Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

i also updated all intel drivers via win8 , and honestly , my system is running stable without the bios going crazy for 2 weeks already .
    but i no longer bench , running 5g stable .so far no problems .
    oh , and i'm back to win7 , as win8 sucks .
    Last edited by sstephan; 03-06-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Banned Array

yeah, I don't bench either since a while and no problems. wondering if the problem comes back if I started benching (experiencing a crash sooner or later when pushing clocks). so far the unstable settings were what triggered the problem in first place (not always though).

what you didn't like about win8, sstephan?
    I learned to like win8 very much I actually nowadays prefer it over win7 hehe, not using Metro UI, sitting in Desktop app all the time and all works fine here in this system.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by feniks View Post
    what you didn't like about win8, sstephan?
    I learned to like win8 very much I actually nowadays prefer it over win7 hehe, not using Metro UI, sitting in Desktop app all the time and all works fine here in this system.
    it works great , it might be even more stable then win7 . but it looks like it was meant for kids , not a power user .reminds me of osx .
    i dont need 2 operating systmes (metro+ regular desktop) nor i will ever use a touchscreen on my main monitor .and win7 works great for me on a desktop .
    if the metro ui could be uninstalled , it would be a different story . i know i can disable it with some third party software , buy why bother if win7 works great ?
    the only thing i like more on win8 is the new task manager .
    sorry for the off topic

Banned Array

hah, yeah I wish Metro UI could be uninstalled completely or at least disabled with one click on some checkbox somewhere in COntrol Panel ... I learned to just ignore it and pretend it's not there ... new task manager is awesome actually and the ability to scan (checkdisk) on OS disc while in Windows is even better (no need to schedule scan & restart anymore). Also the UEFI boot mode seems to work better in win8? anyways, I like those improvements and chose to ignore the annoyances heh.

... now, where is our new BIOS?

Have spent almost 5 days messing around with my Gene V (1604). Trying to "migrate" my OC freqs from my dead p8p67 evo (excellent results so far).

I've dealt with some bios crazyness twice, bios settings not being saved, multi not being applied, C states not honoring the bios settings, Vcore being set to Auto without any reason etc. The last one is the most dangerous especially if you run the cpu at high multies...my 2600K ate +1.7V just because the bios flipped and set the Vcore sign from + to Auto, good thing is since i am in stability testing sessions at the time being, first thing i check when booting Win is Vcore, Frequency and temperature. Didn't had to clear CMOS though, couple of re-entering to bios, set one by one the settings or reload an OC profile a couple of times did the job (btw, i love the ability to save/load OC profiles to/from a USB stick, very useful to me).

This happened twice out of the 200 times i entered, changed a value (or load an OC profile and change some values) and save/exit so it's not a real deal breaker since i admit that (and talking from first hand experience) the Gene V is so much better in terms of overclocking performance and stability than my evo...

ROG Member Array

Thumbs up Angry.

I have 30 x MVF boards in data centres around the world running 5.0Ghz+ overclocks. This issue costs me 300 euros per HOUR (more than what each board is worth) every time it fails - just this morning I have spent 2 hours on the phone with a datacentre in Germany trying to get this issue resolved.

I will not even consider any further Asus motherboards on the back of this problem. Asus, you have known about this issue for MONTHS and yet there is still no update - what, exactly, is the problem in releasing the fix?

All up I have around 40 machines worldwide running ROG motherboards (MVF and the older Maximus IV Extreme), which was set to grow exponentially. I will never buy Asus again.

ROG Enthusiast Array

any ETA for the next firmware update? where will it be posted first, on the asus download area? I just need to know where to keep checking. Thanks

Banned Array

when BIOS "lockup" problem happens, what helps me always is a sequence of steps:
    a) clear CMOS
    b) F1, Load Defs F5, Save & Reset F10
    c) go back in, again F5 & F10
    d) always good to go from there

I wish the issue was fixed, even though I know that MVE BIOS 704 is free of this problem I refuse to use it since I am running win8 in UEFI mode and I want the win8 compatibility improvements (e.g. Secure Boot) and stability improvements (CPU vcore at 5.0GHz for me) introduced on newer BIOSes (along with a bug unfortunately) ...

I keep checking ASUS Downloads every day hoping for an update ... can't really bench at higher clocks on this BIOS or CPU settings sometimes become unstable after warm restart for no apparent reason even if there was no BIOS "lockup" (stability returns at same settings after following the steps I outlined above).

Quote Originally Posted by fommof View Post
    Have spent almost 5 days messing around with my Gene V (1604). Trying to "migrate" my OC freqs from my dead p8p67 evo (excellent results so far).

I've dealt with some bios crazyness twice, bios settings not being saved, multi not being applied, C states not honoring the bios settings, Vcore being set to Auto without any reason etc. The last one is the most dangerous especially if you run the cpu at high multies...my 2600K ate +1.7V just because the bios flipped and set the Vcore sign from + to Auto, good thing is since i am in stability testing sessions at the time being, first thing i check when booting Win is Vcore, Frequency and temperature. Didn't had to clear CMOS though, couple of re-entering to bios, set one by one the settings or reload an OC profile a couple of times did the job (btw, i love the ability to save/load OC profiles to/from a USB stick, very useful to me).

This happened twice out of the 200 times i entered, changed a value (or load an OC profile and change some values) and save/exit so it's not a real deal breaker since i admit that (and talking from first hand experience) the Gene V is so much better in terms of overclocking performance and stability than my evo...

Aaaaaargggg...happened again and this time it was worse...settings wouldn't actually saved, messy multy etc...i had to re-flash the bios (clear cmos, re-flash, clear cmos, just in case)....

ROG Enthusiast Array

I've had it happen on 1408 also a cpl of times, change some setting in bios, save&exit, get the cpu-fan error at boot -and yes- whole sections seem to have been reset to defaults, including the fan settings. I really hope a new bios will solve all this, but it seems there is a prob releasing it or even a beta bc nothing concrete materialized almost 3 weeks after announcement?
    »Asus-M5G »I5-2500K-D2-3148C059-4700M-1.36V »ScytheMugen2Rev.B »16G[4x4G-Samsung M378B5273DH0-CH9 1333@2133] »SeasonicM12D/850W »ShiMian 27" »Asus-GTX660-Ti-2G »OCZ Vertex2-120G »8TB Hdd's

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast