Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB controller/host issue

Mikael_P_
Level 9
Hello board,
(I'm on a G74SX w7-64)
while trying to solve connectivity issues with my usb 3 connected HD I have apparently created more problems for myself.
I was following another thread on this board where they had suggestions for getting USB3 to behave properly. They were saying to uninstall anything that had a host or controller after it under:
Device Manager >> Universal serial Bus controllers

Hapily I went along but now I get errors from something calling itself:
Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26
there's another one with a 1C2D at the end too.

I've found the chipset drivers at intel's site but for some reason windows does not like it as I get this error message:
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

I've tried different versions of uninstalling/restarting/windows update/forcing it to look in a specified folder for updated drivers/etc

Now however I'm out of options. I don't really know what to try next. Anyone out there that has any ideas?
Thanks a lot for the help!

Mikael
12 REPLIES 12

dstrakele
Level 14
See if you can use Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before you began making changes for the USB issue.

If it successfully brings you back, try installing the latest Intel Chipset Device Software with the -overall switch to update all the drivers. Then reboot and install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver and run the AsPatch included in the installation file set. If you have ASUS Ai Charger Plus installed, uninstall it, then reboot and reinstall it.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi and thanks for the reply! The restore did not do the trick sadly. I tried three different timestamps, two made just before this removal and the last one from a couple of days ago.
Every time I was greated by:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's files and settings were not changed.

Details:
System Restore failed while restoring the registry from the restore point.
The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore.

Are there other options to try apart from a clean install?

dstrakele
Level 14
Try a System Restore from a week or a month ago. You can undo it if you don't like the results.

It's interesting both the Chipset driver installation and System Restore are complaining about the registry. Here is where you'd restore the Windows System Image from the backup of your system. But just as with System Restore, you'd need to locate the backup where the registry does not have issues.

How long has it been since you installed Windows on this laptop? Installations, updates, and uninstallations typically bloat up the Windows registry after about a year or so. A nice, fresh, clean install of Windows 7, free of ASUS Bloatware, with the latest Intel Chipset, Fresco Logic USB 3.0, and NVIDIA video drivers might be just what the doctor ordered. But that's a decision you need to make...

Ha, yeah I know what you mean! There are several small issues that's been cropping up lately so I've been considering it. It's just that I'd rather not spend a day doing it..
I found a fix for this though! The magical trick of removing upper and lower filters. I had no idea that could be so effective:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ss/upperfilters-lowerfilters-sbs.htm
There was a list here:
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/a/device-class-guid.htm
and under the USB Host I found a lower filter containing AiCharge. Removing that did the trick and now it reinstalled all USB controllers as it should! However the Bluetooth controller failed (yay!)
It was indicated like this:
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2 Failed
I tried to find a GUID for Bluetooth so I could do the same trick twice, but no luck.

Now I'm just back to my original issue, USB3 connectivity! As everyone else I've got a WD Passport that won't stay properly connected. So far I've only tried copying stuff to it and every once in a while it disconnects and immediately reconnects. The speeds I've been getting are around 25 MB/s which I gathered was low.

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 That's good stuff, Mikael! Perhaps you could find the Bluetooth GUID in the "Details" tab of Bluetooth device Properties in Device Manager and search the registry for it.

Cables and USB drive firmware have also been reported as factors in USB 3.0 connection issues.

Reported USB 3.0 speeds have always seemed like a scam to me. They always report a maximum burst speed that is nowhere near real world values.

Apparently the bluetooth issue wasn't there today. As I never use it I won't bother looking further into that.
However the USB 3 connectivity issue persists. It behaves more or less like for everyone else.

I have two different WD My Passport 2 TB drives and they both exhibit this issue. Both of them come with really short specialized cables (as the drive requires a specific attachment (no microUSB here)).
They work fine over USB 2 too.

The main thing is that it disconnects after a while and then immediately reconnects. I've only been backing up smaller files so it hasn't been a big issue so far.

* I've reinstalled the USB 3 fresco drivers
* Removed and reinstalled the USB controllers in device manager
* Tried having the USB Charger Plus running and not running (it seemed to contain newer drivers compared to the AiCharge Chastity mentioned in another post.)
* Tried turning off windows capability to shut down the USB 3 Root Hub to save on power.

None of these things changed the bad behaviour.

I haven't tried to attach the drives over a powered USB hub, as the only hub I got is a USB 2 one.

Are there some other options out there that I have failed to notice? Any pointers much appreciated!

dstrakele
Level 14
In http://community.wdc.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/My-Passport-2TB-USB-3-0-keeps-randomly-disconnect..., rolling back to an EARLIER Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver (version 3.5.20.0) is reported to be the solution. The oldest and newest driver versions apparently have disconnection issues with the WD 2TB My Passport USB 3.0 drives.

Mikael_P_
Level 9
Fantastic! Thanks so much. That did the trick (at least I haven't had any issues after backing up 60 GB). Previously I would have had numerous disconnects with such a hefty amount of data.
I couldn't find the version you linked to. But I just rolled back to an old version, 3.0.100.58 which works here!

dstrakele
Level 14
In the referenced thread, @kyroguy obtained 3.5.20.0 from Windows Update in late September 2012 after uninstalling a more recent Fresco Logic driver and rebooting.