cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Build

lairdyboy
Level 7
I've basically just gathered up enough cash to get me the parts for my first build. Money is hard to come by with me being a student. After lots of research and looking at reviews this is what i'm going to go with:

NZXT Phantom 630
i7 3770k
Corsair H100i water cooler
Maximus v Formula
16gb Corsair vengeance red 2133mhz
4GB Gigabyte 3x windforce GTX670
Corsair AX860i power supply
60gb ssd of some sort for my OS
2TB Western digital black edition hdd

any advice or other good options would be appreciated.

thanks lairdy
15 REPLIES 15

Chino
Level 15

lairdyboy
Level 7
well im currently learning programming and networking at college. And am hoping to do game design this time next year at uni. so yeah it will be used for mainly gaming, but at some point i can see me doing some 3d rendering and stuff.

Chino
Level 15
Your configuration is optimal. Everything will work fine together. It'll leave you with room for future upgrades if you decide to do SLI. The only recommendation I can make to you is to get at least a 120GB SSD for your OS. The Samsung 840 is a solid performer.

Black4
Level 8
I agree with Chino, nice build.
A Republic of Gamers heart.

The all-new Subaru WRX is coming. Pardon our dust.

lairdyboy
Level 7
will keep that ssd in mind. i will be adding a 240gb ssd in the future for my games. also planing of adding another gtx 670 for sli and if i grow a set i would like to have a proper water loop.

lairdyboy
Level 7
Does indeed, but still not sure if im better going with a gtx 680 instead as crysis 3 will be out soon and its a tough game to run. but i have heard that alot of people are picking up the gtx 670 as you can acheive the same performance of a gtx680 when overclocked.

Chino
Level 15
The GTX 670 is a very popular card that most gamers choose because price/performance wise you're getting more bang for your buck. For example if you compare the Asus GTX 680 against the GTX 670 Top models, there is only like a 5fps difference between them in some games. And the GTX 670 costs like $140 less.

TenBlade
Level 11
How many screens are you gaming across? 4gb on a gpu would be overkill unless you´re up for high AA on three screens. Or do you happen to play BF3? The only game I´ve heard of, that would benefit from more than 2gb in a gpu (playing on a single screen).
If you save some bucks going with a 2gb gpu, you could put a little extra into the Samsung 830 SSD, a little more expensive than the 840, but overall performs a little better than the 840. Has a slightly slower read, but somewhat faster write. Is the extra performance worth the extra bucks...you decide.

The i-version of the psu has some fan speed/noise issues on Corsair link, you could search MeanBruceROG´s Maximus Owner´s Club thread for the issue.

And that´s very interesting stuff on the 670, Chino. I´ll definitely reconcider my choice of gpu. Thx