ROG Enthusiast Array

G75VX - Power4Gear Hybrid, InstantON, weired things happening

Hey everybody!

I recently did a complete checkup of my G75 and encountered some weired behaviour wich I want to share.

First of all I did a check for the integrity of my systemfiles - I strongly recommend you to do so as well since it ensures, that windows is working correctly:
    rightclick onto cmd.exe -> launch as admin -> type: sfc /scannow -> wait till its finished and hope that it repairs the inconsistencies if you have some.
    My systemfiles were corrupt out of the box and were fixed through this repairtool.

Before I lauched that command I was not able to let the performance index rate my system...it always failed - afterwards it worked. Tip: Let the performance index rate your system as well since it is necessary for recognition of some hardware. e.g. ssds are correctly recognized for maintainence (trim).

Afterwards I tried to create a system integrity report wich also failed and is still failing every time I try: Timeout when generating the report... i wasnt able to solve this problem - any suggestions?

Windows is also complaining that some entries are missing in the eventlog - I dont know what is causing this mess but something is obviously wrong...

My rog-button beside the powerbutton does absolutely nothing... I have the G75VX 3d version. Reinstalled KBfilter and ATK Utilities - no change at all. Even worse: When the startscreen appears, sometimes when I type my password, 2 letters are written instead of one and completely different letters than the letters I am actually typing - but this happens only from time to time.

Then I suspected the asus utilities to cause these malfunctions and uninstalled asus power4gear hybrid and instanton. Do you think I should reinstall them or arent they vital? Instanton is just for hibernation which I dont use and power4gear is just the same as the native powermanagement - why the redundancy?
    While uninstalling these 2 utilities I received a warning: "warning 1910 could not remove shortcut"... any idea how to solve that? The uninstaller had administrative rights but there are still entries in the windows control panel and the energy management - even the energy plans persist. Reinstalled both and uninstalled again with the same outcome.

Ah yes: sound is stuttering...known problem...wifi drops...known problem...

Thx for reading and sry for bad grammar (not a nativespeaker).

Best, Andi

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Consider running CHKDSK <drive letter> /F /R on each of the partitions on your HDD. You want to eliminate hardware causes for the file corruption experienced on your system. Also consider running a HDD diagnostic utility.

If no bad sectors are encountered by CHKDSK and the diagnostic utility shows your HDD to be healthy, perform a clean Windows Installation or an F9 ASUS Factory Recovery. There are too many issues reported with your current Windows Installation to attempt repair. The OS installation is the foundation of your system. You've determined yours is currently too crumbly to support any further construction.

If this is a new laptop, and you are still within your retailer's exchange/return period, I recommend performing the F9 ASUS Factory Recovery. Uninstall McAfee if it exists after the restore. It is known to cause video and audio stuttering.

If you still experience issues after the Recovery, return the laptop for an exchange or complete refund. Don't let anyone talk you into sending the laptop to ASUS for Warranty repair.

The F9 ASUS Factory Recovery completely overwrites the partition or the entire drive depending on the choice you select for Windows Recovery, so backup any important files.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-26-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thx dstrakele for your suggestion to do a reinstall!

I'm finished with the installation, but unfortunately the problems persist... the system itegrity protection (sfc /scannow) again finds corrupt files, but is able to repair them like it was before the reinstall.

I did test my laptop for hardwareissues but ist perfectly fine so I want to avoid to send it back for exchange - its just a softwareproblem it appears: Tested with smartmontools, hdtune, futuremark, memtest and stuff.

I hoped that the installationroutine would provide a way to install windows 8 without asus stuff, but now I again have the "bloatware".

Is there a way to do a clean installation of windows 8? I mean I have a genuine licence and thus I should have the right to do so... is there a way to receive some clean installation media from microsoft or asus?
    I also upgraded to windows 8 pro with the pro pack... do you know if I can use a windows 8 pro iso now to reinstall?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

It sounds like your ASUS Factory Recovery partition was also corrupt. I've chosen NOT to upgrade to Windows 8. Hopefully someone who has also upgraded to the Pro version can help you with a clean install. I think you will be a lot happier with it as compared to the ASUS Factory installation.

If I were forced to guess, I'd say boot from the Windows 8 media you created from the Windows 8 Pro ISO file, choose Custom Installation, and make the selection to keep "Nothing". You will then install the ASUS ATK Package to provide Function Key functionality, as well as video, audio, touchpad, Ethernet, wireless, etc. device drivers.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-27-2013 at 08:38 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

@andiherbst, here is a simple walk-through:

first, back up all your data to an external storage first.

a. follow the steps here to create a w8 pro install usb. make sure you have your product key for w8 pro ready.

b. download the latest drivers from ASUS.

c. set up your bios
    - make sure that
    1.AHCI is selected in your Bios > Advanced Boot > SATA Configurations
    2. Disable Secure Boot Control;
    3. Disable Fast Boot;
    4. Enable Launch CSM.

d. fresh windows installation
    - plug in the usb stick. boot your laptop, and spam the esc key when you see the POST screen with ROG logo. a popup menu should be up and choose the option with 'UEFI:<your.usb.stick>' and continue. reorganize your HDD partitions if you want (you can press shift+f10 to access the command prompt and use diskpart to remove all partitions first; if you still have data on the HDD, don't do this!).
    - take out your installation media upon first reboot. normally it will boot straight away.

e. driver installation
    - install the drivers. multiple reboots are required in this stage. for w8/w8 pro, you only need a minimal set of drivers.
    a) intel chipset; intel rst; audio; graphic; atheros lan and wifi (check your hardware in device manager for confirmation)
    b) make sure ATK Package and touchpad drivers are installed.

edit: if you faced activation issue after install, check this registry workaround out.
    Last edited by rewben; 01-27-2013 at 11:29 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thx for your replies guys, I really apprechiate your input!

First of all a question regarding the ASUS drivers. Do I need to install KB filter? Aren't the ATK Utilities responsible for the hotkeys? If yes, do they depend on each other and in which order should they be installed? I really don't want to screw it up again...

I plan to install the following things in exact this order:
    Chipsetdrivers from ASUS (since they may have been costumized for this model),
    Intel rapid storage tech (just the driver not the utility) -> faster than the windows ACHI driver,
    Intel Management Engine (I have no plan what it actually does - seems to be a remote service of some kind),
    ATK Utilities (hotkeys?),
    KBfilter (also hotkeys?),
    Touchpad,
    Asus Nvidia driver because of optimus support,
    Audiodriver,
    LAN,
    Wireless & Bluetooth.

I guess thats everything, that is needed to get the most out of it. I will not touch power4gear again and hope that it is not essential. The same is true for InstantON. I will use the windows powermagement "balanced" all the time, to let windows decide situational when power is needed and when not.

Do you think that's ok or am I missing something? Also should I stick to Asus drivers or go with the original drivers from the manufacturers of the different parts?

THX in advance!
    Last edited by andiherbst; 01-28-2013 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar

New ROGer Array

i think you are able to install drivers and utilities from ASUS support site, those are release drivers and utilities.

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

Quote Originally Posted by andiherbst View Post
    Thx for your replies guys, I really apprechiate your input!

First of all a question regarding the ASUS drivers. Do I need to install KB filter? Aren't the ATK Utilities responsible for the hotkeys? If yes, do they depend on each other and in which order should they be installed? I really don't want to screw it up again...

I plan to install the following things in exact this order:
    Chipsetdrivers from ASUS (since they may have been costumized for this model),
    Intel rapid storage tech (just the driver not the utility) -> faster than the windows ACHI driver,
    Intel Management Engine (I have no plan what it actually does - seems to be a remote service of some kind),
    ATK Utilities (hotkeys?),
    KBfilter (also hotkeys?),
    Touchpad,
    Asus Nvidia driver because of optimus support,
    Audiodriver,
    LAN,
    Wireless & Bluetooth.

I guess thats everything, that is needed to get the most out of it. I will not touch power4gear again and hope that it is not essential. The same is true for InstantON. I will use the windows powermagement "balanced" all the time, to let windows decide situational when power is needed and when not.

Do you think that's ok or am I missing something? Also should I stick to Asus drivers or go with the original drivers from the manufacturers of the different parts?

THX in advance!
    for w8, i always install in the following order:
    1. intel chipset;
    2. intel rst, driver only;
    3. intel management engine (well, i leave this alone normally; w8 will get the driver from windows update);
    4. gpu driver;
    5. sound driver;
    6. atk package (from asus);
    7. touchpad (from asus);
    8. alco card reader (from asus; sometimes i also skip this);
    9. lan;
    10. wifi and BT (normally i will leave bluetooth alone as i don't use it)

i don't install the rest.

ROG Enthusiast Array

thx for clarifying! I think it would be wise to completely replace the original hard disk with a new ssd, to be able to go back to the original state if something goes wrong... and it definitely always goes wrong...

Do you know if it is possible to replace the hard drive with secure boot activated? I definitely want this security feature enabeled and working.

It took me ages but now I have an appropriate istallation media: windows 8 core/pro RTM 64bit...original msdn. My plan is to comletely replace the harddrive with my key read out from the bios and my license backed up. Then do a completely clean install. I hope this will work - if not I will definitely trash this machine.

Its a shame to make it that difficult for honest costumers to get what they want - pirates win as usual - completely the same situation as it is in videogames... only the legit buyers suffer. In short - I'm really pissed off, that I have to buy a new hard disk just to be able to go back. Actually I'm really raging about that - when I buy something I want to decide what I will do with that stuff, even more if I own a legal license. I really want to use my gamelaptop for gaming, NOT for reading for hours about how to clean reinstall windows with a f.... OEM license, where the manufacturer thinks it is a good idea not to provide a clean install medium... god I could vomit about this...

rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    CaseNZXT H440
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU

my guess is that if you're running w8 core (clean install), you should be able to turn secure boot on.