cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75VX - no optical output on spdif connector - windows 8 pro

ssba2k1
Level 7
Hi guys,

I've been researching this issue for the past couple of days (since I bought the laptop in fact), but I'm now at a loss on what could be the issue.

I was trying to connect a headset which has a s/pdif connector (optical) when I realized that the port of notebook (G75VX) is not lighting up. I tried to find some info on the issue, but all that I came across seems to be outdated.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro, clean install. I installed the latest drivers on the ASUS support page of the G75VX, and from what I can see, everything is running fine, except for the port. I am at a loss as to how to enable it for output. Windows reports it as working (Realtek Digital Output), but the light never comes on.

Any ideas on what I am missing or what could I try to make it work?
4 REPLIES 4

WontonNoodle
Level 8
What do you mean? Nothing is supposed to light up. Go to windows audio and check SPDIF as default

ssba2k1
Level 7
Even if it is set as default or not, and when testing, although Windows shows that it outputs to it, nothing is heard.

Unless I am mistaken, the port should have a red light (it is optical, so how would it function if it doesn't light up?).

On a G74SX, as is the case with the G75VX, the headphone jack doubles as the spdif output, with optical connection. On the G74SX, it is always lit red.

cl-scott
Level 12
There should indeed always be a red light emanating from that port when the unit is on. So if there's not, then I forget if there's an option to disable it in the BIOS/UEFI, but that would be one thing to check. Other than that, the only possibilities coming to mind at the moment involve needing an RMA. Maybe someone else will think of something I didn't.

ssba2k1
Level 7
I am just hoping that I missed out on something. Returning it due to manufacture defect seems like a pity, considering it is only 4 days old.

LE: An idea struck me and just uninstalled the Realtek driver, and restarted. Now it works. I am guessing there is probably some incompatibility between the OS and the latest version of the driver that is on the ASUS G75VX support page. Either that, or I was just plain unlucky. I hate it when software/hardware doesn't work for no apparent reason.

So if anyone else has this problem with the Realtek driver and software utility installed, just try and use the default driver that windows provides. It is interesting to note a few things:

a) WontonNoodle was also correct, as without the toslink jack inserted, the unit DOES NOT activate the spdif red led for transmission. It seems to have a contact based sensor. So nothing connected, no light.

b) Driver was actually controlling the output. It is not always on, as on the previous G74 model.

Thanks to both WontonNoodle and cl-scott for their input.

Thread can marked as SOLVED. If I can do it, someone point me in the right direction 😄