cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage Gene III locks up on suspend

salter00
Level 7
Hi,

I got this motherboard about 2 months ago and this is my first post. My motherboard locks up when entering suspend/standby but only if somebody moves the mouse/keyboard or uses the media center remote while it is getting ready to suspend. I say the motherboard locks up because the light starts blinking, but the fans come on full speed and you can't wake up the system, not even by pushing the power button. You have to power off the system to recover.

As long as you don't touch the mouse, keyboard, or media center remote after the monitor shuts off but before it finishes suspending, all is well - the fans stop, it enters suspend, the light blinks, and it resumes just fine when you press a key.

This is Win7 x64, 6GB ram, Intel Gulftown i7-990x cpu

I've been all over google and asus forums with no luck. I updated to the latest bios and have checked all the memory timings and whatnot and have installed all the latest drivers from asus and from intel. The bios mem timings weren't right, I fixed them, but the problem persists. BIOS is set to suspend to S3.

We use the system for media center, and if it you inadvertently use the remote control from across the room just when it tries to suspend, boom. Or if something comes across the network at the wrong moment, boom.

Any ideas why this motherboard locks up like this?

Aaron
10 REPLIES 10

salter00
Level 7
Also, I wanted to point out that I'm not doing any OC at all.

Wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I say I've checked google and these forums, THEN I find stuff. Specifically the following thread, and also "asus sleep of death" on google:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10051-RIVE-No-boot-from-sleep-mode&highlight=suspend

However, the solution in that link (enable c1e in bios) doesn't apply - c1e is already enabled on my system. I'm still looking, but the google threads don't exactly match my situation either and their answers when they actually get one don't seem to fix it.

Help still very much appreciated!!

HiVizMan
Level 40
Wake on sleep issues are most often an indication that the memory is not correctly set up. As you state you are not overclocked I take it then that your memory is simply connected and left as is.

What ram are you using, and have you enabled the XMP profile of that ram.

Based on historical events, I know that sleep is very memory dependant and would strongly suggest that you follow the memtest86+ guide in my sig to determine if your ram is sound.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi HiVizMan

I am using Kingston memory KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX at the default settings it comes up as (1333 9-9-9-24 <1.65V). This ram is on the QVL. I have not enabled the XMP profile, I will try that but I assume that would potentially make it LESS stable right?

This evening got away from me, but I'll try XMP and also run the memtest86+ and post results. Thanks for your help.

Aaron

HiVizMan
Level 40
Enabling the XMP profile will not or should not make your ram run less stable. What that will do is make your ram run at the rated speed, its design speed if you like. The defaults are simply stock settings to allow the system to boot most of the times on first install. I am not convinced that in all instances that means it is the most stable. But the Memtest86+ will clear up any doubts for you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi HiVizMan

Thanks for explaining that to me. I did the tests last night after the kids got to bed :). XMP is now enabled but unfortunately the problem still exists unchanged - the motherboard still locks up and fans still come on full blast if any sort of wake event/keypress occurs while the system is suspending. I also ran memtest86+ and after 3 rounds it found no errors. I think the ram is good, but I'll let it run overnight tonight to test it some more.

Do you have any other suggestions I can try? This lock up seems to happen a few times per week.

Aaron

Melting_Point
Level 10
You could try running on a single stick of Ram, and see if it still happen. Swap various combinations of ram and see if there's any sort of pattern.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

salter00
Level 7
I will try that and post back here

salter00
Level 7
Alright, I tried various single sticks of RAM in various slots, and although the machine booted and ran ok, the suspend problem remained, unchanged, in all the configurations I tried.