Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by B0UJI View Post
    I've sent mine in for RMA. Will definitely report in here when I get it back. Planning on cross-firing though as I have an MSI 280X too now so will see if that causes any issues.

I received my 7970 Matrix back from my RMA. While the RMA process was smooth and received a new in box card. I was dishearted to see it also started artifacting in games as the card I sent in for replacement. Forty dollars later (20 for the advanced rma, 20 to ship the old card back). I've come terms with it, and turned memory clock down to 6200 @1.52v from the stock 6600 @ 1.6v which runs flawlessly. While Asus support and rma process was excellent, I regret purchasing this model of card.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array heichalot PC Specs
    heichalot PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme
    Processor5930k
    Memory (part number)HyperX DDR4 16Gb
    Graphics Card #1Asus Ares II - 789
    Graphics Card #2Asus Ares II - 789
    Graphics Card #3Asus Ares II - 179
    Graphics Card #4Asus Ares II - 179
    Sound CardBose Companion 5
    Monitor60LN54000
    Storage #1Black 240Gb SSD
    Storage #2Red 120Gb SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT x60
    CaseHafX
    Power SupplyAX1200
    Keyboard Vengeance K95
    Mouse G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    OS 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Lacan View Post
    I received my 7970 Matrix back from my RMA. While the RMA process was smooth and received a new in box card. I was dishearted to see it also started artifacting in games as the card I sent in for replacement. Forty dollars later (20 for the advanced rma, 20 to ship the old card back). I've come terms with it, and turned memory clock down to 6200 @1.52v from the stock 6600 @ 1.6v which runs flawlessly. While Asus support and rma process was excellent, I regret purchasing this model of card.
    given that RMA was smooth and that downclock,
    atleast now you can play games without any more problems.

unless you are a benchmarker, that -400 memory clock effect is not noticeable in games as well.

ofcourse I'm still mad at asus because of that, but for now, gotta wait for newer drivers
    Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
    Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
    -me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
    Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array B0UJI's Avatar

So I got mine back from RMA. After an initial black screen upon installing the drivers (in crossfire) I finally got it up. OH MY GOD. Performance is amazing.

But.. then it happened. So I got an APPCRASH error in Battlefield4. In hindsight... so what right? It happens in Battlefield... it just crashes. But my mind went "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...". Then I thought, oh there's that firmware update on the Asus support site for the Matrix I did when I first got it, and it helped keep things stable. Pulled the card out, put it in a different PC. Ran the firmware update. Pulled it out and back into my PC. Fired up Heaven Benchmark.... White square like artifacting straight away. Now a real ah ****. I tested last night and disabled crossfire so it only used the MSI 280x and no Artifacting. Flicked back on crossfire, artifacting there after a pass or two.

Tonight i'll try pull the Matrix out and put it in that second PC and run Heaven and if it shows there I can nail it down to that Firmware update I think. If so... errr I think it's an RMA again.... i don't believe you can undo it. *facepalms*. Does anyone know if you can ask that if it's to be replaced, you get it replaced with a standard DCU2? Are they any more stable? The extra speed is insignificant to me now as it's crossfired (and as the second card so the extra power won't be used anyway)

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array twisted1's Avatar

A DCU2 doesn't mean a worse OC card by default. I have two matrix cards and one DCU2 Top, and the top card is on par with my matrix cards when it comes to OC. That is when I run them all on water, with the stock cooler max OC was 1260Mhz for the top, on water i hit 1340Mhz pretty easy.

heichalot PC Specs
    Processor5930k
    Monitor60LN54000
    Storage #2Red 120Gb SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT x60
    CaseHafX
    Power SupplyAX1200
    Keyboard Vengeance K95
    Mouse G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    OS 8.1 Pro 64-bit

So I got mine back from RMA. After an initial black screen upon installing the drivers (in crossfire) I finally got it up. OH MY GOD. Performance is amazing.

But.. then it happened. So I got an APPCRASH error in Battlefield4. In hindsight... so what right? It happens in Battlefield... it just crashes. But my mind went "oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...". Then I thought, oh there's that firmware update on the Asus support site for the Matrix I did when I first got it, and it helped keep things stable. Pulled the card out, put it in a different PC. Ran the firmware update. Pulled it out and back into my PC. Fired up Heaven Benchmark.... White square like artifacting straight away. Now a real ah ****. I tested last night and disabled crossfire so it only used the MSI 280x and no Artifacting. Flicked back on crossfire, artifacting there after a pass or two.

Tonight i'll try pull the Matrix out and put it in that second PC and run Heaven and if it shows there I can nail it down to that Firmware update I think. If so... errr I think it's an RMA again.... i don't believe you can undo it. *facepalms*. Does anyone know if you can ask that if it's to be replaced, you get it replaced with a standard DCU2? Are they any more stable? The extra speed is insignificant to me now as it's crossfired (and as the second card so the extra power won't be used anyway)
    just wondering, did you run BF4 earlier on default clock ? I mean, if you overclocked it, how far did you go?

anyway, BF4 is well known for crashes

-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
    Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

No overclock at all, both cards at stock. Yeah was silly. Hit another roadbump, went to re-enable crossfire and each time the screen goes black and there's a flashing cursor in the top left and I have to hard-reset. Windows boots and crossfire is still disabled, go to re-enable it and same thing. Anyone seen this?

*Also I have the 280x as primary and the Matrix7970 as secondary. I just saw googling a few references to "you must have the 7970 as primary". Anyone had this experience of know if that's true?
    Last edited by B0UJI; 12-19-2013 at 12:57 AM.

heichalot PC Specs
    Processor5930k
    Monitor60LN54000
    Storage #2Red 120Gb SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT x60
    CaseHafX
    Power SupplyAX1200
    Keyboard Vengeance K95
    Mouse G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    OS 8.1 Pro 64-bit

*Also I have the 280x as primary and the Matrix7970 as secondary. I just saw googling a few references to "you must have the 7970 as primary". Anyone had this experience of know if that's true?
    well actually it doesn't matter which one for the primary,
    I'd say matrix plat for primary, because it has slightly higher clock value compared to 280x, but in crossfire, both cards will be (or have to) "adjusted" to match the "lower" score of those two anyway.

I haven't tried any R9 series yet,
    but as far as I know, 280x has these values: core 1070 & memory 1600
    where 7970 mat plat has: core 1100 & memory 1650

which means, if you want to crossfire, you have to downclock your 7970 so its value matches the 280x's.
    usually, crossfire system automatically does that, but doing this manually doesn't hurt either.

Hit another roadbump, went to re-enable crossfire and each time the screen goes black and there's a flashing cursor in the top left and I have to hard-reset. Windows boots and crossfire is still disabled, go to re-enable it and same thing. Anyone seen this?
    I dont think this problem is caused by the clock tho,
    stabilizing clock is only to prevent artifacts, but what you experience is probably more into hardware faulty.
    you tried to reinstall driver yet ? using driver fusion and maybe try 13.12 final driver (haven't try 13.12 yet, still using 13.9).
    Last edited by heichalot; 12-19-2013 at 08:00 AM.

-me

Yeah will try the latest WHQL tonight. And maybe swap the cards over, hey I've seen it said once no harm in trying it!

heichalot PC Specs
    Processor5930k
    Monitor60LN54000
    Storage #2Red 120Gb SSD
    CPU CoolerNZXT x60
    CaseHafX
    Power SupplyAX1200
    Keyboard Vengeance K95
    Mouse G500
    Headset Sennheiser HD600
    OS 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Yeah will try the latest WHQL tonight. And maybe swap the cards over, hey I've seen it said once no harm in trying it!
    yes, but I hope that with proper driver install, your 7970 is working again.
    and feel free to switch slot for those cards

-me

Quote Originally Posted by heichalot View Post
    yes, but I hope that with proper driver install, your 7970 is working again.
    and feel free to switch slot for those cards
    It was hopeful but no unfortunately. Cleaned out drivers with AMD's uninstaller and installed the latest one. With only the Matrix 7970 in I got massive texture colouring corruption almost straight away. Testing it in another PC tonight and if the same I'll send it back again! Definitely will ask for a different model, the Matrix is just too high clocked I think.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast