cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh having battery problems

pnikkosis
Level 7
I had my G73jh for about 4 months now. A month ago started a weird hibertation/sleeping pattern, even on AC, and with everything turned off in Windows.
It magically worked out (or it was something microsoft broke and patch it later)
After that worked out, now I have battery charging problems. And I don't think it's my battery...
I turn on my laptop on battery and let it run for some time, let's say the battery drains till 30%, 20%, 15%, anything, pick a number. I then plug the AC and windows says it's connected and charing; but the battery is not charging. I could leave the AC plugged for an hour, 2, 3, whatever; and if I unplugged it again, it's at the same % as when I plugged it in.
It all works out if I turn the laptop off and let it charge, or if I restart windows. It's just starts charging again.

I used hwinfo32 to check the battery status, and when this problem happens, the "charge rate" it's 0.000W. If I unplug it, it goes to -66.xxxx W. I restart windows, check hwinfo32 again and it's charging at 33.xxx W
44 REPLIES 44

irdmoose
Level 10
Have you tried removing and reinserting the battery while the system reports a 0.0w charge rate? Also, check your power adapter to see if it's excessively hot.

The adapter is 24/7 extremely hot, since the day I purchased it. But all my laptop adapters get hot.
And yes, removed the battery and reinserted it, but it's the same.

irdmoose
Level 10
If it's still under warranty I'd recommend calling Asus about the issue. When you restart your computer, do you do a full shutdown and turn it back on with the power button or do you simply have windows do a restart where it doesn't turn the system off? If it's the former, there may be a problem with the charging system either not charging without a power cycle. It sounds like it may be RMA time.

Chastity
Level 10
Turn off any power level warnings in the power profiles, and then let the battery drain to 0. Then plug it in and recharge to full. Your ACPI Battery controller prolly needs a reset.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

@irdmoose Can't RMA, I'm in Argentina; Asus has no support here. Either situation you present fixes the problem and starts charging the battery.

@chastity Once the battery it's on 0, the laptop will shutdown as if I pull the AC and no battery is present? or will it just hibernate/sleep?
And once it's on 0 charge, should I charge it with the laptop off?

edit: Can't change the power saving options. The critical battery level can't be lowered more than 5% and the action taken when the level is critical it's either suspend or power off. So it'll never reach 0% battery.

Chastity
Level 10
Edit the power plan under Advanced settings in the Windows app. There's a reserved power level, Low Battery Action, Notification, Critical Battery Level and Action. Set these to 0%, and "Do Nothing" as appropriate.

I know, that's what I did. It can't be set to 0; the critical level it's in 5%, if I type 0 or lower it with the arrows it's just goes back to 5% when I try to apply it. And the action for critical level it's either suspend or turn off; there's no "do nothing", that option it's available only in the action taken by low battery level, not critical.

I want to unninstal power4gear, cause I'm sure that's f*cking up something, ever since I installed it I had problems. But there's not option nowhere, can't unninstall it.

edit: I found an explanation to the 5% problem:
http://www.howtogeek.com/58109/how-to-lower-the-critical-battery-level-to-1-in-windows-7/

irdmoose
Level 10
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Chastity was talking about the Windows UI for power settings. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power options, click "Change Plan Settings" for the active power plan, and then click "Change advanced power settings". You'll have to dig around in there to find the options, but you should be able to find them in there.

Chastity
Level 10
and P4GH should have an entry in your Windows Installed Apps list in Control Panel