Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Direction to choose or go with? Almost to the finish line with the Build:

neopill
Level 7
Case: Lian-Li PC-V354 (black) (bought)

Mobo: Asus Maximus Gene V (bought)

CPU: i7 3775K (will buy)

CPU cooler: Thinking H80 Antec or Air Cooled such as Thermaltake high rise with two 120 Red LED fans on it. (will buy)

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB sticks) 1600 model with fan cooler (do not know if will use due to space) (bought)

Video card: Which ones? Crossfire or SLI? (will buy)

DVD drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner and Writer (bought)

HDD Drive 1: SSD 254 Samsung (bought)

HDD Drive 2: 600GB Raptor (bought/have)

HDD Drive 3: 600GB Raptor (bought/have)

MSata: MSDD 250GB Corsair (will buy)

M-wifi: (not sure yet still researching) (will buy)

Power Supply: Antec 1200 Overclock type. (Will mod to remove some wires so it's not all there being unused- will need to research more on this one) (bought)

LCD: Either Samsung SyncMaster 2343 (native 2048 x1152) x 3 or another brand (undecided at this point) (will buy)

Games: Crysis (all 1, 1/2, 2, and 3. Call of Duty (MW 1-3), All Steam games (driving/ racing cars + Fortress types plus Origin Games as well.

Now I have listed all my specs here.. Some have been bought already and some have not but will be bought next month.. The next month I am buying the CPU and Cooler.. I may be able to get LCD as well! (wait and see)..

As I stated this is a month to month based budget. 🙂 Anyways.. I have a question regarding to few things.. One is Video card selections which I will go with first.. Which should I get Cross fire AMD cards or should I go with SLI? I have been reading and found that AMD or Crossfire have the tendency to have driver problems. I was looking into the high end but not so high priced. Radeon 7850 or 7870 series v.s. 670Ti series? Or is there a card out that that works wonders and is priced at the sweet spot. (I'm also picky about the looks of it too. So no gimmick or cheapo looks..

Secondly- Anyone knows where I can find a diagram of the Antex 1200 that I could unsolder off the wires that I do not need cuz I don't want it looking crowded inside my case. It will have a see through plexiglass showing off the RED Led.. I know it maybe overated having RED Led but I like Red colors.

Looking forward to your answers and tech tips.. As for my knowledge. I am a Novice-Pro dependings on what with modding hardware such as case. But for electricity stuffs: I"m a noob but would love to learn.

Thanks,
::neo::
13 REPLIES 13

KPRage
Level 10
neopill wrote:
Case: Lian-Li PC-V354 (black)
Nice case!

Mobo: Asus Maximus Gene V
Awesome mobo!

CPU: i7 3775K (will buy)
Cool.. Njoy the performance! 🙂

CPU cooler: Thinking H80 Antec or Air Cooled such as Thermaltake high rise with two 120 Red LED fans on it.
I would suggest Corsair H80i. Check this link out for more details: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6530/closing-the-loop-contained-liquidcoolers-from-corsair-and-nzxt-co...

Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB sticks) 1600 model with fan cooler (do not know if will use due to space)
With H80i, you should be able to get the space!

Video card: Which ones? Crossfire or SLI?
If you have the money for it, buy NVidia. Else, AMD is pretty close too! You can use this link : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2 to choose the best amongst them!

DVD drive: LG Blu-Ray Burner and Writer

HDD Drive 1: SSD 254 Samsung

HDD Drive 2: 600GB Raptor

HDD Drive 3: 600GB Raptor

MSata: MSDD 250GB Corsair
Nice!

M-wifi: (not sure yet still researching)
Can't help much here!

Power Supply: Antec 1200 Overclock type. (Will mod to remove some wires so it's not all there being unused- will need to research more on this one)
Details given below.

LCD: Either Samsung SyncMaster 2343 (native 2048 x1152) x 3 or another brand (undecided at this point)
Check out ASUS monitors too! They are one of the best you will find out there!

Games: Crysis (all 1, 1/2, 2, and 3. Call of Duty (MW 1-3), All Steam games (driving/ racing cars + Fortress types plus Origin Games as well.
Awesome games buddy. Have fun!!:cool:

Now I have listed all my specs here.. Some have been bought already and some have not but will be bought next month.. The next month I am buying the CPU and Cooler.. I may be able to get LCD as well! (wait and see)..

As I stated this is a month to month based budget. 🙂 Anyways.. I have a question regarding to few things.. One is Video card selections which I will go with first.. Which should I get Cross fire AMD cards or should I go with SLI?

I have been reading and found that AMD or Crossfire have the tendency to have driver problems.

Both SLI and, Crossfire have issues in terms of performance (in the sense, the FPS does not double exactly!). In terms of driver issues, each AMD driver updates seem to be doing a good job in handling these issues. I updated the drivers and, it increased my GPU performance by 10% and, above in most of the games! However, I am not sure about the latest drivers with crossfire.

I was looking into the high end but not so high priced. Radeon 7850 or 7870 (7870 is a bit better than 7850) series v.s. 670Ti series? Or is there a card out that that works wonders and is priced at the sweet spot. (I'm also picky about the looks of it too. So no gimmick or cheapo looks..

Please go through the link I have mentioned above.

Secondly- Anyone knows where I can find a diagram of the Antex 1200 that I could unsolder off the wires that I do not need cuz I don't want it looking crowded inside my case. It will have a see through plexiglass showing off the RED Led.. I know it maybe overated having RED Led but I like Red colors.

This http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=198 should help you

Looking forward to your answers and tech tips.. As for my knowledge. I am a Novice-Pro dependings on what with modding hardware such as case. But for electricity stuffs: I"m a noob but would love to learn.
I think most of it has been covered. Njoy! 🙂
Thanks,
::neo::

Find the details in-line. Hope this clarifies your doubts and, helps you have an awesome gaming experience! Have fun gaming.. 🙂

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

Silver_Wolf
Level 10
Firstly nice build, secondly though you may have a problem,

Now perhaps I am reading this wrong but are you planning to go with a dual Graphics card setup? If so you will likely run into problems of space, I could be wrong but unless you get a low profile graphics card you will be hard pressed to fit two of them on that board if its even possible.

Also the HDDs you have listed as Raptors is that the WD Vilociraptors? If so you will be better off with the WD Blacks they are a tiny bit slower but you can get double the storage for the same price.

And finally if you are still looking at Monitors as mentioned above Asus make great monitors but BenQ should also be considered as they make some very nice monitors.

Silver Wolf wrote:
Firstly nice build, secondly though you may have a problem,

Now perhaps I am reading this wrong but are you planning to go with a dual Graphics card setup? If so you will likely run into problems of space, I could be wrong but unless you get a low profile graphics card you will be hard pressed to fit two of them on that board if its even possible.

Also the HDDs you have listed as Raptors is that the WD Vilociraptors? If so you will be better off with the WD Blacks they are a tiny bit slower but you can get double the storage for the same price.

And finally if you are still looking at Monitors as mentioned above Asus make great monitors but BenQ should also be considered as they make some very nice monitors.

AS for the video cards.. It will fit even though it will be very tight. I'm not looking into massive cards like ASUS or MSI where there's two huge fans on top that would cause interference with other video cards. Like having crossfire or SLI inside one video card.

As for WD Velociraptors 600GB. I already owned these two and dont' wanna fork up more for the HDD.. Maybe later down the road when money permits me to add more HDD then I'll look into that. Even so That or there is another project which I want to create a Media Server Project out of mac classic SE case with touch screen.. (It's a long waited project until I get this one finished.) I am in longing for gaming man...

KPRage
Level 10
Silver wolf, Nice point there. neopill, space might be an issue with SLI/crossfire. Though you may be able to fit in two Graphic cards (make sure they are two grils max!), the space between them might be very very tight. Also, BenQ, Dell, Samsung and, Asus monitors all, top the list. You can check out overclock.net, anandtech, this and, other forums for more details on the monitor part.
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂

KPRage wrote:
Silver wolf, Nice point there. neopill, space might be an issue with SLI/crossfire. Though you may be able to fit in two Graphic cards (make sure they are two grils max!), the space between them might be very very tight. Also, BenQ, Dell, Samsung and, Asus monitors all, top the list. You can check out overclock.net, anandtech, this and, other forums for more details on the monitor part.

Thanks KPRage- Also not to forget to mention to Silverwolf. Thanks for the comment..

Will look into the LCD at those sites...

Thanks guys for all the comments... will keep yall posted when I"m finished and maybe add some pictures...

TenBlade
Level 11
mSATA runs on a pcie lane, so that´s slower than regular SATA. Any particular reason for selecting a big mSATA drive? Or did you run out of Intel controlled SATA ports? I didn´t count...

Ten Blade- This is only for back up or I could use this to trouble shoot any of my other hardware if I run into problems.. Or I could use Linux to toy with for fun...

TenBlade wrote:
mSATA runs on a pcie lane, so that´s slower than regular SATA. Any particular reason for selecting a big mSATA drive? Or did you run out of Intel controlled SATA ports? I didn´t count...
I am only filling this slot up because I was given that option. I'd like to see what it does. Plus maybe use for back up or use to run Linux. 🙂