cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Windows 8 will not activate

joerijoe
Level 7
I bought the new G46VW and had to do a full recovery. After doing this the computer boot with no problem but it says that Microsoft is "blocking" my product key. I am told buy Asus and the retailer that the product keys for OEM windows 8 laptops have the key embedded in the BIOS and it can not be seen buy the user or extracted. Microsoft refuses to activate the OS via phone activation as well.

What do i do.
4 REPLIES 4

Pandur
Level 10
Register your computer at asus.com and use the web service there to get your Windows 8 serial. Then try activating again. No guarantees, I just saw that option when I registered my laptop. 🙂
Asus ROG G55VW:
CPU: i7 3630QM
GFX: Geforce GTX660M with 2GB ram
RAM: 2x8Gb 2133MHz Kingston HyperX Impact (surprisingly the G55VW uses the 2133 X.M.P. profile)
Storage: RAID0 with 2x 256Gb Crucial SSDs (both msata, one in a sata adapter)

Pandur wrote:
Register your computer at asus.com and use the web service there to get your Windows 8 serial. Then try activating again. No guarantees, I just saw that option when I registered my laptop. 🙂

So I did this and was instructed to call Asus. I did so and the tech told me that they did not have the Keys and that I should sent the computer in to have it restored by Asus. This has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I have never had this kind of problem before. especially one so simply to fix. But I guess when you buy one of the new G Series laptops with windows 8 you buying the hardware and not the software. What happens after the warranty is up and I need to recover or want a fresh install. Do I have to go out and Buy a new copy of windows.

I may have to return this and go with a manufacture that will give me a key for my OS....:(

Pitcher1
Level 9
please connect to internet and hold computer to choose properties, choose Windows activation (View detail in Windows Activation).

rewben
Level 13
this is one of the problems with the new implementation of Microsoft to counter privacy.

i don't have solutions to your current issues (it's up to ASUS to provide a more practical solution), but there are a number of ways to reduce the pain:
1. clone it (you can use system backup and restore for this) - do this after a fresh install (with a working set of drivers, and all hardware and software that you need installed; and activated successfully);
2. back up the activation data - in case you do not like cloning, you can back your activation data up and restore it after the fresh install.