cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD and HDD

funnybiscuit
Level 9
So i've done a little research about the ssd i'm about to get, Corsair Force GT 120GB, and it turns out that this ssd has the SandForce which has caused quite some problems for people. I'm not sure if the Samsung 840 Series have that too though.

My main question though, if you had a choice to pick between the Corsair Force GT 120GB and Samsung 840 Series 120GB, which one would you pick? and if possibly, why?

And if you're answer is you'd pick none of these, which one would you pick?

Similiarly i have a question on the HDD i'll be getting later after i've built my rig.
WD Black 1TB a good choice or should i go with Samsung F3 1TB?
I've even seen a Seagate Barracuda 3TB been used for a gaming rig.

Is okay that i'll be installing the HDD later?

Thank you! 🙂

AkaJuu
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB 1600MHz RAM
MSi Radeon HD 7970 3GB Lightning Series GPU
Samsung 840 Series120GB SSD
Zalman Z11 Plus MidTower Case
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 REPLIES 20

Chino
Level 15
The Samsung 840. Hands down. While most vendors purchase drive controllers from a third party like Sandforce, Marvell, Indilinx, etc., Samsung builds its own controllers from scratch. So when you purchase one of their SSD, you're purchasing a 100% Samsung built drive.

When it comes down to platter drivers, there aren't many differences. Picking a brand is a matter of preference. Either one will do the job. Yeah, you can install it later. It's just a matter of connecting it and setting it up via the Disk Management Utility.

kkn
Level 14
you can instal hdd at enny thime you want.
i had 2 corsair ssd's that i had problems whit ( was buggy controller from maker side ).
i guess i can sugest the samsung one, ive never tried it personaly tho.

HiVizMan
Level 40
I have used many 100's of SSD's over the last two or so years. The first batch of sandforce controllers did cause many (far too many) sudden and unexpected deaths of SSD. That has I understand been resolved.

However I switched to Samsung due to their superior controller from a longevity and reliability perspective. Real world usage you are not going to notice any difference between SSDs to be honest. Now 18 months later and the introduction of the 540 range I have continued to use their product.

And not one failed SSD, touch wood from Samsung yet.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

1badk10
Level 8
I personally like Intel series SSD's, No problems to date. Had for about a year. I've heard very good remarks on the Samsung 830, and heard the 840 has had a few issues, don't know if that's fixed tho.

TenBlade
Level 11
I´ve come to the point where I´m for the Samsung 830-series.
And for more knowledge of SSDs http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I have a 120 GB GT Force 3 SSD and a Samsung 830 120GB, they are both great drives and I cannot fault either one...but at least, with getting a Samsung, you know they make their chips and whatnot, so everything is done in house, unlike Corsair who source their chips etc and have to leave it to someone else to fix problems.

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
I have a 120 GB GT Force 3 SSD and a Samsung 830 120GB, they are both great drives and I cannot fault either one...but at least, with getting a Samsung, you know they make their chips and whatnot, so everything is done in house, unlike Corsair who source their chips etc and have to leave it to someone else to fix problems.

Meaning that the samsung 830 is more reliable right? 🙂
As i posted, i've decided, but this was helpful as well coming from someone who has both drives ^^

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted twice, don't know how to delete

AkaJuu
NZXT Hale 90 650W PSU

funnybiscuit wrote:
posted twice, don't know how to delete

Choose Edit, there´s a delete option :cool: