Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    ROG Member Array

Hi, can you or anyone with this upload it again? The download isn't available anymore and I need it to fix a GTX 670MX vbios in a ROG G75VX
    Quote Originally Posted by povetkin View Post

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

Here you go: 670MX VBIOS

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamonic View Post
    Here you go: 670MX VBIOS
    Fantastic! Thanks!

Edit: Damn, my G75VX monitor still doesn't detect in POST/BIOS/Windows.
    It's been on ongoing issue since I tried to overclock it with a custom vbios before. The laptop's monitor was basically not the default display, but I was able to switch Nvidia display settings to at-least have Windows use it as the primary. In POST/BIOS, the laptop's monitor would only display if I connected & disconnected an external HDMI monitor during the startup... i would get the tail end of the ROG loading screen. Strange...

Now, after restoring the official .206 bios from ASUS using the laptop's Ctrl+Home method, the monitor doesn't detect at all. External HDMI monitor works fine. Windows device manager doesn't show anything for it.

I attempted to copy the current bios, inject the original 670MX vbios per steps in http://voltground.com/haven/threads/3/#post-29 (for G75) and everything passed at the end, but still the issue persists.

Is this possibly just the monitor hardware failing or something really stubborn outside of bios & vbios, such as in the monitor firmware itself??
    PERHAPS...is there a way to unlock an "Initial Display" Setting in the BIOS to custom flash and just set the monitor back to default manually?
    I've scanned through the G75VX 206 bios options in AMIBCP (aptio 4) and can't find this setting - to unlock it would require setting access privileges from default to USER - correct?

Did some power cycles - removed battery and held power for 60 seconds - nothing.
    Removed battery, removed CMOS battery, removed graphics and monitor - let it all sit for hours - reconnected - nothing.

Attempted to boot holding 2 seperate CMOS reset jumpers near the bottom 2 ram ports individually (further clear the CMOS) while booting but the laptop just boots so I don't think I'm doing it correctly. You bridge their hairthin gap, correct? tried various flip tip screwdrivers without luck. (JRST2001 and JRST2002) I've only attempted shorting their gaps individually, not all 4 together and not 2 shorts at the same time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170824_090829.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	72185 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imageproxy.jpeg 
Views:	0 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	72186

Also, I've tried to restore the original .206 bios in Intel Flash Programming Tool (FPT) renaming it to g75vx.rom but I get a warning:

"Warning: Not all of the file data will be written to flash because the file is longer than the flash area to be written to!
    File: "g75vx.rom"
    File Length: 6293504
    Write Length: 6291456
    Do you want to continue? Y/<N> or q to quit:

I don't trust continuing when the Ctrl+Home method and ASUS EZ-Flash don't report this.
    Last edited by jakwolf67; 03-10-2018 at 05:40 PM.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dreamonic's Avatar

So v206 was the System BIOS you were using when you inserted V1 (modified VBIOS version for 670MX) and flashed it?

What model (SKU) is your VX? What model of screen do you have: AUO, Chi Mei or Samsung?

Did you happen to change any boot modes around post SBIOS dump?

It is stated in the datasheet image above regarding what to do (and not do) with JRST2001 and JRST2002. Yes, you shunt (short the two contact points together) either to JRST2001 or JRST2002 (depending on the recovery needed), but not both together. When shunting either of those, it is unlikely going to do any good as it has been found to only reset memory configuration, and time/date. BIOS settings are stored in NVRAM immediately after saving and exiting the BIOS. There is no way to restore notebook BIOS settings with a simple task such as with an onboard jumper, CMOS battery removal, or switch like you would find on desktop MBs, or even a secondary BIOS chip that can used for recovery even.

There is no point attempting to reset the EC with multiple battery pulls as this is not where the issue resides. Nothing wrong with having tried that, but I'm just stating that it isn't related to the EC here. Most likely it's NVRAM configuration parameters are not being restored properly with the write of just the BIOS region.

I think what happened is that the LFP (basically the laptop display) is for some reason, set to use the iGPU for boot display at POST. ASUS disabled the iGPU in their Optimus free ROG lineups, so it almost seems like that's exactly what is happening. It's not strange to me why after you flashed with a modified VBIOS in replace of the stock one would cause this, as it requires a BIOS "region" write for it to apply afterwards, which is exactly where data corruption is likely to occur. The G75 notebooks are notorious for bricking by just changing the boot mode from UEFI to Legacy. So I can't exactly suggest defaulting BIOS settings and changing the boot modes on the fly to try some fixes out, as you may not POST afterwards and a BIOS recovery will be required to continue (use of a programmer).

In AMIBCP, there are options for LCD Control in the Chipset menu. I have not experimented with any of the options listed for LCD Control. But I do have a possible solution below...

What I was thinking might be worth a shot was to flash the SBIOS from a working G75VX that has the internal display working in hopes of having the NVRAM configuration parameters restored. In case there is corruption with your current stored values, despite appearing in the BIOS menus as being correct (with the additional menus unlocked). There is just the risk of bricking your notebook after the flash because this SBIOS will be from another working system, and as noted before, the G75 BIOS corrupts very easily when multiple values are changed, let alone just changing OpROM policies/boot modes. If you had a programmer nearby, I'd say let's try this out. But I'm not going to do it if you are without one.

It could very well be a corrupted EDID, and if so, I'd recommend to contact Mr. Fox and t456 from the NBR forum regarding that process of recovery. Link here.

The write size error with FPT is because of the 2KB AMI Aptio capsule (0x0 - 0x7FF) difference between a dumped BIOS (6144KB) and one off ASUS Support site (6146KB) for your model of notebook. The Easy Flash Utility needs the capsule intact to use the BIOS recovery procedure AFAIK.

ROG Member Array

Wow, thanks for the detailed response. I will take the laptop apart soon to confirm the parts.
    I'm getting the eprom programmer kit you recommended (per https://www.ebay.ca/itm/TL866A-USB-U...-/221197938454)
    I want to push this baby further and attempt the fix.

I will let you know when it arrives. Feel free to upload the files at the moment, I won't do anything until the eprom programmer arrives (might take time from China).
    Last edited by jakwolf67; 03-14-2018 at 11:10 PM.

ROG Member Array

Ok, I've got the programmer from this kit (TL866A & EEPROM FLASH 8051).
    Who has a working SBIOS they can share for the G75VX.

Motherboard (SKU) G75VX-BHI7N11 / Check Number: 7040 / MFD: 2012-11 12M

Monitor: Chi Mei - Innolux - N173HGE -L11 Rev.C1 (KWC1B1Y352001A)

No, I didn't change any boot modes after the SBIOS dump.

Update: Awww man, I saw you took down your Voltground website I respect your decision, I can see why the energy was so strong in your hobby.

There's a mirror for September 2017 in WayBackMachine https://web.archive.org/web/20170923....com:80/haven/
    Last edited by jakwolf67; 03-28-2018 at 10:12 PM.

ROG Junior Member Array

Thanks for posting the WayBackMachine link. Does anyone still have the 670MX VBIOS?

ROG Junior Member Array

I second that. Does anyone have or know where to find the 670mx vbios?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3