cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Video Conversion

Callmebobzilla
Level 7
Hi all,

So I know that it's kind of a stretch creating this thread in this forum, but I would be doing this on my G75vw and, more importantly I know from reading through quite a few pages of threads that there is a huge community of experienced people here that that have been around the block a few times (some even as far back as when companies like Dell, HP and Gateway still included serial ports on the front of their desktop models, and when you knew you were cool if your desktop had a zip drive in addition to a floppy drive).

What I need help with is converting some old VHS tapes to digital format. I have a friend that used to be able to do it, but neither of us is sure if the connector on output of his converter is still found on modern computers, or if an adapter exists for it.

Now to head off some questions... no I don't know exactly what the connector is. It's a 15 pin trapezoid shape with three rows of pins... actually to me it looks similar to a VGA connector, but as I don't have the cable in front of me at the moment I can't see if it's actually that size or not.

If it'll be too much trouble to make the old converter work, does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about doing this cost effectively and with decent quality?

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
Sounds like a parrallel port.

The cheapest way would be getting one of those tv tuner/ video captures cards. I don't know how good KWorld or Sabrent quality wise but they're the first ones that come to mind. Installation is easy though. Just insert the PCI card into the computer. Install the drivers. Connect the VCR to the card with the RCA cables. Get something like Pinnacle to record the VHS.

That's the only method that comes to my mind lol. Maybe there are better ones out there. 😛

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Hi, I think this software, and adapter from Roxio may be what you are looking for Roxio Easy VHS to DVD
This has the analog to digital converter you need to transfer your VHS to digital format.

PS: BTW, welcome to ROG Forum!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Callmebobzilla
Level 7
Thank you both for the suggestions:)

We actually figured out how that old converter hooks into the computer. Turns out that the connector on the converter box is actually a female VGA port. It came as part of a video capture package that Dell put out years and years ago, and required a dedicated video capture card to be installed which had a male VGA port on it. However, after an entire day of problem solving this I think that my friend's old converter, has a bum rca input, and so I'll need to talk to my uncle, as I was going to convert the tapes for him, and suggest an alternative.

Of the two options you both presented, I think I would lean more towards a usb converter rather than buying a pci card which has to be mounted. Actually KWorld has such a product up on Newegg which got good reviews for the most part so I think that'll probably be what I suggest to him.

Thank you both again for the suggestions.

Callmebobzilla wrote:
Thank you both for the suggestions:)

We actually figured out how that old converter hooks into the computer. Turns out that the connector on the converter box is actually a female VGA port. It came as part of a video capture package that Dell put out years and years ago, and required a dedicated video capture card to be installed which had a male VGA port on it. However, after an entire day of problem solving this I think that my friend's old converter, has a bum rca input, and so I'll need to talk to my uncle, as I was going to convert the tapes for him, and suggest an alternative.

Of the two options you both presented, I think I would lean more towards a usb converter rather than buying a pci card which has to be mounted. Actually KWorld has such a product up on Newegg which got good reviews for the most part so I think that'll probably be what I suggest to him.

Thank you both again for the suggestions.

Yeah, the KWorld adapter should work well, and the "CyberLink Power Director software" is added plus.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

beastboy
Level 7
I Used the K world adapter over Christmas to Convert 12 VHS 2 hour tapes to PC

Works really well however the software is poor and stops often so I used Nero as the software and it was faultless:cool:
ASUS G75VX-DH72-CA 17.3-inch Republic of Gamers Gaming Laptop (Full HD display, Intel i7-3630QM, 16G DDR3, Nvidia GTX670MX 3G, 500GB + 256G SSD, Blu-Ray-enabled DVDRW, 802.11g/n, Thunderbolt, (Windows 😎:cool:

Callmebobzilla
Level 7
Thanks for the heads up! Is the Nero software free? If not, how expensive is the software?

No but you can try the Nero 12 software for 15 days http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/

I am sure there are freeware options as well?
ASUS G75VX-DH72-CA 17.3-inch Republic of Gamers Gaming Laptop (Full HD display, Intel i7-3630QM, 16G DDR3, Nvidia GTX670MX 3G, 500GB + 256G SSD, Blu-Ray-enabled DVDRW, 802.11g/n, Thunderbolt, (Windows 😎:cool: