Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Tomislav's Avatar

...but not without using a 3rd party software or some additional hardware or adapters ? Am I right?
    ASUS G75VX
    Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

To answer the question, without words that get me banned... "something else" and leave it a that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomislav View Post
    ...but not without using a 3rd party software or some additional hardware or adapters ? Am I right?
    I assume it is very similar to G55. On G55 you do not need additional software. The only additional "hardware" you require is a 3.5mm Toslink to Optical Toslink cable. Sometimes this is sold as Optical Toslink to Optical Toslink with one 3.5mm adaptor ("PayTV Adaptor").

The 3.5mm side you connect to the headphone port on the laptop. This port actually detects and sends ~optical~ instead of ~analog~ (it auto-detects, as it were).

This is to connect the SPDIF out on the laptop to a suitable optical audio 5.1/7.1 receiver. For example, right now it is connected to my Turtle Beach PX5 which allows wireless Dolby Digital.

The SPDIF out may also be connected to a "home theater system" - basically a receiver that takes optical audio in and then sends it to your surround speaker setup.

So, all good.

There are other solutions, eg. Astro headset whereby you connect the headphone via USB. In this case you use the soundcard on the headphone system not the motherboard.
    Last edited by srmojuze; 02-02-2013 at 12:17 PM.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array GottiBoi55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by srmojuze View Post
    G75 has SPDIF out I thought... Like my G55... See http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...-5.1-Surround& ???

You are right there!
    There's also 5.1 sound in speaker configuration settings.
    If you go to >control panel>hardware and sound>sound>speakers>configure, you can setup "5.1" sound.
    Last edited by GottiBoi55; 02-02-2013 at 05:33 PM.
    GottiBoi55
    Asus
    G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
    Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
    Samsung
    24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
    SanDisk
    M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
    Second Monitor: Shar
    p Aquos 32"

Quote Originally Posted by GottiBoi55 View Post
    You are right there!
    There's also 5.1 sound in speaker configuration settings.
    If you go to >control panel>hardware and sound>sound>speakers>configure, you can setup "5.1" sound.
    Also make sure on the hardware eg. my Turtle Beach PX5 DISABLE Dolby Pro Logic, you want Dolby Digital mode all the time.

Even YouTube music sounds good now.

New ROGer Array

Hi,

I'm considering buying px5 for my own g73jh and I was happy to read the surround works with them and your g55 (which I consider similar to g73jh with respect to sound specs). However I'v read on toher forum the surround works only with movies and music, not games. Could you confirm surround working with games also?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2