New ROGer Array

4 PIN RGB header to Add. Header?

Hey everyone I just have a quick question. I’m building a new pc using the ASUS Crosshair hero vi board, and I over looked the fact that it doesn’t have a add. Header so I cant control the RGB lighting of my case fans hooked up to my thermaltake fan hub. So my question is do they make an adapter cable that conects to an RGB header so I can add a add. Headder or anything like that?*

Thanks,
    Jeff*

ROG Member Array DeadlyMercury PC Specs
    DeadlyMercury PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Zenbook U310UF / MacBook Pro 13" 2017
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme
    ProcessorIntel i9-9900KS @5.3/5.1 GHz
    Memory (part number)64gb G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4000MHz 19-19-19-39 @3800MHz 18-18-18-38
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA @2145/8000 MHz
    MonitorASUS ROG Swift PG349Q
    Storage #11TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2
    Storage #22x 2TB Samsung 860 QVO RAID0 + 2x 4TB Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 RAID0
    CPU CoolerEK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
    CaseASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601
    Power SupplyASUS ROG Thor 1200w Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G513
    Mouse Logitech G503
    Headset Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO / Bose QC 35 II
    Mouse Pad Logitech G840
    Headset/Speakers Audio Pro Addon T14
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Accessory #1 Logitech G940
    Accessory #2 TrackIr 5 Pro
    Accessory #3 HMD Samsung Odyssey+

No, they don't and that is imposible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lMKd4fk.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	591.9 KB 
ID:	85248

On RGB header you have 12V power and G/R/B, that is actually ground for green/red/blue diods. So you have analog signal that is actually your ground resistance on each color, so it just change LED brightness from off to full 12v.

On D-RGB header you have 5V power plus data (digital signal) plus ground (same ground as on G/R/B, but not controlled by motherboard). So your led strip has its own RGB-controller, that powered up by that 5v power source, recieves digital signal, decodes it and lights up different diods, and instead of turning off every red diods in strip - it can turn off every single of its separately. (Or if you want dive into details - every led has a controller, that has his own address and thats why this leds called addresable; that controller recieves commands for its address from motherboard and controls led color as it was told)
    Thats why RGB header can't do this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alphacool_Aurora_Rigid_Digital_RGB_LED_Strip_2_5mm_Width_2pcs_-_40cm_1017334_03.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	85249

If you get some sort of cable (like you can use d-rgb splitter that don't have that blocked/missed pin, which prevents incorrect connection to 12v header) - you will burn your led strip because it needs 5v instead of 12v.
    Even if somehow you get that 12v down to 5v (like adding resistor) - there is no way to transform 3 analog RGB signals to a single digital addressable with just a cable. And yep, you also don't have regular ground on 12v header, that is also a problem, but a tiny one in terms of getting digital signal from 3 different analog sources including fact that these sources are not doing same job as digital one.
    Last edited by DeadlyMercury; 06-13-2020 at 12:18 AM.