cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have no idea what to do with 16GB of RAM

srmojuze
Level 10
Honestly. Just last year I went to 8GB of RAM, and I thought that was extreme. Just got my G55 and 16GB of RAM??? Seriously, what do I do with it? 😮

Ramdisk is a possibility, but honestly the 128GB SSD is fast enough.

Suggestions please...
41 REPLIES 41

rewben
Level 13
yeah make a ram disk; it helps to save some writes/erases to your ssd (thus prolong the life of your ssd).

i use ram disk for work; i also put my cache, temporary files, or whatever that can be thrown away safely after shutdown in my ram disk. i use it for downloads too. normally i scan the ram disk after a day's work before i moved the files to my external drive; everything is super fast (except for the time to transfer those gigabytes of files from ram drive to spindle discs).

rewben wrote:
yeah make a ram disk; it helps to save some writes/erases to your ssd (thus prolong the life of your ssd).

i use ram disk for work; i also put my cache, temporary files, or whatever that can be thrown away safely after shutdown in my ram disk. i use it for downloads too. normally i scan the ram disk after a day's work before i moved the files to my external drive; everything is super fast (except for the time to transfer those gigabytes of files from ram drive to spindle discs).

Cheers, definitely something to think about.

rewben wrote:
yeah make a ram disk

How do you do that?
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

rewben wrote:
my current favorite: http://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/

more can be found here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/12-ram-disk-software-benchmarked-for-fastest-read-and-write-speed/

Could you be more specific with the size of your RAMDisk and what you have remapped Windows to store there? I haven't really explored the idea of using a RAMDisk because I have 2 SSD in RAID-0 and don't expect much performance increase... but I have began looking into it...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

BNaughty wrote:
Could you be more specific with the size of your RAMDisk and what you have remapped Windows to store there? I haven't really explored the idea of using a RAMDisk because I have 2 SSD in RAID-0 and don't expect much performance increase... but I have began looking into it...

the idea is this:
1. ssd takes care of OS/app loading;
2. for data, we know ssd has a limited writes/erase cycles; to minimize writes/erases on ssd, a ram disk is a better alternative than a hdd; so you identify and remap a few directories that are used by the OS/apps to cater for high read/write operations.

what i need and do is very simple:
1. create a 16gb ramdisk and set up the ramdisk app;

2. map user temporary folder, cache folders of my firefox and chrome, and all browsers have their download folder pointed to ram disk.

a ram disk is still about 7 times faster than a raid0.

edit: note that i use the option that creates the ramdisk and directory structures on-the-fly; i do not create a ramdisk image that can be reused (i.e. preserve the state of ram disk contents and reloaded upon next boot).

Super thanx man, I clicked the Rep button, let's see if it works...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

BNaughty wrote:
Super thanx man, I clicked the Rep button, let's see if it works...

And I'm going to super thanx your super thanx. 😉

task650 wrote:
And I'm going to super thanx your super thanx. 😉

Welcome @task650! I'm curious to know what helped you. Were you planning on getting 16 GB of RAM?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23