cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z 8150 won't boot, FF code

Bigolfishy
Level 7
Welcome to my nightmare. My first Crosshair board fried a cap the moment it powered up. Nothing was shorted, and since then I've used a micro-atx in this case that worked flawlessly. I am now on my second Crosshair V Formula-Z board, and whilst my luck has been better with this one, I still can't get anything on my monitor, and my keyboard and mouse show no signs of life either. I get a steady FF code the moment I turn it on, and my DRAM LED is also on. If I try the go button, the VGA LED starts flashing.

Specs:
ASUS Crossfire V Formula-Z
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.9GHz/4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core with Liquid Cooling KitFD8150FRGUWOX
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Model F3-14900CL9Q-16GBZL
Corsair HX850 PSU
2x ASUS EAH5870 GPUs

So far I have tried disconnecting all non essential hardware. Testing with no RAM, 1 stick of RAM in farthest slot from processor, updating BIOS to 1201 (from 500ish), and removing the CMOS battery overnight. The BIOS seemed to go perfectly as I did it through the ROG port and renamed it properly. I waited until the LED stopped blinking as instructed. At this point I am beyond frustrated. I put my heart into building this computer more than once now, and I'm having no luck. If anyone can help me I, I would greatly appreciate it.
25 REPLIES 25

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic Of Gamers forums, Bigolfishy.

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having problems with the CHVF. Let's start with the following.

1. Disconnect and remove everything from your motherboard and take it out of your case and put it on the box that it came with.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Wait 5 minutes then insert the battery back in its place.
4. Install the CPU with the stock heatsink.
5. Install 1 stick of RAM into the DIMM_A2 slot.
6. Connect only the power cables (24 pin & 8 pin).
7. Insert one of your HD5870 into the first PCIe slot.
8. Connect the power cables to your HD5870.
9. Power on the motherboard using the Start button.

Let me know which LEDS light up, if there are any Q-Codes or any beeps.

Bigolfishy
Level 7
I will try what you have suggested as soon I can get back to my system. I also want to add that I have also checked the underside of the board to ensure it's not shorting to the case, and I had also tried my tests with only the 8 and 24 pin power cables attached.

lewybear
Level 7
I had the same problem bought a fx8350 and new ram for my chvf thought it was the board as the old cpu and ram then didn't work went to the chvfz same problem, turns out the power supply wasn't working right at all. Are you sure the less light are correct? As the labelling is slight skewed so the bottom one is actually the cpu then the dram then the VGA. I'd try another psu aswell as seeing if your pump fires up on attempted boot, let us know how it alls goes this happens a lot on that board with fx cpu it can be fixed!
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Bigolfishy
Level 7
Of the 4 LEDs that have white boxes around them, just under the 24 pin power connector, the leftmost one is the one that comes on when I hit the start button. The LED to the right of it, is the one that starts flashing when I hit the go button.

I'm skeptical of this being a PSU problem because this same PSU has worked fine in with a Mirco-atx i7, and a full ATX i7 in just the last 2 weeks.

I can't tell you how bad this is stressing me out. I bought this board, and this CPU because they looked like the biggest bang for the buck. I never thought I would see the day that motherboards are sent out knowingly not ready for certain CPUs. I even went as far as to pick my RAM from the QVL list, just so a problem like this would not happen. My first board is in the RMA process, and Newegg accused me of catching it on fire (which is funny because there was no fire, or even a burn mark on the board, just a pop when I hit the power button), and when I called ASUS I was told that it may or may not be covered.

I just want this to work so badly. And it's looking to be a long, complicated RMA process to fix anything. That first RMA is in limbo, since they sent me an e-mail stating that there were no boards in stock to send me.

I should also add that I'm CompTIA A+ certified.

It is the same PSU, but I have 2 other PSUs lying around as well. One a 450w 80+ bronze, and a corsair 800 80+ gold. I've used this PSU in between boards with no problems.

Chino
Level 15
After looking over your first post, I've just noticed that you're using the AMD closed loop system. Did you overtighten the screws when you installed it? If so, try loosening a little and see if it'll posts.

EDIT: LOL you got me confused with the LEDS. Leftmost one? Are you referring to the CPU_LED? The GO LED blinking just means you've enable the MemOK! function before posting.

lewybear
Level 7
When your first board popped was that with this psu? did it work on another board inbetween? my psu was scrap thing was it ran my old chvf board setup fine right until i popped the new cpu and ram in then no post same with the chvfz board i got to replace it next day.
seems the act of disconecting it finally did it in i mean it powered the board but caused the same issue as you have now.
Rampage v edition 10
I7-6950x @ 4.1ghz
Dominator platinum 32gb @ 3000mhz
NZXT X76 Kraken 360mm rad cooler
Corsair ax1600i psu full white cable set
Samsung EVO 970 1tb M.2 boot
Samsung EVO 850 1tbx4 SSD raid, storage
Titan xp jedi collectors edition
NZXT Phantom 820 full fan set
ROG frontbase
Samsung 55" 1000hz (140hz effective) 4k hdr tv as monitor
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Bigolfishy
Level 7
Alright my friends, I've tried a different PSU, with only the 24 PIN and 4 PIN power cables connecter. Besides the CPU fan (pump), the USB header for the cooler, the single HD5870 with it's power cables attached, and nothing else. No SATA data, no optical, no front IO.
I am still using the supplied Kuhler as it's the only one that I have. It was a package from Newegg. I used the last of my thermal compound attaching it to this board.
I inspected my CPU pins with a magnifying glass. They're all there, and perfectly in line. The ZIF socket seems like it's working flawlessly. At this point, I'm thinking it's either a physical problem within the board, or in the CPU. But if there is ANY chance that I can fix this, I would try it. I need this system up and running, and I'm counting on you guys' experience and helpfulness.

Bigolfishy
Level 7
"After looking over your first post, I've just noticed that you're using the AMD closed loop system. Did you overtighten the screws when you installed it? If so, try loosening a little and see if it'll posts."

I loosened them some, but I didn't go super tight to begin with. The supplied instructions were next to worthless, and gave no specific values.

"EDIT: LOL you got me confused with the LEDS. Leftmost one? Are you referring to the CPU_LED? The GO LED blinking just means you've enable the MemOK! function before posting."

I'm sorry. My case is a HAF XB, so the board sits flat, and to me the LEDs in question are lined up under the 24 PIN plug. 4 of them have white boxes drawn around them on the PCB. The far left one is the one that lights up when I turn it on. It's under the word DRAM, but as another poster mentioned, they're a little scewed. If that is the case, then it's the CPU LED.

Another note, when I hit the start button the CPU cooler fans, CPU cooler pump, and GPU fans all come on at 100%. There is no audible beep through the speaker. I even tried reversing the polarity on the speaker to ensure it was in correctly. Thanks again.