cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum V Formula - Bios update and warranty

cicero8
Level 7
Hi everyone, sorry if this has been asked before as i am new to the forums (and computer building in general) and have just purchased my first ever mobo the maximus v formula. I have been reading and been told that if you update the BIOS it voids your warranty.

I am just wondering if this is true as i plan to put together my first computer later this week with the help of a friend. I am just really worried about voiding the warranty and the bios update. Any info or link would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

ps: sorry for the spelling mistakes as i am french.
12 REPLIES 12

feniks
Level 11
who told you that lie?
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Chino
Level 15

SUKARA
Level 10
If your system works fine,you don't need to upgrade the motherboard bios
But,if you add new hardware cause the system can't be run max performance or any unstable
You can be plan to upgrade the motherboard bios for test!
Then,bios upgrade and motherboard warranty is not related to the two things

cicero8
Level 7
so two things :
1. I was told that if i used a bios that's in beta or if i flashed my bios to a newer version and it bricked the warranty would be voided. so just to verify what i was told is NOT true?

2. my new build is

mobo: asus maximus v formula
GPU: asus gtx 690
CPU: i5 3570k
CPU cooling : NZXT HAVIK 140
PSU: corsair series HX1050 watt 80 plus silver certified
ram: corsair vengeance low profile 16gb (2x8gb)
intel 240gb ssd drive

Would you guys recommend i upgrade the bios for that? im just wondering since its my first time dealing with anything bios related (ive only bought prebuilt pc's in the past)

cicero8
Level 7
none im building it in a few days. Im waiting for the gtx 690 to come in. i just started reading the manual and it says to update the mobo to the lastest version before installing windows 8, im just worried about what happens if it bricks when i do that lol. Im not sure what version the bios is at since i havent even installed it yet lol!

Chino
Level 15
Well, when you finally get your build up, check which BIOS version you're using. Since you'll be using W8 then you would need to do a BIOS update for some of those W8 functions to work correctly. If you do it correctly, you won't brick anything.

feniks
Level 11
BIOS 1604 runs pretty decent here on M V Extreme with UEFI boot to Windows 8 x64, actually it runs better than I expected, amazingly some of nvidia driver issues disappeared in UEFI boot mode...

whoever told you that updating/flashing motherboard BIOS voids warranty fed you with the biggest lie I ever heard ... even Asus technical support may ask you to flash to this version or that in order to fix some problem, same goes for their beta BIOSes (some not even published yet).
.: R3C0NF1GUR3D :.
ASUS MVE :: 3770K bench @ 5.2GHz (delidded) :: 2x4GB Mushkin 996990 @ 2400MHz CL10 @ 1.7V :: evga 670 2GB SLI @ 1280/7108 :: Mushkin Chronos 240GB SSD RAID0 (OS) :: WD RE4 2TB (storage) 2TB :: Hitachi Deskstar 5K300 2TB (backup USB3.0) :: ASUS VG248QE 24'' 144Hz monitor

My rig with pictures
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

cicero8
Level 7
Thank you for the help guys! I will look up and see what my BIOS is when i install the M V Formula and update to a 1604 version for the m v formula. Im also really glad that the flash bios voiding the warranty was completely false.

On a side note what is uefi boot mode? (il google it lol). im learning so much XD

thank you for the help! will post with updates in a few days!