cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onboard NIC not working

pauly94
Level 7
Hey,
I just built my new system with the rive. Problem is that the onboard nic doesn't seem to be working. When I plug in the cable there are no lights at all and In device manager the intel 82579v has a yellow triangle. Reinstalled w 8 3 times, tested several different Ethernet and chipset drivers and updated bios. I inserted a LAN card and that works without problems. Is my board faulty? What should I do? Rma or live with an ugly pcie LAN card?

This is so frustrating because it is so expensive and an rma ages.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Nodens
Level 16
Do you have AI Suite installed?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Yes. Everything installed. I also want to add that everytime I enable LAN in the bios, it instantly hard resets.

please guys help me out. what should i do? rma or just get a nic card?

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
First: Remove the CMOS batt for several minutes (this will also clear CMOS, so have your settings recorded) with power unplugged or switched off at the PSU. Then replace batt. Press & hold clear CMOS W/the PSU switched on and the computer off for several seconds. This will reset it to "new" condition, Asus calls it "CLRTC".
Then try it with nothing plugged in. If that works, but then you get the prob with your cable plugged in...
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Ive tried clearing cmos twice already 😞 and i dont think the battery is faulty because it keeps time correctly.

this is what the internet port looks like when pc is turned off: 16304

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
Oh, come to think of it: First examine the socket for misaligned/crossed wires.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.

maximiza
Level 11
try a new ethernet cable , sometimes they get shorts

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
pauly94 that's not a good pic as the inside of the socket is dark, but I have done some quick image enhancement and from what I can see the "wires" or "springs" inside the socket are missing. There should be 8 of them. I can see the 8 plastic slots that guide the spring wires straight, but they appear to be missing. They should look more like these, can you confirm?

Nodens
Level 16
Do not install the AI Suite. This sounds like the ASUS Fan Controller service issue.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.