Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

yup but here we aere still waiting

Banned Array

sure, I'm eager to get new BIOS too. however 1604 works more or less if not benchmarking or pushing clocks too high (CPU instability breaks it) ... it can still break LOL, like it did yesterday, had to clear CMOS and set all a new.

don't get me wrong, I agree, It's bad to the point where I would not and will not recommend any ASUS boards to clients if they want to use UEFI (which is calling for latest BIOS).

was just saying that it takes time to release a new certified BIOS, that's all.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Temporary Solutions / Tips re. Bios 1604 issues

...I posted a few months ago on the same problems many of you have had with 'disappearing multipliers' and such in the latest Bios (1604) which affected my MVE board, and apparently other boards as well. The original 'problem' occurred' after pushing my system past 5.3 GHz and trying out a few different settings, not all of them working well, so some freezes and a lot of rebooting > that seems to be the problems and also incorporates another solution, per below

...there were other posts which talked about uninstalling 'Fanexpert2' - thanks for that as that helped alleviate the 'frozen multiplier state', even though I have been running Fanexpert2 again now for over a month in Bios 1604 without any issues, just following a simple rule re. rebooting below.

...when the original problem occurred, I noticed that Intel's excellent 'Extreme Tuning Utility' (XTU) also lost its ability to affect multiplier...running a software company for the past decade and a half, that told me that this is likely at least in part related to Windows & registry changes, perhaps affected by some settings in Asus AI Suite after a given number of crashes.

...so uninstalling AI SUite (all of it, including FanExpert) was step 1. I then uninstalled XTU, and reinstalled it, given me back the ability to affect multipliers in Windows via XTU...Then reinstalled just two parts of the AISuite (Turbo V, Digi+)...also worked fine.

...after upgrading the cooling system to a custom loop and getting ready for multiple HWBot record runs, I needed FanExpert2 and reinstalled it...that started to reintroduce the multiplier problem 'to some degree', setting it in the Bios (ie 50x) would still revert back to whatever AI Suite / TurboV had prior to rebooting. That confirmed that there is some interplay between Win7 registry, AI Suite and even XTU, which makes sense, given that they are Windows programs...

NOW FOR THE 'TIP'...

...as indicated, preparing for record runs for my HWBot team necessitated leaving the 'daily comfort zone' settings and kicking it up a notch...and reintroduced the danger of FanExpert and other AISuite components going into some sort of 'safe mode' after rebooting from a freeze etc.

...a simple way to avoid it I have now tested on my MVE over 50 times is this: If you freeze because of too wild settings and having AiSuite (incl. FanExpert) installed even if not loaded, just let it boot back AT LEAST ONCE to a normal daily setting once WITHOUT making any changes, ie in multiplier, BCLK or vCore...may be open a simple program or two like email or a web browser, wait a few minutes and then boot down again.

I wish I could explain it better and I am not entirely sure myself yet as for the real reasons, but it seems letting Windows see a full cycle of 'no problems', freezes etc avoids some sort of lock which seems to affect the registry if it sees multiple boot cycles that all end in a freeze or crash.

After a 'healthy' boot-up and boot-down, then you can try some more crazy settings again...and a failure with those resulting in freezes will not lock you out from changing multipliers again as long as in the next boot cycle, you let it 'recover' per above...this has worked for me for many weeks now, complete w/FanExpert2 etc running and trying out all kinds of different HWBot run configurations.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array nikosa43's Avatar

Please have a look to my thread:http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...y=&status=That incident made think something. (Maybe I am wrong).We all waiting for a new BIOS. I think that the problem for the lockups is not there. BIOS is the program (firmware) of the board. When we change things inside we don't actually change things into BIOS. We change things in CMOS, which is a different thing, an EEPROM that the firmware reads when it starts and uses its values. So when we have lockups it's not the BIOS that gives the error. It' s the CMOS values (EEPROM), that cannot change. I do not know the detailed engineering behind this and how this cooperate but I strongly believe that a new BIOS revision it is will not give the solution to our problem. It's just a thought.....

ROG Enthusiast Array

I just want the damn bios update.. hurry up asus. and fix the thunderfx drivers too please.

Banned Array

Fan Xpert2 is a terribly coded app including both the installer and windows service changes it carries (services stay affected even after normal uninstallation, you need to use Ai Cleaner to fix it). Actually if you run AIDA64 monitoring you would notice that this software combo could shutdown unexpectedly or restart (without BSOD) your system on electrical level LOL. we have documented this issue here long time ago:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-in-background

Now apart from Ai Suite and Fan Xpert, the BIOSes ranging from 1309 up to 1604 still can experience some settings getting reverted to auto during warm restart, multiplier lockups and even vcore instability between restarts (a complete shutdown for 1 minute usually fixes this one).
    IMHO, since ASUS introduced the ROG Exchange with 1309 BIOS (talking about MVE boards here) and also implemented it for all other ROG releases something got altered badly in the whole ROG BIOS series.

I can replicate the same locked multiplier problem or issues with some settings getting reverted to auto on all ROG BIOSes from 1309 up to 1604. that is 6 months of BIOS releases. since I do need latest BIOS for running UEFI boot on GPT partition, I tend to use the latest BIOS, hopefully ASUS finally releases the fixed version, because it's all just ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by snowking7 View Post
    Temporary Solutions / Tips re. Bios 1604 issues

...I posted a few months ago on the same problems many of you have had with 'disappearing multipliers' and such in the latest Bios (1604) which affected my MVE board, and apparently other boards as well. The original 'problem' occurred' after pushing my system past 5.3 GHz and trying out a few different settings, not all of them working well, so some freezes and a lot of rebooting > that seems to be the problems and also incorporates another solution, per below

...there were other posts which talked about uninstalling 'Fanexpert2' - thanks for that as that helped alleviate the 'frozen multiplier state', even though I have been running Fanexpert2 again now for over a month in Bios 1604 without any issues, just following a simple rule re. rebooting below.

...when the original problem occurred, I noticed that Intel's excellent 'Extreme Tuning Utility' (XTU) also lost its ability to affect multiplier...running a software company for the past decade and a half, that told me that this is likely at least in part related to Windows & registry changes, perhaps affected by some settings in Asus AI Suite after a given number of crashes.

...so uninstalling AI SUite (all of it, including FanExpert) was step 1. I then uninstalled XTU, and reinstalled it, given me back the ability to affect multipliers in Windows via XTU...Then reinstalled just two parts of the AISuite (Turbo V, Digi+)...also worked fine.

...after upgrading the cooling system to a custom loop and getting ready for multiple HWBot record runs, I needed FanExpert2 and reinstalled it...that started to reintroduce the multiplier problem 'to some degree', setting it in the Bios (ie 50x) would still revert back to whatever AI Suite / TurboV had prior to rebooting. That confirmed that there is some interplay between Win7 registry, AI Suite and even XTU, which makes sense, given that they are Windows programs...

NOW FOR THE 'TIP'...

...as indicated, preparing for record runs for my HWBot team necessitated leaving the 'daily comfort zone' settings and kicking it up a notch...and reintroduced the danger of FanExpert and other AISuite components going into some sort of 'safe mode' after rebooting from a freeze etc.

...a simple way to avoid it I have now tested on my MVE over 50 times is this: If you freeze because of too wild settings and having AiSuite (incl. FanExpert) installed even if not loaded, just let it boot back AT LEAST ONCE to a normal daily setting once WITHOUT making any changes, ie in multiplier, BCLK or vCore...may be open a simple program or two like email or a web browser, wait a few minutes and then boot down again.

I wish I could explain it better and I am not entirely sure myself yet as for the real reasons, but it seems letting Windows see a full cycle of 'no problems', freezes etc avoids some sort of lock which seems to affect the registry if it sees multiple boot cycles that all end in a freeze or crash.

After a 'healthy' boot-up and boot-down, then you can try some more crazy settings again...and a failure with those resulting in freezes will not lock you out from changing multipliers again as long as in the next boot cycle, you let it 'recover' per above...this has worked for me for many weeks now, complete w/FanExpert2 etc running and trying out all kinds of different HWBot run configurations.

ROG Enthusiast Array

...certainly not 'defending' the Bios problems, just letting folks know about a workaround until a new, fixed Bios is available...and I do run Aida64...in any case, even FanExpert2 works great for me now, as do all the multiplier settings, by following the procedure I outlined earlier as a 'stop-gap'

Banned Array

Quote Originally Posted by snowking7 View Post
    ...certainly not 'defending' the Bios problems, just letting folks know about a workaround until a new, fixed Bios is available...and I do run Aida64...in any case, even FanExpert2 works great for me now, as do all the multiplier settings, by following the procedure I outlined earlier as a 'stop-gap'
    so wait. just to make sure. after a crash from high/bench OC resulting in BSOD or a need for hard reset, you boot to BIOS and alter the settings back to daily stable and then in Windows there is no multiplier lockup for you at this point? it was already often locked up for me at this point and had to clear CMOS and load defaults 2 times to get back to "stable OC zone" ...

ROG Member Array

It's been quite a while.
    When you're the "top gun" in the high end motherboards category, and you have such a serious issue, you're supposed to get things fixed fast & efficiently, 1month ++ isn't anywhere near that.

This is unacceptable.

Does Asus even care? You be the Judge.

Well Asus here is another customer that dropped close to 400 bucks...I thought Hmm Asus has a Thunder fx version.
    What can possibly go wrong I will spend the extra bucks for it....hey its Asus ROG Right!

Here is where I sit now ASUS.... LISTEN UP ....

My spare machine worth maybe 150 bucks can Overclock.....Funny my 400 dollar Top end ROG....will not Oc...stuck at stock.
    Am I a happy customer NO.
    Apparently this has gone on for how long now? (No Fix or properly working Bios)
    No one from Asus is Chiming in?????
    Not even a acknowledgment of the issue.

None Nothing Nadda........Hmm I may rethink my next purchase...can you blame me.
    Ohh by the way I've only purchased Asus....Mobo`s nothing else.

I certainly feel snubbed, and ignored.
    I Guess you have my money so who cares. (To bad you went this way)

Asus you do realize that ignoring myself and all the others in this thread is a HUGE BLACK mark for you.
    Once again it falls on DEAF EARS.

ROG--Repuplic of Gamers or ROG--Really Off Gigahertz. Im going with the second...I have screens to prove it.

One last thing.
    Can you remember when you stopped caring, your inaction's speak volumes although you remain silent.

Well I may get kicked out of ROG for speaking my mind and the truth, stating the facts, and yes they are facts read this thread from page 1.

Best of luck Asus

Sincerely

One of Thousands with a Motherboard that does not do what it is Advertised to do. (Fact)

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 LastLast