Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array InnervateD's Avatar

The Phoebus sounded like the king gaming sound card when it was announced, but ever since it's release, it hasn't looked anywhere near it.
    Some got it working with little or no issues. Some have it working but with some issues or are willing to put up with whatever bugs they incure and have ways to work around it.

I gave it 8 months, now it's about 9 months since it's release, and it hasn't gotten any better in terms of fixing and releasing a proper driver to fix all the issues that this card seems to have. It's been 2 beta drivers since it's release in April/May.

For an ASUS ROG product this certainly to me hasn't lived up to the ROG name which is very disappointing. It seems like ASUS maybe at CMedia's mercy interms of driver support and fixes, but again for a premium priced sound card I'd expect better driver support and to be honest just a better means of compatibility and testing before the card's released. Maybe that's why the ROG RAIDR SSD PCI-E card is taking it's sweet time being released so it doesn't fall in footsteps of the Phoebus.

What I don't get is why? The Xonar cards had such good reviews before with the ST/STX, DG, DGX, etc... all their sound cards we're great. They announce the first ROG Xonar sound card which made really great hype and interest and when the card is released, it has all sorts of issues in terms of drivers and driver support. What got me was, I was willing to drop the money on the card as soon as I saw one at my local shop, but I didn't pull the trigger as I had some unexpected expenses come up which seemed to have been a blessing in disguise as it delayed me enough to read all the driver issues it had with BF3/Punkbuster and other issues people we're having. I almost wished they had just re-released the D2X card with a headphone amp with the break out unit, and I would have had my perfect sound card.

If you're NOT willing to put up with the potential issues that of people are experiencing I would look at other sound cards or wait a little longer when they fix their drivers.

I gave up on the Phoebus, mainly because I recently found out that it doesn't support DTS which is something I need on a sound card as I do watch quite a lot of blu-ray movies on my computer. I would have gone with the STX but it has no 5.1 support on the STX. One solution would have been to get a STX, and the HDAV1.3 with a H6 but I don't have that many PCI-E slots open with 2x GTX Matrix 580s.

It only seems like there's one card that fits almost all my needs and it's not an ASUS solution which is sorta sad for me, since I love ASUS products and they've always come out with a great all in one solution or something so epic that full fills all the needs of a lot of enthusiasts.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

I feel the same way. Asus really dropped the ball on this sound card. And the "ROG" tag should be removed from it. It just isn't worth the name tag that others expect a "ROG" product to be. Then add the price on top of it and lack of drivers and buggy software. You now have a almost useless creative lab sound card. Remember the days of the old creative labs drivers, etc.

What asus should do at this point is refund everyone that bought one and do a public apology on this mess of a sound card now. Expensive, lack of support and was just hyped up marketing. It is about the same as their $50 DGX, DSX sound cards. And the performance is about the same too.,

I see someone else is posting the [H] link that I always post in here. But I'm not getting into that discussion. If it was me and my money I would simply pass on this sound card. Either buy a Asus Xonar Essence STX or wait on the new creative labs sound cards.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Asus doesn't have drivers that are Win 8 64 compatible. So things like XBOX Live music app that is the default media player on my system don't work. Says it needs a codec to play mp3 or videos that play fine in Windows Media Player. The firmware is stuck at 1014 and won't flash. The card plays music fine until I unplug my headphones out of the break out box and back into again. Then it's random static until I restart my PC. Well it sounds exactly like the On / Off transition click that the card does except it does it every time I unplug my headphones and won't stop.

I got the card from Amazon and I'm going to give it until the 31st for Asus to come up with a solution. Then I'll just send it back if no resolution is provided. Now I'm just using my card with headphones so I don't know how it works with speakers. InnervateD I believe the card had DTS added in the last patch, but I can't tell you if it works as I can't flash the darn firmware to test it out. I tried every slot in my Asus Sabertooth 990FX and it scoffed at every attempt to get it to work.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array skywalker311's Avatar

Thanks guy for let me know how you feel about the Phoebus . The vibe that I was getting is that either they work for you are they don't. InnervateD and KILLER_K have made great point. When I think about ROG I think of kickass products that going to be worth me spending a little extra and getting a great product. I know what I'm going with now and as much as I would love to have the Phoebus . I'm going with ASUS Xonar Essence STX. There are alot of good reviews on this this sound card. I'm still going to wait for a month before I order my sound card so I might still change my mind. The drivers for what I'm hearing is the problem. If they would just fix thoes drivers. If I was ASUS I would get on who ever ass they need to to get fix. If ASUS cant they need to send people a refund like KILLER_K was stating above. Do what right. It might cost you but you make up for in the long run. Word of mounth spreads fast. Back to my build. I'm having to order my parts one or two pieces at a time. I going with a complete water cooling setup this time. This is going to be my first water cooling computer and If I can ask any of you a question are two that would be great. Just PM me and I'll get back with you. Thanks for the post.
    Last edited by skywalker311; 01-22-2013 at 01:35 AM.
    Phanteks enthoo primo, i7-4770k, ASUS MVIF, 16GB G.Skill Trident X Ram, ASUS 780 Ti DC2O, Samsung 120GB and crucial M500 480gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, NZXT 850W power supply
    EK Supremacy, EK ASUS MVIF Water Block, EK Monarch Series X4 Ram, EK ASUS 780 Ti DCII, EK 420 Cool Stream Rad, XPSC 240mm RAD,Monsoon Series Two Dual Bay Reservoir, Swiftech MCP655-PWM-Water Pump, Monsoon Compression Fittings & Tubbing, Mayhems Pastel Red with Mayhems ultra pure h20.

Skywalker311:
    I would look into the Creative Z series soundcards.
    I know a lot of people like to bash Creative for their poor driver support in the past on their Xi-Fi cards, but I think Creative really did a great job with their Z series sound cards. There's a lot of good reviews on their new Z series cards and this is probably what you want to look at over the Phoebus unless you still want to stick with an ASUS solution.

If you want something close to the Pheobus you'll want to look at the Creative ZX which covers everything the Phoebus has.

The regular Z card is the same sound card as the ZX but without the break out unit.

The ZxR from Creative is Creative's top end sound card that rivals the Essence STX. The ZxR is the one I'm waiting for, as I have an order at my local shop for one. The ZxR is the real soundcard that I've been waiting for, and I can't wait when my store has it. The ZxR has everything the STX has to offer but gives the 5.1 and DTS that I want from a soundcard to watch my movies on my 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS speakers, and still be able to give me high fidelity sound quality for my studio grade headphones.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I don't use DTS but I have seen it in my (Phoebus) sound control panels. Is this what you're referring to?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	16207

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	16209

Quote Originally Posted by cx-ray View Post
    I don't use DTS but I have seen it in my (Phoebus) sound control panels. Is this what you're referring to?

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	16207

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	295.7 KB 
ID:	16209
    Hmm Funny..
    ON this link:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...hlight=phoebus

ASUS rep MarshallR@ASUS Wrote:
    Originally Posted by umurBEY
    Do not have DTS Connect or DDlive? DTS Neo, Dolby Prologic etc. Do you have properties. Or it would be pity.

No, only Dolby Home Theatre v4
    http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio...ebus/#overview

These others are available on our normal Xonar range. The Phoebus is specifically tailored to gaming.
    The Box on the Phoebus shows no support for DTS as it's not officially supported. Usually the DTS logo has to be on the box or at least under the product listing for support to be official. Either way Phoebus isn't for me. If they added the DTS functionality recently then awesome, but the card still remains a disappointment to me, and having done my research I've already settled on a card that I'm happy with.

New ROGer Array

I just got my Phoebus last week. Paired with AKG K240 STUDIO for headset and a SONY (don't remember the model, at office atm) wired by Spdif .

I have to say that i was terribly scared, reading the tons of problem guys here are having with this SD, and while i was waiting the delivery of the package, i started to panik (just a little bit eheh).

After a painless installation fo actual drivers (not the beta one) on my system, Win8 64B, i tested a lot of games (35 installed by Steam) and the only one that i had some problems, seems to be (and too sadly it's my fav game ) Skyrim.

As i ride my horse i can hear the cloppity-cloppity thingie for 2/3 seconds than seems i just ride on a soft cotton rug, all enviromental sounds (nature, wild animals, waterfalls and music) are clear and VERY crisp, with a beautiful sorround as i turn my head around.
    Or as i shot arrow, some of them has horrible lag and hit target after 2 / 3 seconds...but maybe it's not due to Phoebus..really dont know.

Before the Phoebus i had an integrated SC and never had any issue....

Tested on movies (DVD and Blue Ray) and music (mp3 and original CD's) and i have to say the sound is rich and basses are deep and warm, equalization do it's dirty job

No hiss or whatever in Teamspeak3 while i play BF3, all sounds by the game are very immersive and Phoebus shot outside by its circuits very nice and clear explosions and gunshots..it's a pleasure for my ears ( not for my wife, if i don't wear headphones ehehe).

My actual satisfaction with this card it's a 8/10, only due to those problems in Skyrim.

Let's say that i am like 100% of brothers users here, waiting for Asus to release final and stable drivers (and hope soooon).

Ciao
    Last edited by Sakz; 01-30-2013 at 10:48 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

I agree the channel separation/imaging and sound detail is excellent in the Phoebus. I run W7-64bit. I don't know if the latest Beta will screw up your system. However, 3.08 has good improvements. The hadphone sound amp maintains its settings after reboots and shutdown. Also, 7.1 simulation through Xear Headphone works well for gaming. It maintains good dynamic range. In comparision CMSS-3D from Creative sounds very muddy (had Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS, X-Fi Titanium, X-Fi Titanium HD).

ROG Enthusiast Array

They sound great, but if you want to sue Ventrillo at same time as gaming. Forget it. Everything you hear in tyjhe game plays into Vent. making it impossible to put up with or use.
    AEC for some reason is installed on the realtek on-board sound for the Maximus formula, but not in a top of line card that costs nearly $300 ...
    If it worked with vent, I would say grab it, but if you use coms, forget it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast