cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For One of the Laptop experts at ASUS

FalloutBoy
Level 7
This is possibly a dumb question but I have to ask it anyway otherwise I will never know the answer.

I have an G75VX which supposedly has a UEFI bios.

I have also got a Maximus IV Extreme Z which also has a UEFI bios.

Now my understanding of this may be incorrect but it was that UEFI bios's were graphical as in that found on my ME IV Z.

Am I correct in my thinking and the G75VX will end up with a graphical bios and just doesn't have one at the moment because its so new? or is it a case that the particular chipset/cpu combo forced ASUS's hand into putting in a textual bios because of all the security key stuff?g

I would be interested in knowing just to know if my understanding is wrong or right or if it related to the hardware.

Thanks in advance.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha
9 REPLIES 9

DirtyCodingHabi
Level 9
I also wondered about this. Far as I know UEFI is graphical interface.

gokica
Level 10
UEFI is the BIOS replacement that meets the new standards like GPT for higher capacity HDDs (above 2TB). The graphical GUI is just nice thing enabling us to use the mouse and roam faster on the screen.

Besides the graphical interface it would be nice if ASUS can provide an extended bios for some overclocking and fans control.

After all it is a ROG laptop. 😉

Besides the graphical interface it would be nice if ASUS can provide an extended bios for some overclocking and fans control.

I won't disagree with that ; especially since my last laptop a Qosmio X500 came first of all with a NFR bios that locked out 1 core, a rescue and recovery system that was not working and when the bios was corrected the CPU was running so hot it burnt my leg.

In saying that the G75VX is the coolest and quietest running laptop ive ever come across even in a room with an ambient temp of 28c. I have a Logitech notebook 17" cooler and I don't need it with the ASUS I don't dare not use it with the Qosmio.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

gokica wrote:
UEFI is the BIOS replacement that meets the new standards like GPT for higher capacity HDDs (above 2TB). The graphical GUI is just nice thing enabling us to use the mouse and roam faster on the screen.

After all it is a ROG laptop. my Asus P8Z77-V has more options then the G55vw I don't know why they call it a ROG laptop. Also a good unlocked bios with all the option so i can go higher then 209.
Also what with the cheap wireless card. 2.4gHZ had to go get A 5 ghz now i get real speed Wireless N speeds on Network. Don't get me wrong i Love my G55vw But Don't understand Why cheap out on a gaming laptop. When a 5ghz wireless card is 27.00 dollors in canada.I upgraded from a asus M70.

X-ROG
Level 15
UEFI allows graphical BIOS' but the two are not one and the same.

G5s are UEFI - they incorporate UEFI extensions necessary for certain modern functions - but they don't need graphical BIOS' because there's rarely any need to enter the BIOS. Maybe to change the boot priority, that's about it.

ROG is not just about overclocking. In fact, you cannot overclock anything but the $1,000/55W Extreme edition mobile chips, which would make the G series price extortionate. Simply, the G and CG series are about giving the best package for gamers at certain price: performance: feature ratios.

@MarshallR is right. There is little that needs to be routinely changed in the G-series laptop BIOS. Since they aren't meant to OC, you should only need to play with the settings on a rare occasion, rather than really frequently.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

gokica
Level 10
ROG associates many of us with enthusiasts' class hardware which implies enthusiast settings available.

It is up to ASUS and the warranty policy (not many people sending back their hardware burnt or damaged back to ASUS) but we all know that more tweaking options will always attract more interest on the market.

Tweaking options should be there not just because the hardware requires them but because users like to have those options available for playing with the toys that ASUS produces like temperatures tweaking, overclocking etc. This is what provides tons of thrills even though we all know that the laptop is working perfectly fine without any of those.

Anyway for me, having Optimus available will be sufficient. 😉

Although OCing is interesting and educational I believe the majority of consumers are more interested in the plug n play route (hence tablets, cell phones OS's and Win8). This may be a view taken by Asus (Consumer Demand), unfortunately for tweakers and box builders there isn't enuff demand for Asus to roll out a compressed system (Laptop) with all the options.

For all the modders and tweakers if you want to test hardware out just build your own (laptop, desktop, cube, entertainment center, etc...)
or start disassembling you're rig and get in there and see what it can do.

Regards,
fellow enthusiast

@boofsterb, I have to agree with you, one of the side-effects of a free-market economy (which I highly support, since it creates lower prices for all and better choices). As fewer and fewer people are willing to mess with their equipment, the cost of tweakable hardware is going to go up.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23