Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

I've flashed my M5G back to 1408, 1604 would not remember changes I made and even clrcmos would leave settings on the previously set value:? ...

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by DarkjeThe2nd View Post
    I've flashed my M5G back to 1408, 1604 would not remember changes I made and even clrcmos would leave settings on the previously set value:? ...
    Tried both and both version exhibits the same multiplier locked bug. Suggest to roll back to version 804 as advised by one of the posters in the earlier part of this thread.

Damn.. This bug is annoying... Any updates from Asus?

ROG Enthusiast Array

I was wondering what was up. Thanks to OCN I found out it wasn't USER error... I
    m just going to flashback to earlier UEFI Version.
    Last edited by Mich2Ga; 02-12-2013 at 07:28 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

well , after i've reached my stable oc , i thought why not return to the new bios (1604) as i dont need to change the multi or tweak the system no more .
    so i did that , ran for 2 days and i have one conclusion - those new bioses are a disaster .
    few minutes ago , when i powered the system , the bios went crazy again , loaded some random numbers - constant vcore at 1.53V , all oc multiplier was reset , and the fan settings were reset too.
    the only way i could know is the low rpm fan warning (my pwm fans spin lower then 600 rpm which gives warning when bios loads , when not disabled)
    strange that the "vcore above 1.5v" warning was not reset .
    it just loadsup some random settings that i might used previously , and some setting go to default .
    anyway , i'm back to my old bios until its fixed .

Banned Array

1604 does that sometimes during warm restart. yes, it is crazy, it actually happens on all MVE BIOSes ranging from 1309 to 1604 (and all similar Maximus V, compare by release dates and notes).

however older BIOSes have different issues, like unstable offsets at higher clocks, higher vcore needed to get stable at same clocks, crippled UEFI support (e.g. 704 doesn't support UEFI Secure Boot).

I still rock 1604, just learned to live with it for now. whenever BIOS goes crazy and I usually see that in exhaust fan speed (and its LED light intensity which is proportional to RPM speed), I just clear CMOS and load optimized defaults TWICE, then it works fine ... for some time.
    It also probably helps that I run the rig 24/7, so I restart only once a week or so or when updating drivers or changing overclocks.

Super Moderator Array

i cant reproduce it here can u list the steps to reproduce this? (from a clear cmos as simple as possible)
    anything amiss comparing the page in my attachment with regards to ME version and so on?
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos 090214022111.jpg  

Banned Array

hello Shamino! thanks for chiming in

well, I don't have exact steps to reproduce it ni 100% because it happens intermittently, sometimes right after setting the first CPU OC (from Cleared CMOS, Loaded Defaults and restarted) and other times takes several warm restarts while keeping the rig 24/7.

Step 0.
    A hint. What triggers it for me most often however is when I perform a hard reset on running system (e.g. because my GPU OC was too high badly crashed the driver in some benchmark and need to hard restart) then it's almost 100% that after restart the CPU OC multiplier will be wrong and half of BIOS settings regarding Fan Speed, Internal CPU PLL override, CPU Power settings (EIST, C1E, C-states, etc.) will get reverted to auto/default values. in this scenario the vcore stays usually intact, but the multiplier resets to automatic (Digi+ settings usually stay intact however so system might be more or less stable still).

now the best part, when I see a problem like the one described above I usually either Load Optimized Defaults or Clear CMOS straight away.
    in both instances the results are sometimes unexpected e.g. like this:

1. did not Clear CMOS, just loaded optimized defaults and restarted:
    a) all values are back to default, however setting the CPU OC causes the multiplier NOT to kick in as reported in Windows (can be adjusted with Ai TurboV)
    b) half of values restored are filled with former (usually last one) OC while some are default. if user tries overwriting them with new OC settings then most likely it will never be stable and the CPU multi will get stuck as reported in Windows at values from former OC multi (not the new one just entered),

2. performed a Clear CMOS successfully and:
    a) Loaded Optimized Defaults and all looks good (all values at auto/default) and all works perfectly fine
    b) Loaded Optimized Defaults and half of settings still resemble the former (before CMOS Clear) OC while others are at default, most likely the new OC will be unstable no matter if using known good settings or overshooting voltages. usually I load optimized defaults once again (and restart) or Clear CMOS again to fix it.

Also, on a side note, if user is running Ai Fan Xpert component then most likely CMOS is corrupted already, because that application at up latest version messes greatly with the modern BIOSes (1309-1604 on MVE), frequently reverting half of BIOS settings (same ones as mentioned in Step 0 above).
    That Fan XPert problem might be related to same thing or not, because it also can cause (with conjunction with AIDA64) a motherboard shutdown or restart with no BSOD on electrical level as documented here, maybe it will help you somewhat too:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-in-background

ROG Enthusiast Array

are they going to fix this in an update or what? I can't believe the BIOS for ROG motherboards are so unstable when it comes to actually changing the settings and making sure they actually STICK.

I mean WTF? we are paying premium prices for these boards.

New ROGer Array

I just built a new system couple of weeks ago. It happened to me when I was attempting to overclock the CPU. Not the exact steps but below are what I did,
    - load latest bios version 1604
    - started off load optimized to ensure that everything is running fine
    - load XMP profile from my memory
    - start to overclock with x50 multiplier, 1.4 Vcc, 100% LLC
    - only played with the 3 settings and nothing else, bclk remains at 100
    - used linx and prime95 as stability tests and for finding out temp at 100% load
    - if i encounter crash, error or high temp, I would tune down the 3 settings and rerun the tests
    - the multiplier locked bug happened during the process of overclocking
    - I loaded bios version 1408 and the bug went off, was able to continue from where I left off
    - then the multiplier locked bug happened again when I was still tuning the 3 settings
    - I loaded bios version 804 and the bug went off
    - I continued with my work and the bug did not happened again (yet)

Hope you are able to replicate the bug and resolve it~

ROG Enthusiast Array

for me , most time it happens after i crash with some unstable overclock , but not always .
    today , i was playing with my memory on the 1604 bios .at one point , i entered bios to change speed from 1600 to 1333 mhz xmp profile .thats all that was changed . saved the changes and once it started to boot , i recieved cpu fan speed error .entered bios and i see that my cpu fan settings were reset to stock . all the other bios parameters were ok .
    it might got something to do with the pwm fan control after all .

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast