New ROGer Array

Fixing an asus g73jh

My asus g73jh has been having some problems recently. When i try to start it up, i get a blue screen, and i am unable to get to my desktop. The problem is that i no longer have my asus recovery disk. However I do have hard copy of windows 7.

Is there a way to do a wipe of my laptop and re-install windows 7? It would be nice to get a real asus g73 recovery cd, but i figured this would be the next best thing. Can someone help me with the installation process? i went into the bios and set for the cd/dvd drive to boot before any other drive, but i doesnt seem to be working (still getting blue screen)

any help would be great

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

You can get copies of the restore media from the Asus estore if you like.

http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?..._detail&p=2403 (regular)
    http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?..._detail&p=2404 (best buy model)

Otherwise, if you've got a generic Win 7 DVD, and don't mind installing drivers yourself, you should be able to use the product key on the unit to install Windows. I've never personally tried it, but multiple people have said it works, and what exactly do you have to lose by trying? Along the way you should be able to partition and/or format the drive.

New ROGer Array

yep, you can take win7 CD to install and download drivers & utilities & BIOS from support, also you can borrow from someone who bought G73Jh, you can buy from asus estore, also you can upgrade to win 8.

ROG Member Array

I had a similar issue with my G73JH -
    Do you notice any weird sounds from your Hard Drivers? Or have you noticed the hard drive is not in the boot options? If so It may be like my issue.

When my BSOD occurred I noticed weird sounds from the HDD - It appeared as if my HDD was failing. I went through 3 brand new drives, and 3 subsequent rebuilds of my G73 with the problem returning right away. The issue was the cable that connects the HDD ports to the main board. It is folded and it would appear, eventually the ribbon cable degrades enough and shorts out. Thus causing the computer to fail due to HDD communications.

I tore my G773 down and cushioned the fold in the cable with some tape. The hope is that the short is very small and relieving the pressure on the "fold" of the cable so it wasn't creased.

This solved my issues..

Best Regards,
    Trav...
    Peace and Agape In All Things -
    Christ -
    G73JH 1TB HD Space + 8GB RAM
    Zune HD

New ROGer Array

Same

Hey. I have the same problem as Travelor!. I Hear the strange sound comming from HDD like scratching and then it goes to BSOD. It appears like 5 times per day or more. So whats the best way to repair it ? Where can i find this cable which connects hdd to bomainboard?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array billyray520 PC Specs
    billyray520 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G73JH-A1, G73Sw
    MotherboardMaximus V Extreme, H97M-Plus
    ProcessorIntel Core I7 3770K, Core I5 4690s
    Memory (part number)32 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 (MVE)
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire HD 7970 Dual X OC (MVE)
    Graphics Card #2Intel HD Graphics 4600
    MonitorAsus ProArt PA248 (MVE)
    Storage #1OCZ Vertex 4 2.5" 256 GB SSD (MVE)
    Storage #2Seagate 1 TB 7200 SATA III 6.0 GB/s (MVE)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i Liquid Cooler (MVE)
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X tower on wheels (MVE)
    Power SupplyThermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200W (MVE)
    Keyboard Logitech G110 Black LED (MVE)
    Mouse Asus ROG MOBKUL Gaming (MVE)
    OS Windows 7 Professional / Ubuntu 12.04 (MVE)
    Network RouterMotorola Surfboard SBG6580

I'm always amazed that in this day of free system image and backup software, that people still do not backup their systems!

Anyhoo, if you have the Windows 7 disk AND IT IS THE SAME VERSION THAT YOUR NOTEBOOK CAME WITH, home premium, professional, ultra etc, then you can re-install windows.

However because it is a system that originally had the Asus restore partition, it will be necessary to first delete all of the current partitions so the system drive is completely unused. Windows 7 will partition the disk itself, making a 200MB system restore partition and the main system partition.

You must also remove any other hdd's if they are present before installing Windows 7.

Then you can use the key on the bottom of the notebook to authenticate your windows. I did this on a G73Sw. But because I changed the key that was currently installed (refurb notebook key) I had to call the Windows Robot.

Post your progress!
    Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
    (both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
    Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7