Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing 6Gb from my installed 8Gb RAM

Retired
Not applicable
Greetings,

I purchased a G53JW with 8Gb RAM. It is running Windows 7 Home Premium

2 weeks ago I suddenly found it struggling to open firefox. I checked and saw that win7 is only reporting 2gb of RAM.

I checked the bios and it is reporting 8192 correctly

I have asked both asus support and google for assistance and both have come up empty handed.

Can someone please share their solution or point me to my next step

Thanks
seitlich

PS

things I have done so far
- reset bios
- removed and reinserted 1x 4Gb stick then rebooted (i havent booted up the laptop with only 1 gb ram stick)
- installed ubuntu (also showing 2gb ram)
4 REPLIES 4

irdmoose
Level 10
I would run a memory test with either the Windows built in memory tester or Memtest86+. If you're within the return/exchange window I would recommend exchanging for a new one. If not, you may need to RMA it.

Retired
Not applicable
thanks
it looks like thats the way its heading

is this issue something that frequently for Asus users??

irdmoose
Level 10
I wouldn't say it's a frequent issue at all. This is the first instance of this problem I've seen. The Gx3JH's seem to be having trouble with their GPU, but the Gx3JW's and beyond seem to have much fewer problems. The rate of issues for the JW's and beyond seems to be fairly normal for most laptop vendors, if not a little better than most others. However, that is my personal opinion, and I'm not directly connected to Asus as anything other than a user.

Chastity
Level 10
Open up msconfig.exe, hit the Boot tab. Then open up Advanced Options.

You'll get a screen with one option listed as Maximum Memory. Make sure it is unticked.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]