cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding my windows 8 OEM serial

veer01_42
Level 8
As the title says, How do i get my windows 8 OEM serial for a reinstall.

I accidentally botched my Win 8 install before i could run magic jellybean keyfinder. I got m hands on a windows 8 AIO iso but it is asking for me to manually input the serial. Anyone have any answers as how to handle this?
16 REPLIES 16

rewben
Level 13
get your hands on untouched w8.

FalloutBoy
Level 7
veer01_42 wrote:
As the title says, How do i get my windows 8 OEM serial for a reinstall.

I accidentally botched my Win 8 install before i could run magic jellybean keyfinder. I got m hands on a windows 8 AIO iso but it is asking for me to manually input the serial. Anyone have any answers as how to handle this?

I don't know what your model is but do you have a set of rescue and recovery disks if so you could restore from those or depending on how they are built the serial number for windows is included in a file on one of the cd's and can be extracted with windows deployment tools.
Failing that the only thing I can think of is that you photograph the bottom of the laptop where the serial number and model number are and send an e-Mail to ASUS asking them in the nicest kiss up tone you can manage if they will give you the serial number associated with your Laptop if it is at all possible.
I don't know if ASUS stores that information but it may be worth the time to send an e-Mail what have you got to lose they can only say one of three things, we dont have that information, we wont give it to you or yes here you go.

Good luck - your situation sucks.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

I figured it out, see my post here to get links to the Retail Win 8 ISOs and a rundown of the Windows 8 OEM activation scheme.

veer01_42 wrote:
I figured it out, see my post here to get links to the Retail Win 8 ISOs and a rundown of the Windows 8 OEM activation scheme.

I managed to get the OEM key...
I actually used several programs, and they all came back with the same serial #.
But, when I used the win 8 ISO ( the proper core win 8, with proper hash etc), and when I entered the serial key
that I had retrieved, windows/Microsoft wouldn't allow install...stating not valid key.
Sadly, I am one of those that deleted my recovery partition ( or rather, forgot to back it up when I made the win 8
backup of my C drive) when downgrading from win 8 to win 7 pro.

I've been wanting to have a dual boot system now ( software reasons, and I don't want to run a vitual machine etc ).
I want win 7 pro ( which is the current OS )and now win 8 again to make up dual OS,( it's the win 8 that I want
to upgrade to win 10 when available from Microsoft.

Not sure what to do to get win 8 installed.
I saw somewhere where you can edit the ISO of win 8 , so that it does not ask for the key, but than after it installs
completely, it will than accept the embedded win 8 key.....not sure if this is true,...haven't tried it yet.

skidoo wrote:

But, when I used the win 8 ISO ( the proper core win 8, with proper hash etc), and when I entered the serial key
that I had retrieved, windows/Microsoft wouldn't allow install...stating not valid key.

Not sure what to do to get win 8 installed.
I saw somewhere where you can edit the ISO of win 8 , so that it does not ask for the key, but than after it installs
completely, it will than accept the embedded win 8 key.....not sure if this is true,...haven't tried it yet.

You could try to install Windows using a generic key? Generic keys doesn't let you activate Windows, they just let you install it. After the installation you should be able to activate within Windows using your own Windows key.

You could try to this generic key: 46V6N-VCBYR-KT9KT-6Y4YF-QGJYH (Windows 😎 (Source)
Or find another key here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

I'm not sure if any of these keys will work. If they doesn't work you can also try to contact Microsoft support for a generic key, or just try to google for other generic keys.

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can see the serial key in my computer -> preperties

mhmdnopy
Level 7
try this tool "RwPortableX64V1.6.7" open it .. click on ACPI at top choose MSDN ... YOUR KEY IN bottom

Clintlgm
Level 14
Ue the showkey program from this thread it will show you version and all the keys that are used such as OEM, if you added Pro, or WMC all keys will be shown.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Ue the showkey program from this thread it will show you version and all the keys that are used such as OEM, if you added Pro, or WMC all keys will be shown.

As stated, I did retrieve the OEM Key for the Win 8 that is embedded.
However, this key , when used, was deemed invalid when trying to do a fresh install of Win 8 (with correct core/hash etc)
?????