cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Device Not Recognized: The last USB device... blah blah blah

dberladyn
Level 7
Hi,

For some reason my motherboard/computer has a problem with one or two of the asmedia USB3.0 ports on the back of the computer. Windows constantly flashes in the right hand corner "USB Device Not Recognized.... etc." . Nothing works in the port if I plug something in there. There is power, but nothing will install or show up in the OS. The only thing I've been able to do is disable the ports through the Device Manager, but obviously I would like those ports to work. I have the headers to the front USB disconnected so it's not a problem there.

I've had this problem since day one. I've updated the BIOS four times since building this setup. Nothing changes. I briefly looked for asmedia drivers thinking that maybe the problem but I found nothing of interest.

Does anyone have suggestions? I've unplugged everything in the past. I've completely powered down countless times. I've installed all the ASUS drivers. Video drivers have been updated several times. I've tried different BIOS settings (but may have missed something?). I'm frustrated. If it's a defective board I will be disappointed with ASUS but I won't RMA it for that. I'll just live with a bad taste in my mouth.
MB: Rampage IV Extreme (BIOS: 3204)
CPU: i7 3930K
Cooler: Custom Water
RAM: 12gb Corsair Dominator CMT12GX3M3A2000C9
PSU: Silverstone 1500W
GFX: 3x XFX HD7970 Water Cooled
Disks: Intel SSD 520
Monitor: 3x Dell U3011
7 REPLIES 7

HalloweenWeed
Level 12
dberladyn if you have installed the drivers for the Asmedia USB 3.0 then it really sounds like a defective board, sorry to hear it. But first: Do you have a FP plug plugged into the USB 3.0 header? Try disconnecting it and see if your rear sockets work again. Otherwise, they could've been damaged by a static electric discharge (both sockets are on a single hub). It may be too late now, but how's your room humidity? If you are experiencing static electric shocks it is too low - this is often the case in the wintertime - and may have been the culprit. You are charged W/static electricity, when you touch the USB item you charge it, and when you plug it in, pop. All done.

I really love my Rampages. I have been using two of them now for years without a problem (that wasn't caused by me). If you read the other boards forums you will likely see that given the RIVEs features it's failure rate and/or shortcomings seem very insignificant in comparison. I have to say Asus is a real class-act, professional, respectable Mfgr of mobos IMHO.

One other thing, if you don't want to RMA you could always install a PCIe card for it. GL to you.
i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
(EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

Hi HalloweenWeed,

Thanks for the response. I've only ever bought ASUS and will probably only ever continue to. Thinking about all of this I think it might be my own fault. One of my front USB ports is damaged, I think I plugged it in when I originally put this build together. So I am just going to assume the motherboard is broken and leave the affected USB ports disabled. It doesn't make me happy but you know... it might just be an excuse to buy one of those Mondo 28 port USB 3.0 hubs.

Thanks again.

Nodens
Level 16
Doesn't removing the USB header fix the issue?
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

dberladyn
Level 7
No, the USB headers are both disconnected. I've given up unless someone has an idea. Thanks for the response.

Necrosan
Level 12
Do you have "Battery Charge Support" enabled in the BIOS for the USB 3.0 ports?
That will cause exactly the symptoms you are describing.
(IE, my Samsung devices don't work with this option enabled.)

You can also update the firmware for the ASMedia USB 3.0 chip if your device is particularly picky. (No guarantees this will make your device work, but it has solved problems for folks before.)
There's a thread posted not too long ago with all the info you need. I posted a link to my dropbox with the latest ASMedia USB 3.0 firmware + updater.

Good luck, hopefully one of these two fixes your issue!

Edit: Here is link to that thread, bottom post on this page: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10634-ASMedia-USB3.0-Controller-Firmware-XHCI-Controller-Dr...
MB: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2 (Cooled by Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 fans)
RAM: 64GB G.SKILL RipjawsZ 1600 (10-10-10-30)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X Hybrid
TV Tuners: 2 * Hauppauge HVR-1800
Case: CoolerMaster Cosmos 2

dberladyn
Level 7
Hi Necrosan,

Thanks but neither of these fixed the problem. I have the latest Firmware and "Battery Charge Support" is disabled. The board must be damaged.

dberladyn
Level 7
Well... I don't think anyone here can help me but I just lost the other two Asmedia USB ports. They just stopped working after a reboot. Now I have no USB3.0.