Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Master Array EckoInLasVegas's Avatar

Upgrading CPU in the G74SX

Looking at upgrading the CPU in my G74SX from the 2630QM to a 2920XM (Extreme Edition CPU). The OEM CPU is 45W, 32nm tech. The new CPU is 55W, 32nm tech. I know the 55W is more of a thermal issue than an actual power supply issue. Wondering if anyone has any insight before I go plop down a few hundred on a more powerful CPU

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Check out other users experience with this upgrade in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-NO-TURBOBOOST. Waste of good money...
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thanks for the link, that answers my question perfectly

New ROGer Array

so your consern is slove?

ROG Enthusiast Array

No Mike_Lu@Asus - I think the concerns people are having is the external power supply included with the G74SX's. I think Asus under did it with this one. Should be at VERY LEAST a 235W psu not some craptastic 150W that comes with the units.

At stock settings (NO overclocking of the vid card) set on the performance profile if i were to play a game whether that be Grand Theft Auto IV or Battlefield 3 or even Counter Strike Global Offensive, all at high settings - after about an hour or so of playing, you cant touch the external power supply cause its so hot. i have 5 friends that have a G74SX-DH71 all with defferent levels of expertise and range from novice to advanced IT - all have the same expierences.

It's not worth it to upgrade the CPU on these laptops because the external supplies have insufficient output power.

A request goes to Asus - Let us know a compatible power supply solution - let us know the make and model number of a compatible external power supply for these laptops that is greater than 235W so we can move on with life and upgrade our CPUs to the full potential.

I will still and ALWAYS buy asus boards, laptops, and other devices. PERIOD regardless of the outcome of the external power supply issue.

just my 2 cents worth -- (Actually $1.53 after taxes)

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array adamsyes's Avatar

You can still go for the Extreme edition, but honestly as long you don't OC you're 560M

i'd Strongtly recommend you the

Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM Processor
    (8M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

Mainly because it has 45w and just 0.10ghz off compared to the 3.7 from extreme. Really with this one you will be fine.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/...up-to-3_60-GHz

Quote Originally Posted by adamsyes View Post
    You can still go for the Extreme edition, but honestly as long you don't OC you're 560M

i'd Strongtly recommend you the

Intel® Core™ i7-2860QM Processor
    (8M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)

Mainly because it has 45w and just 0.10ghz off compared to the 3.7 from extreme. Really with this one you will be fine.
    http://ark.intel.com/products/53476/...up-to-3_60-GHz
    Difference in performance is essentially nil, since the 55 Watt CPU will be limited by the PSU. Actually, the power supply on my G53SX (15" variant of this laptop) is adequate, even for gaming.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by burn0u7 View Post
    It's not worth it to upgrade the CPU on these laptops because the external supplies have insufficient output power.
    ASUS designed the G74 for a 45W TDP processor...thats the "potential maximum thermally significant power" used by the most energy-consuming processor in the TDP family. The way I read this is that the core i7 2860QM then uses a maximum of 45 Watts total, and processors clocked at lower frequencies but still belonging to the 45W class use proportionally less Watts. Upgrading from a 45W TDP processor to another faster but same 45W TDP processor will draw a bit more power the from the PSU, yes, but if ASUS did things right it budgeted for a maximum 45W contribution from the CPU, even though they may have put in a slower one (e.g. a 2670QM).

Quote Originally Posted by burn0u7 View Post
    A request goes to Asus - Let us know a compatible power supply solution - let us know the make and model number of a compatible external power supply for these laptops that is greater than 235W so we can move on with life and upgrade our CPUs to the full potential.
    See this thread: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...er-Overheating

and see this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...ll=1#post77777

for a link to compatble 180W unit that will work fine with the G74, and run cooler. Getting a 230W is complete overkill, since even upgrading to the i7 2860QM from a 2670QM will only increase the power draw by (3.6GHZ-3.1GHZ)/3.1GHZ = 16%, up to a maximum of 45W. So even in the worst case (i.e. ASUS cut corners and the 150W PSU that comes with the G74 can only handle a 2670QM), going to a 180W is more than enough extra power for the fastest 45W TDP processor that the G74 can take.
    --
    G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
    32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
    GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
    17.3" LED 1920x1080
    Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
    Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

sell your g74 and get a g75 that would make the performance x 1/2 powerful that before , its not worth spending money on different cpu .
    if you still upgrade: you would experience thermal shutdowns and lines goes through the screen if power becomes a limiting factor . If you had a g73 it would be worth upgrading because it has the ability to accommodate with any new graphics cards so a better processor would be useful there to stop bottleneck . but its totally useless for g74 .

I got the G74 cheap enough...upgrading it is worth it. I like to tinker with my laptops.

Plus stayign with a 45watt cpu, better thermal paste and 180 power supply will be more than sufficient

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast