINIX, MS DOS, NTFS, and VFAT) and contains a bunch of utilities for system recovery. It also has IDE/SCSI/SATA, PCMCIA, RAID, LVM2, and Ethernet/DSL/cable/PPP/PPPOE network support.

16. Linvo GNU/Linux (242)
    Linvo GNU/Linux is a Slackware-based distribution and live CD/DVD. Some of its more interesting features include a careful selection of applications for every-day use, installable to hard disk from the live medium, use of software modules for extensive customisation of the live CD, availability of the GNOME desktop, applications installed and managed on a per-user basis, and out-of-the-box support for most multimedia formats.

17. Kongoni GNU/Linux (252)
    Kongoni GNU/Linux is a Slackware-based, desktop-oriented GNU/Linux distribution and live CD. Its main features include a graphical installer, a Kongoni Integrated Setup System (KISS), and an easy-to-use Ports Installation GUI (PIG). The distribution's package management borrows its main concepts from BSD ports, with an intuitive graphical package installer that compiles and installs programs from source code on the user's system.

18. JoLinux (272)
    JoLinux is a Brazilian desktop Linux distribution for x86_64 platforms based on Slackware Linux.

19. Plamo Linux (299)
    Plamo Linux is a Japanese Linux distribution based on Slackware Linux. The installer, and many text-based and graphical tools have been updated to include Japanese language support.

20. pQui Linux (309)
    pQui Linux is a Brazilian desktop-oriented distribution based on Slackware Linux.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Downloaded Slax 7.0 and ran it in live mode...Posting screenshots to show how little RAM it is using with KDE4. Sorry, @fostert, but this is pretty good RAM utilization with Firefox open (to the ROG homepage, of course ).
    Fresh boot in live mode:

Name:	SlaxFreshboot.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	207.4 KB 
ID:	16385
    Firefox open with two tabs:

Name:	SlaxVBox_Firefox.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	16386
    Firefox closed:

Name:	SlaxVBox_FirefoxClosed.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	16387
    Look's pretty good. I also like the fact that there's many modules to choose from.

Look's pretty good. I also like the fact that there's many modules to choose from.
    Yup! Now to create a bootable USB key and see if I get that little RAM usage on my main machine...

Yup! Now to create a bootable USB key and see if I get that little RAM usage on my main machine...
    I use Slax distro on a old asus eee 701. I swear it's the smallest laptop i've ever owned. Slax works perfectly with the atom processor and 2GB ram that the little eee offers.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Wow...don't be sorry, thats terrific actually. I am admittedly befuddled; X+TWM uses 232 MB, but that should be *much* less than any desktop manager like KDE. Which version of KDE is that? (3.X? 4.0?)

I am curious...could you boot slax fresh, opena terminal, type

sync && echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches

as root (to clear the RAM caching) and then report how much RAM X+KDE are using (say, with "top")? Thats how I check my RAM usage...I'd like to compare apples to apples, so to speak! Thanks!
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Top and MC (midnight commander) are both really cool terminal apps. I choose to use terminal apps on linux overall like when i browse kat.ph and download torrent files i'll use lynx and rtorrent

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Top and MC (midnight commander) are both really cool terminal apps. I choose to use terminal apps on linux overall like when i browse kat.ph and download torrent files i'll use lynx and rtorrent
    Yes, for sure; MC is a fantastic text-based file manager. Been around for a long time too (it was included in the early 90's distros yggdrasil (now gone) and slackware).

If you like top, try htop, which is like top on steroids; a much more informative terminal based process monitor.

My all time terminal fave is jstar, which is a text editor from the Joe's Own Editor package. Its a nice blend of emacs and the old word-processing program wordstar. Have used it for 18 years now of using linux. Wrote my thesis in it, code in it all the time, and use it to write my papers in LaTex.
    Last edited by fostert; 01-27-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    My all time terminal fave is jstar, which is a text editor from the Joe's Own Editor package. Its a nice blend of emacs and the old word-processing program wordstar. Have used it for 18 years now of using linux. Wrote my thesis in it, code in it all the time, and use it to write my papers in LaTex.
    I'll have to try jstar. I've always used vi for text editing.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast