cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable CPU cooler for Maximus V Gene in smaller case

LaRocK
Level 7
Hi All

Looking for some advice on the best cpu cooler to fit to a V Gene that will allow overclocking. It's a small case and the maximum height for the cpu cooler is 125mm. CPU is i7-3770k, Ram: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8), GFX - EVGA GTX 680 SC and PSU - Corsair AX 850.
Have been looking at the Noctua NH-U9B but dislike the fan colours (will go with it though if it's the optimum for cooling in the size range I need) so any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, LaRock.

What case are you using?

It's a Fractal Design Node 605 http://fractal-design.com/?view=product∏=95

I know it's small and air flow will be crucial but I will have all the extra 120mm and 80mm fan slots with fans fitted to pull the air out

Chino
Level 15

Yes have bought the parts
I'd rather avoid it if possible. I had bought a corsair h80i for the build which I was planning to put in one of the 120mm side fan slots on the motherboard side. Unfortunately I realised once it arrived that if I fitted it to the front fan slot it would clash with the ram on the motherboard and the back of the io panel on the front of the case and the back one it clashes with the heat spreaders on the motherboard.

Thanks for your help Chino, much appreciated, will have a look at that one

DAS-haMMer
Level 7
Note that you need some clearance for the fan intake.

There are sideway coolers for SFF ( small form factor) cases .

* am using watercooling myself. LA rocks
MVG 1408, 3570K, 2x4 TridentX 2400, Intel SSD 520 120Gb, Zotac GTX 660 Ti AMP! . Hitachi 7k3000 2Tb. Roccat Kone [+] , Roccat SOTA , Roccat Kave . Samsung T220P. Modded Antec Sonata 1 (in works) \m/