cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP cant activate raid o on asus maximus v formula

7styles
Level 7
hi every one, ive just bought my first rog board which is the asus maximus v formula with a i5 3570k 16gb ram 1866MHz and tried installing it a couple of days ago im using 2 500gb hdd's from my last rig with was set in raid 0, when i got the new rig set up i went into the bios to activate the raid option and later went into the main raid settings via ctrl I and tried to set things up there but i cant set the drives into raid 0 with out wiping them as these are the only hdd's i have until i get my next order delivered in a couple of days to back them up and dont want to loose all my data does any one have any clue what I'm doing wrong? i went into create raid volume but I'm unable to select the drive option as it is not high lighted as a result the disks come up as 2 separate non raid disks,

your time and help is much appreciated

regards jay
21 REPLIES 21

TenBlade
Level 11
Hi, and welcome to the ROGs.
You can´t simply take harddrives with OS and programs and hook them onto a new mainboard, stuff doesn´t work like that. RAID0 is potentially risky business, if one drive fails, they´re both toast.
If you still have your old rig, re-insert your RAID drives, cross fingers, wait for new drive to arrive, set that up with OS, and then if your RAID 0 on your old rig works, copy files from there.
Or insert new drive as storage drive in your old rig, wipe your RAID-drives, and put them in your new rig, bring the new storage drive over with all the files.

Ive re installed the drives into my old rig and everything is ok, i was wondering if you drag and drop programs from raid into 1 single drive will they work just wondering as raid 0 spreads the data across the disks wasn't sure if this was possible, thanks for your help

whats the best option with making the back up of the raid, image back up or full back up, will be ordering a new sdd as a os bootable disk and a few programs and games

7styles
Level 7
Hi thanks for the reply, what can i do all my data is on the drives

7styles
Level 7
Ive re installed the drives into my old rig and everything is ok, i was wondering if you drag and drop programs from raid into 1 single drive will they work just wondering as raid 0 spreads the data across the disks wasn't sure if this was possible, thanks for your help

TenBlade
Level 11
You´re welcome, 7styles.
Don´t know if (don´t think) you can transpose a disc image to another system (the drive being RAID 0 doesn´t matter, it is just seen as a single drive).
If you´re getting an SSD, get one with good read and write speed, like the Samsung 830, and hook it up to the fast SATA port, you don´t need RAID0. Sure you can measure some difference in performance, but I doubt you´d feel the difference, I can´t speak from personal experience, but you read this and that in trust worthy reviews.

You can´t drag and drop installed programs, you have to reinstall.

So, to make it easy, install SSD, get OS running, copy all important installable files and folders, and burn them onto a media, then feed your new rig with that.
I don´t know if it´s possible to un-RAID two RAID0 drives, we´ll have to ask one of the wizards here, because that would open the possibilityof getting all your files onto one drive, and then just install that in your new rig as a storage drive.

How big will your SSD be?

7styles
Level 7
With Hi, the ssd will be 128 gb I did have my eye on a ocz vertex4 model but if you think that the samsung one is better I'll go with that 1 it would be a great help if we could get some info from some one with a better understanding of how to install all my data on to 1 drive and use that as a storage drive as you suggested in you ur last post, its just that I have a lot of data on that drive and realy want to keep most of what's on there been out of the hardware scene for a while kind of lost touched. Thanks for ur help man

TenBlade
Level 11
Alright, mate.
The OCZ ssd is Sandforce controlled, and you could have trouble with that. I´ve also read that the OCZ speed starts to drop after it gets 50% full. I was going for an Intel 500-series myself, and they may have cracked the issues with the Sandforce controller, but Samsung don´t rely on SF.

Samsung ssd get such good reviews everywhere I look, that I´m no longer in doubt what to get.

Good idea to get a 120-ish just for the OS, and there´s a tweak to trick programs that force themselves onto C-drive and take up valuable space. I asked for it in a thread, hang on...there you go, mate.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27134-How-to-prevent-default-installations-on-C-drive

How about acquiring a cheap a** external hdd, or perhaps you could borrow from a friend, connect it to your old rig, drag all you want onto it, then, after you´ve installed OS on ssd, and installed the two hdds, wiped them, then set them up for raid, then connect ext. hdd to your new system and transfer to your RAID-setup...?
My two cents worth 😉

7styles
Level 7
Which samsung 128gb ssd would you recomend, will be getting a 1tb hdd tomorrow so I was thinking of backing the raid disks onto that then wipe the 2 drives l8r in the week I will be ordering a ssd on Tuesday so hopefully be able to install and set up the new rig on Thursday fingers crossed