cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Black Screen Crash

Retired
Not applicable
While playing any game, my screen begins to flicker then eventually, the screen goes black and crashes forcing a reboot. Occasionally I experience the GSOD from games such as battlefield bad company 2 after playing for about 30mins to an hour.I used to get the BSOD but after some fixes, they don't appear but the black screen crashes still remain. Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

Retired
Not applicable
Kale wrote:
While playing any game, my screen begins to flicker then eventually, the screen goes black and crashes forcing a reboot. Occasionally I experience the GSOD from games such as battlefield bad company 2 after playing for about 30mins to an hour.I used to get the BSOD but after some fixes, they don't appear but the black screen crashes still remain. Any help would be appreciated.

Is your model the JH? If so I assume the BSOD fix was to flash the VBIOS. The only time mine has black screened was when I under clocked the ATI GPU.
When it happens are you on AC or battery? Do you have a gadget like GPU observer so you can verify that the GPU clocks up properly in game?

Retired
Not applicable
Yea I have the JH. I never flashed my VBIOS, the BSOD just kinda stopped after a while. I tried AC and battery, having the battery on increases the duration of each session to around an hour-2h while on AC it crashes sometimes instantaneously or up to around 30mins. I also experienced the GSOD today :S .Will DL GPU observer and get back to you. Tyvm

Retired
Not applicable
Right, this is what i got after playing crysis 2.

Internal Index: 1
Vendor: ATI
Name: Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
GPU Clock: 700MHz
MEM Clock: 1000MHz
Shader Clock: 0MHz
GPU Temp: 84°C
PCB Temp: 0°C
GPU Usage: 81%
MCU Usage: 0%
VPU Usage: 0%
FanLevel: 0%
FanRPM: 0rpm
PCIe: x16
Mem Total: 0MB
Mem Free: 0MB

irdmoose
Level 10
That fan reading bothers me. At 84C it should be at or near 100%. It may not be reading the fan from the motherboard though. Is your system moving air out the back when you're playing? It should be almost like a hair dryer at that temp. Also, what kind of surface is it sitting on when you're playing?

I'd recommend doing the vbios flash since you're having issues that may be fixed by a vbios flash.

Retired
Not applicable
Yea my fan seems to work fine, i normally play on wood. I'll try the vbios flash and hopefully i don't mess up :S

Thx for the reply