cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G72gx 2 FPS in Starcraft 2

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all. Any help here would be appreciated. I don't know a lot about computers but it seems to be that several people are having the same problem as me with Starcraft II.

I'll suddenly have a problem with SC2 where the game drops the FPS to a single digit and tell me that I need to lower my graphics settings - BUT - I alt+tabbed out of the game and ctrl+alt+delete to open up the Task Manager to check the Memory of StarCraft II - good enough it revealed a whopping 1,247,172k worth of memory!

After closing down the program and re-opening it and going straight to the battle.net menu - the FPS is still a single digit and the game is really stuttering badly and the memory consumption on the Task Manager menu says 645,140k. This is not normal - I do not have any issues with ANY other games so I am assuming that StarCraft II is the root of the problem, instead of it being a faulty hardware or program on my laptop.

Is there a way to prevent StarCraft II from randomly increasing the memory consumption of my laptop otherwise the FPS drops to a single digit and the stuttering/lagging makes playing extremely intolerable. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

I'm not sure how to generate an error report so if you need to see that to fix the issue could you guide me through it?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
If SC2 really does have a memory problem then either it will have to be fixed with a patch or something has become corrupted. I had a similar problem with an application at work a few weeks ago and we finally had to completely remove it and reinstall it. Works normally now but we still don't know what caused the original problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
have you tried lowering your graphic settings and seeing if anything gets fixed?

Retired
Not applicable
Brian@ASUS wrote:
have you tried lowering your graphic settings and seeing if anything gets fixed?

Yes, it works on the lowest settings possible but I mean... this is a new Republic of Gamers Laptop... According to systemrequirementslabs.com I should have no trouble on Ultra settings. I didn't pay $1000 to play a game on the lowest settings, you know? I have a much older Gateway that plays it on Medium.

I'm really torn between whether it's the computer or Starcraft. I'm going to insert the images I took from systemrequirementslabs.com.

Idk if these help but I hope so. Thanks for responding guys. Also, Asus Live Update doesn't update the BIOS like it's supposed to so I just uninstalled it. I'm not sure if that could have anything to do with it but went ahead and downloaded the newest BIOS update from the website. Unfortunately the ASUS support page for this laptop doesn't have the BIOS update utility so I'm not sure how to do it. I've never updated it before.

Thanks again guys.

Chastity
Level 10
It can also be that the graphic driver had reset, and the clocks of the GPU dropped to idle speeds, and stayed there.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
After a few days of research I finally figured out how to update the BIOS manually. I did it and went on to play an entire game of Starcraft II on ultra. Disappointed in ASUS but happy the problem is solved.

Retired
Not applicable
Problem is back. BIOS is updated. All the drivers are updated. DirectX is updated. Even on low settings I can't play a full game of SCII without serious laggage. SCII has been re-installed a few times and I still have the same problem. Please help!