cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VW Win 8 Clone to SSD issue

jackmang
Level 7
Note: This post is specific to the Windows 8 G75 model, it don't think it applies to Windows 7.

I bought the G75 with windows 8 installed last week. It came with a 750GB drive and I intended to replace with an SSD. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro and proceeded to attempt to clone the 750GB drive to it since there is no recovery media included with the WIndows 8 distribution (and no way to create the media as there was in previous Windows 7 models). I do have my own Windows 8 media available from a previous computer, but not from ASUS. I used the free version of Macrium Reflect and cloned all partitions except for the 😧 partition which was empty anyway.

After the clone I removed the old drive and booted the SSD. Awesome, no problems apparent. SUPER FAST BOOT process. Later I decided to test that the recovery partition would boot properly. I rebooted and pressed F9. Doh! It immediately crashed to a screen saying something similar to the below:
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired\
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
Error code: 0xc0000225

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Start-up Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Pressing Enter or F8 resulted in additional clarification of:
The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

I figured no big deal, just reboot normally. Nope, it did the same thing saying I needed recovery. No efforts I tried would enable it to reboot. I was ready to reinstall the 750GB and start over when I found this post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/i-get-your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired...

It wasn't exactly the same scenario, but I followed the suggestion to boot from the install CD (remember, I had one from a previous system):
Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...
Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
CMD> bootrec /scanos
CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd
CMD> bootrec /fixmbr
CMD> bootrec /fixboot
Reboot.

I tried this procedure and it was magically fixed! Awesome, but clearly the F9 recovery method was non-functional. I still have not determined how to properly fix my system so that the recovery partition will boot on F9. It appears to me that when you press F9 it must remap the boot process temporarily to launch recovery (failing in my case). I would guess that when that is working properly it will remap the boot back to C:, but this isn't happening since the recovery partition doesn't actually launch. This is just my guess and could be completely wrong. I did press F9 again to ensure that it was the cause of the problem and it happened exactly the same and I fixed it again with no problem other than wasted time.

I do have a functional system, minus the recovery functionality, but I have this fear of mistakenly recreating the problem somewhere down the road and being without a handy recovery DVD to perform the fix.

So, my questions:
1 - Has anyone successfully imaged/cloned a Windows 8 G75 and been able to retain the recovery functions? If so, what did I do wrong?
2 - Does anyone know how to fix what I am describing so that the recovery partition actually works?
3 - Does anyone understand what exactly F9 does to remap the boot process?
12 REPLIES 12

yangshfmarine
Level 7
I have EXACT situation as yours...Except mine is for Asus G75VX...

Done EXACTLY like you did and had same problem and questions.
Did you ended up finding a way? (except to live with the SSD without recovery)?

GottiBoi55
Level 10
jackmang wrote:
Note: This post is specific to the Windows 8 G75 model, it don't think it applies to Windows 7.

I bought the G75 with windows 8 installed last week. It came with a 750GB drive and I intended to replace with an SSD. I bought a Samsung 840 Pro and proceeded to attempt to clone the 750GB drive to it since there is no recovery media included with the WIndows 8 distribution (and no way to create the media as there was in previous Windows 7 models). I do have my own Windows 8 media available from a previous computer, but not from ASUS. I used the free version of Macrium Reflect and cloned all partitions except for the 😧 partition which was empty anyway.

After the clone I removed the old drive and booted the SSD. Awesome, no problems apparent. SUPER FAST BOOT process. Later I decided to test that the recovery partition would boot properly. I rebooted and pressed F9. Doh! It immediately crashed to a screen saying something similar to the below:
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired\
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.

Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Start-up Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings

Pressing Enter or F8 resulted in additional clarification of:
The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi

I figured no big deal, just reboot normally. Nope, it did the same thing saying I needed recovery. No efforts I tried would enable it to reboot. I was ready to reinstall the 750GB and start over when I found this post:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/i-get-your-pc-needs-to-be-repaired...

It wasn't exactly the same scenario, but I followed the suggestion to boot from the install CD (remember, I had one from a previous system):
Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...
Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
CMD> bootrec /scanos
CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd
CMD> bootrec /fixmbr
CMD> bootrec /fixboot
Reboot.

I tried this procedure and it was magically fixed! Awesome, but clearly the F9 recovery method was non-functional. I still have not determined how to properly fix my system so that the recovery partition will boot on F9. It appears to me that when you press F9 it must remap the boot process temporarily to launch recovery (failing in my case). I would guess that when that is working properly it will remap the boot back to C:, but this isn't happening since the recovery partition doesn't actually launch. This is just my guess and could be completely wrong. I did press F9 again to ensure that it was the cause of the problem and it happened exactly the same and I fixed it again with no problem other than wasted time.

I do have a functional system, minus the recovery functionality, but I have this fear of mistakenly recreating the problem somewhere down the road and being without a handy recovery DVD to perform the fix.

So, my questions:
1 - Has anyone successfully imaged/cloned a Windows 8 G75 and been able to retain the recovery functions? If so, what did I do wrong?
2 - Does anyone know how to fix what I am describing so that the recovery partition actually works?
3 - Does anyone understand what exactly F9 does to remap the boot process?

Try "Macium Reflect Free", supports GPT partitioning.
This should work, most here used this and had great success.
Clink on link below

• A complete disaster recovery solution for your home
    and office.

• Protect your personal documents, photos, music
    and emails.

• Upgrade your hard disk or try new operating systems in the safe knowledge that everything is securely saved in an easily recovered backup file.

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:

Try "Macrium Reflect Free", supports GPT partitioning.
This should work...

Without a How-to maybe not for everyone.
jackmang wrote:

I used the free version of Macrium Reflect
So, my questions:
what did I do wrong?

Karrde wrote:
Without a How-to maybe not for everyone.

He must have corrupted the "recovery partition" someway.
If you follow the step by step instruction all should have been alright as stated per Macrium!
(
Upgrade your hard disk or try new operating systems in the safe knowledge that everything is securely saved in an easily recovered backup file.)
There should be a "recovery backup file" to bring everything back to the factory installed OS!

@Jackmang: Look for the "backup file", and follow the instruction per "Macrium" on how to recover back to the factory OS system before you did the clone!

GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

pathfindercod
Level 8
Macriym doesn't do it. I even purchased the professional version as suggested my Macrium (had a 50% off coupon) still didn't work. I since hav whist fostered and did a clean I stall of win 8 and left it alone. I do wih I knew how to clone the recovery partition and make it work.

pathfindercod wrote:
Macriym doesn't do it. I even purchased the professional version as suggested my Macrium (had a 50% off coupon) still didn't work. I since hav whist fostered and did a clean I stall of win 8 and left it alone. I do wih I knew how to clone the recovery partition and make it work.

well a lot of people here had great success with Maricum,

Here's a link that might help>>>>>Thread:
How do I properly clone my Asus G55vw 500gb HDD to a SSD?

GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

pathfindercod
Level 8
It'll clone the data drive and necessary partitions just fine and work but I have tried several times and support can't forgive out why either the factory restore partition just doesn't work.

cosmicmango
Level 10
jackmang wrote:
Note: I used the free version of Macrium Reflect and cloned all partitions except for the 😧 partition which was empty anyway.

Try cloning all partitions including the 😧 there's probably hidden files in it.
G752VY-DH72

GottiBoi55
Level 10
This is another link that will help with the cloning issue!>>>>>Help with Windows 8 transfer on G75
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"