Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get past BIOS on 2 seperate mobo's

milne1969
Level 7
Hi,

I recently built a new watercooled system as follows:
Corsair Obsidian 800D case
Watercooled loop: 1 x XSPC EX 120mm Radiator. 1 x XSPC D5 Dual Bay Reservoir/ pump combo. 1 x XSPC Raystorm CPU waterblock. 3 x scythe gentle typhoon 120mm 1850 rpm 3 pin fans.
Asus Maximus V Gene mobo
Corsair Vengeance RED DDR3 8GB (2 x 4GB) PC3-17100C11 (2133 MHz)
Intel i5 3570K 3.4 GHz cpu
POV/TGT Geforce GTX 680 Beast watercooled (2GB)
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD
500GB internal HD
DVD/ CD RW optical drive

I firstly powered up just the loop to make sure there were no leaks, and once this had been running for sometime leak free I the powered up whole system.

I got into the BIOS, processor and hard drives recognized, and although RAM only initially running at 1333 MHZ, it was a simple process to enable XMP profile and run at 2133 MHz speed.

I then inserted new windows disk and re-started, but system kept going straight back into BIOS and wouldn’t boot from CD or my internal 500GB disk drive (has windows 7 on already).

I tried upping the voltage to the RAM, and then running the RAM at 1333 MHz, and then just using 1 stick but all to no avail.

As a last resort I updated the BIOS to the latest version and finally managed to boot from the windows CD, but on the next restart I again couldn’t get out of the BIOS.

I initially thought it might be the motherboard not working so I ordered a new ASUS P8Z77-V LK, but again I can’t get out of the BIOS with this board too.

As a temporary solution I’ve connected up my old motherboard (Asus P5Q Deluxe, Conroe 2.4 GHZ cpu, 2 x 1GB DDR2 Corsair dominator 800 MHz) and this works fine with the watercooled set up. I installed my new copy of windows 7 on the SSD.

By a process of elimination it seems to me that either the RAM or the processor is faulty, with my money going on the RAM.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as to how I might get the new system to work.

Many thanks in advance.
18 REPLIES 18

HiVizMan
Level 40
In the BIOS if you select the fail-safe defaults F5 and enter. And then F10 and enter to save and exit. Your system will then be at default values.

Ensure your hard drive is in the Intel SATA port.

Are you able to proceed at defaults.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

milne1969
Level 7
Hi,
Many thanks for the reply, I have already tried this, but unfortunatly it didn't help 😞

Do you have your Optical Drive and Boot Drive on the same SATA controller?
i7-3820 @ 5.0Ghz - RIVF - 32GB Kingston @1866 - Gigabyte Radeon 7970 x2 - Cosair Force GT 240GB x2 (RAID 0) - WD 2TB 7200 (RAID 1)

No, i put the boot drive on the intel 6 Gb/s controller and the optical drive on the 3Gb/ s black one.

HiVizMan
Level 40
It sounds to me like you have a bad bios flash.

Please use a fat formatted USB stick and re-flash your bios via the EZflash utility that is found in the tools section of the bios menus.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Ok I''ll give that a go. Many thanks

Radiant_mind
Level 9
What is displayed on the screen when you attempt to boot to the windows disc? Does it POST and just throw you into the BIOS or do you receive any message about there being no media? Can you clarify a bit more when you say you "can't get out of the BIOS"?
i7-3820 @ 5.0Ghz - RIVF - 32GB Kingston @1866 - Gigabyte Radeon 7970 x2 - Cosair Force GT 240GB x2 (RAID 0) - WD 2TB 7200 (RAID 1)

Yes sorry, I keep getting the A2 error code on the board.

Radiant_mind
Level 9
A2 refers to IDE detect. Which is too vague. Are your controllers set to AHCI? Also, can you clarify more on what you visually see on your screen during the entire process. You haven't quite answered my previous question.