cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with upgrading my laptop's RAM

Xehanort
Level 8
First of all, here's my laptop's specs just so if they're somehow needed (ASUS N53Jq):

. Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
. CPU: Intel i7 740QM (1.73GHz, Turbo2.93G, 6MB)
. Memory: 6GB
. Hard Drive: 640GB
. Screen: 15.6" LED 1366*768
. Chipset: Intel HM55
. Video: NVidia GT425M 1GB VRAM

So anyway, I wanted to upgrade my laptops RAM so it can handle heavy programs like Vegas Pro, Photoshop and CorelDRAW better than it does now since I have some heavy HD footage to edit. My fears come from the fact that i've never done this before in my life, so I wanna be aware of what i'm doing here before I completely screw my laptop up for good. My questions are:

. How do you install more RAM? I know it's a little "card" that you insert in a slot inside the laptop, but is inserting it enough or do you have to change the BIOS or install it manually or something?
. How do I know how much RAM my PC can handle? (EDIT: Already found out, thanks anyway)
. Is there anyway to know if the RAM is inserted well in the slot? I want to know this before I try it for the first time...
. Is it reccommended to make use of all slots, or the less slots used the better?
. Are RAM "cards" universal, or are some of them incompatible with certain computers/laptops?

Sorry for having such doubts, it's my first time doing this and I don't want to screw it up in any way. So this is what crucial.com had to say about my PC's RAM:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/8775/crucialramscan.png

So should I go with their advice of 4GBx4 on all slots, or do you reccommend me any better setup?

Thank you for your time.
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
. How do you install more RAM? I know it's a little "card" that you insert in a slot inside the laptop, but is inserting it enough or do you have to change the BIOS or install it manually or something?
Since we're working with a laptop, you just need to insert it in the slot. There is no need to configure anything in the BIOS. When it comes to desktop computers, sometimes you need to get into the BIOS to configure RAM speed.

. Is there anyway to know if the RAM is inserted well in the slot? I want to know this before I try it for the first time...
If installed properly, you should hear a "click" sound when you push the RAM into the slot it snaps into place.

. Is it reccommended to make use of all slots, or the less slots used the better?
Well, since your laptop supports up to 16GB, might as well fill all the slots once and for all. 😉

. Are RAM "cards" universal, or are some of them incompatible with certain computers/laptops?
The key to buying RAM is to get the speeds that your laptops supports. For example, your laptop supports 1066Mhz and 1333Mhz. Since you'll be using memory intensive programs, you'll benefit from faster RAM.

Pitcher1
Level 9
if you can change by youself, but you must be follow the spec that is post at ASUS support site and just turn on the Back cover than change, if you are warry it can be take to reseller or ASUS service center to chagne it.

Ok guys, i just went to my local electronics store and bought 2 of these: Corsair - 4GB 1.3GHz DDR3 SoDIMM Laptop Memory.

I wanted to get Kingstons, since I have a good history with that brand, but they didn't have any 😞

According to crucial's report, it has the same exact reccommended specs. Only thing I couldn't find out is the voltage, if it's either 1.35 or 1.5. The man at the store said it would be ok either way, but it's still kinda stuck on my mind right now...
I bought two because I want to try with 8GB first, and only if that isn't enough for what i'm trying to do then i'll get one or two more. The man at the store did his own research (because he doubted my laptop had 4 slots xD) and yeah he guarranteed me these would work on my laptop. He also reccommended me to remove the original ones and work only with these, because of the 1333mhz and if I had the other 2 inside then I wouldn't get the 1333mhz and only get the 1060 or something. So yeah, little relieved now but i'd still like to hear it from you guys too...

Now all that's left is open the laptop and put them in...which is kinda scaring me now xD I'll follow this tutorial on Youtube and hope for the best. Any tips you can give me about being careful with it, or inserting it in the slots or anything I might miss?

Thank you for all your help.