cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g53sw or g53sx???

Retired
Not applicable
hello all,
im new to the whole gaming laptop thing and ive been doing plenty of research (so much my eyes feel like there bleeding) ive recently started a new job that requires me to travel alot. i was looking at the alienware m14x but after reading about asus rog notebooks i was sold. ive owned a asus before and was quite happy with their warranty/service. i play games like wow and starcraft 2 . my question is which better in the long run. im not really concerned with the 3d thing but would be cool and im not sure about buying an unproven laptop as the g53sx hasnt been released yet. my major concern is buying something that will be able to keep up with the times(as short as that may be). any information would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

jorlanm
Level 7
Overall performance the G53sw has better peroformance then the G53sx...simply cause the sx uses 128 Bit Video Bus...compared to 192 bit on the sw...regardless of the sx having 2 GB VRAM and sw 1.5 GB VRAM
-ASUS ROG G73SW-3DE-
-Intel Core i7-2630QM Mobile Quad Processor
-Intel HM65 Express Chipset +ICH10
-17.3" 1920x1080 120Hz Anti-Glare Matte Screen
-nVidia GeForce GTX 460m 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
-nVidia 3D Vision Active Shutter Glasses
-Creative EAX Advanced HD 5.0
-THX TruStudio
-8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM (Max 32GB)
-2x500 Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid HDD
-Blu-Ray 4x Burner
-Logitech Performance MX Darkfield Laser Mice
-Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

-XBOX360, PS3, Wii

@Jvs:

You might want to try your questions in more current threads....I think you're more likely to get responses. This one, for example, is almost five months old, so you may be addressing people who have long since moved on. If you can't find a current thread that pertains to your issue, you can always start a new one. 🙂

Jvs wrote:
Brody

didn't realize this model was even that old.

I bought this laptop as my nephews xmas present, who lives over 1,000 miles away. He's only 8 years old and his parents are totally computer illiterate and won't be able to help him with it, at all.

So I have about 1 week before shipping it out to learn absolutely everything I can, about the capabilities, specs, set up menus, etc, because I'm going to have to walk him through it all, over the phone. Again, he's only 8 years old.

I probably would have noticed the dates, but I'm in intensive study mode, Combined with these really powerful pain killers my doctor prescribed, so thanks for letting me know.

I can't speak with as much knowledge of the G53, since I have the G74, but I truly believe the best way to send him a really stable computer would be for you to do a clean installation on it. Otherwise, I think you're very likely to be getting a lot of phone calls asking for long-distance help.

Asus routinely ships their laptops with outdated drivers and an overabundance of crappy, glitchy software. If these things just degraded performance a little, an 8-year-old probably wouldn't care or notice. But they actually cause serious, intractable problems sometimes. That can be difficult enough for an adult to troubleshoot when they're sitting right in front of the computer...trying to do this over the phone with your nephew would probably be hopeless. 😞