Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

If you pick up the laptop by one corner or press on it firmly, does it cause the battery LED to flash OR stop flashing?
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

brecker,

unplugging / plugging fixes the issue.
    Green/orange blinking starts randomly, i think... But always after using laptop on battery power.

Thanks for the idea with another OS! I'll try when it happens again.

I don't think it's the charger... My original asus charger burned out for no reason:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110220128229.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	734.4 KB 
ID:	9026
    there's a whole album here.

My new charger is 180W, which is greater then the original. Moreover, after i reattach the battery - it's charging OK, regardless of CPU & GPU load.

dstrakele,

I've just tried everything this... No luck..
    I wasn't able to detach the battery, even when I was pulling it out, it sits firmly.
    Nothing happens when I shake laptop, pick it up by one corner or apply some pressure on different points...

But i agree - bad/oxidized contacts might be the reason. The bad thing is - it's not easy to clean them.

Thanks for you replies!

ROG Enthusiast Array

Another thing I noticed - battery degrades very quickly.
    On those screenshots I've posted couple of days ago wear level is 11%. Now it's 29%. Though, I've only discharged it a couple of times since then.

Name:	bat4.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	9061

I think you may have a polarity problem as outlined by @breker in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post112124

He has posted that such a problem would result in increased battery wear.

ROG Enthusiast Array

dstrakele,

I doubt about feasibility of a problem breker had described... I'm pretty sure laptop won't work at all with PSU polarities mixed up..

Also, battery voltage is 14.8V while PSU voltage is 19V, so there should be a DC/DC converter between them...

I've just checked PSU's connector - there's nothing like excessive heat... It has room temperature. And it fits firmly...

I've just ejected the battery and ensured laptop would ran without it. Then I slightly moved the connector - still nothing. If there would be some connection issues, laptop would shut down...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Today, windows displayed 'Consider replacing your battery' icon... It's less then half of a year old.
    I rarely use my laptop on battery power... Last time was yesterday for 15 minutes. It looks like each time i use it on battery power its wear level increases ~3%.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	10527

My ASUS G74SX-A1 came with an ASUS 1 year Battery Warranty as described in the hardcopy Warranty card included in the laptop box. I recommend checking if this is part of the Limited Warranty on your laptop, and if so, use it to your advantage.

You'll have to balance this against the possibility that @breker's diagnosis of reversed polarity in the power adapter may be correct. As he stated in the post I referenced:

"I experienced this same issue with chinese chargers once or twice a year. The plastic that surround the wires internally melt because of heat and stress, so the positive and negative charges gets mixed. You would think this sort of problem will damage your laptop. But on most cases it only damages your battery. Don't be surprised if your battery's lasting time gets reduced drastically. Its life also does."

You're pretty sure this is not what's happening. Best be absolutely sure, or you'll be burning up another battery. @breker recommends testing the power adapter:

"I would suggest you test this before sending the laptop for an rma. You can do it yourself with a tester by checking if the polarity it gaves is the correct one; or you can take the charger to an electricity repair place and let them check it. There is no need in changing the whole charger. Only the pin and maybe some damaged cable. If you need some assistance to check with a tester i can give you instructions... "

I think that is the wisest choice of action.

I also recommend checking if your outlet is properly grounded. There could be a reason your original power adapter had a premature death.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 07-29-2012 at 10:40 PM.

New ROGer Array

hope this helps

i'm not sure if this will help but iv had my laptop for about 2 yrs now and i considering myself a heavy user with +2800 hrs of run time invested in gaming (according to steam) my battery discharged all the way while i was moving and was unable to charge after some time it would start having a blinking RED LED on the front so after days and days of research i isolated the problem to just the battery.

i ordered a new one off ebay that's same Mwh as the one that was installed with a minor increase on the volt .02 i believe now
    after i did this my blinking led and power problems went away. i'm shocked that a battery can cause that much issues in a laptop but maybe that's why your charger burnt up. i ended up taking the battery out because i noticed the laptop was pulling more
    power from the brick but of course the battery wouldn't accept any charge whatsoever.

i also was able to test my ASUS battery on another G73 and found out it caused my friends laptop to act haywire (his orginal
    battery is fine still) so i ran a test and got the same results on HWiNFO64.

so i highly recommend getting a replacement battery close to original ASUS one as possible. i spent $60 on mine with free
    shipping. if you want an OEM battery its gonna run you $150 ebay.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks for your reply, TwiSteDPaiN183!

My second battery cost me ~60$ too...

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    I recommend checking if this is part of the Limited Warranty on your laptop, and if so, use it to your advantage.
    Thanks for your suggestion, but laptop is more than a year old already. (Battery is less then a year old.)

@breker's diagnosis of reversed polarity in the power adapter may be correct.
    His suggestion looks pretty unfeasible.... There's an intermediate voltage stabilizer between battery and power unit (since there voltage is different), it won't work in both polarities.

I think that is the wisest choice of action.
    One of my reasons to post my screenshots here is to just keep track of battery history...

@breker recommends testing the power adapter:
    Well, OK, I've just checked both adapter' polarities with my tester. They both are the same (plus inside),and so it should be, i think.

I also recommend checking if your outlet is properly grounded.
    It's not grounded.... It's my bad, yep...

Quote Originally Posted by TwiSteDPaiN183 View Post
    so i highly recommend getting a replacement battery close to original ASUS one as possible. i spent $60 on mine with free
    shipping. if you want an OEM battery its gonna run you $150 ebay.
    So, my first battery died after ~1 year of use, and then i bought ~60$ replacement for it, just as you did. At first, it looked lite it's degrading much faster then the original... (See #23 & #26)

Though, today, I've noticed there's no more 'consider to replace you battery' notification (it appeared again a couple of weeks before) - battery chip seem to be reset.
    4% wear level is nice, though, discharge rate is quite high for idle CPU & GPU. It seem to be higher then it was before.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	11944

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast