Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Get 32GB...make a 24GB RAMdisk, use 8GB for OS. @Rewben's got the best idea....get your OS to R/W all its temporary runtime files and cache/swap files on the RAMdisk.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Tomislav's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fostert View Post
    Get 32GB...make a 24GB RAMdisk, use 8GB for OS. @Rewben's got the best idea....get your OS to R/W all its temporary runtime files and cache/swap files on the RAMdisk.
    that is a good idea + you can also BRAG MORE!!!
    ASUS G75VX
    Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Or wait a few months, spend the money, and get 64 GB and BRAG BIG TIME! Actually, @fostert is right, that is something to consider. Do you do that? I didn't set up a RAM disk since I only have 16 GB and use a good deal of it with my VMs. I also don't tend to generate zillions of temporary files, and with enough RAM, I never use the swapfile.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Ah... Thanks for all the suggestions. 32GB RAM. Wow that would be insane. But yeah Ramdisk is perfect for that.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Tomislav's Avatar

bragging aside, you could start doing some video/photo editing to put that RAM to good use. I personally always had better software and no money for
    good hardware that is up until now. Now I have G. So to paraphrase someone in one of the threads here : just the mere ability to have 16 GB of RAM, feels like...victory.
    ASUS G75VX
    Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
    bragging aside, you could start doing some video/photo editing to put that RAM to good use. I personally always had better software and no money for
    good hardware that is up until now. Now I have G. So to paraphrase someone in one of the threads here : just the mere ability to have 16 GB of RAM, feels like...victory.
    Ah... I found a use now... Will put Browser caches, Hawken and eventually Steam Games (when I buy Dead Space 3, etc.) onto RAMDisk. As for video/photo editing yes, perhaps in time, I am switching from Mac so in a few months I will need to decide whether to use Adobe CS6 or some other tool (used Adobe for a long time, I think it is very professional but getting rather bloated now). Cheers.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

well, that's not my idea; i learned it from some nice folks many many years ago (when we could brag if we had 64mb of RAM haha!); then i put it to use in linux.

a few months ago there's a bottle neck of hard disk when i needed to process thousands of incoming emails through antivirus/spam software; so a small ram disk as temp helped boost up the process a lot; that's how i managed to get an old box from a client, with intel p4 and 1gb ram to process 15k emails a day, without hiccups haha!

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    well, that's not my idea; i learned it from some nice folks many many years ago (when we could brag if we had 64mb of RAM haha!); then i put it to use in linux.

a few months ago there's a bottle neck of hard disk when i needed to process thousands of incoming emails through antivirus/spam software; so a small ram disk as temp helped boost up the process a lot; that's how i managed to get an old box from a client, with intel p4 and 1gb ram to process 15k emails a day, without hiccups haha!
    That's really pretty awesome! When you are bound up in the disk, everything grinds to a halt. I may have to consider moving my tmp runtime files to a RAM-disk, but I think most of them are. With my 16 GB of RAM, I never page-out anything.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    That's really pretty awesome! When you are bound up in the disk, everything grinds to a halt. I may have to consider moving my tmp runtime files to a RAM-disk, but I think most of them are. With my 16 GB of RAM, I never page-out anything.
    haha you're correct; 16gb of ram is really abundant

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by rewben View Post
    yeah make a ram disk
    How do you do that?
    G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
    Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast