cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Games that don't work on g75vx win8

ootld999
Level 7
Ok, im getting quite aggravated by this problem. Ive had the laptop for a couple of weeks now and the only 3 things ive been able to play are Unmechanical, Halflife Black Mesa and Windows Solitaire (not that this one counts for anything).
It seems that most 3d apps just dont work, and i cant pinpoint the problem, because it could either be the Win8 or the nvidia drivers.

I tried all current versions of nvidia drivers:
1. both versions from the g75vx page on asus
2. 310.83 x64 win8 from asus (not on g75vx page)
3. 310.90 x64 win8 from nvidia

I tried all compatibility modes, from win xp to win7.

The results i got so far is that some combinations of those 2 last either until i close
the game (if it works on the 1st try; rare, happened twice) or after a few seconds in the game.
The end result is that the screen is black and the laptop is not responding to anything,
not even ctrl-alt-del.
I've had to do a hard reset each time (and i'm not really happy about that).

"The game" here refers to any from the following list:
1. Quantum Conundrum
2. Twin sector
3. Fly'n
4. Deadlight
This list will probably grow until i get a way to make these work on my machine.
I have, however, managed to get Twin Sector, Fly'n and Deadlight to work in a Win7 virtual machine (deadlight crashes at
some point though). Obviously they can't get full detail because they don't see the actual nvidia video, just the VM one.

If anyone tried or is running any of those games, please post a comment. Any help appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

ootld999
Level 7
Update
While writing this ive managed to get Quantum Conundrum to work by running in windowed mode.
And after running sfc /checknow, thought i dont think it had something to do with it.

If i try fullscreen, it still freezes in a black screen and i need to hard reset.
I'm gonna try the other games (after i get the time to reinstall). See if they work in windowed mode.

When you say 3D apps, do you mean playing these games in 3D mode ?
if that is not what you mean, I expect you mean games that require proper use of the graphic card, could you try and run a benchmarking program, see if it also causes the blackscreen of doom?

If it does, I think you have a faulty graphic card, and should either send it for repairs while you still have warrenty, or RMA it.
I sadly dont have any of the games you list, so I cant test them, I´m also on win8, and so far any games i throw at the laptop all run fine, talking about guildwars 2, the new hitman game, starcraft 2, planetside and many more.

What's weirder, is that for both apps that run ok in windowed and freeze in fullscreen, i can see a win7-like border in windowed mode.
I'm also getting the idea that the other 2 games that did run in fullscreen ok were running in opengl, as opposed to dx9 and dx11.
Here's a screenshot with deadlight windowed

I'm gonna check tomorrow whether my guess about opengl was right. (As a sidenote, i do game dev and am quite familiar with opengl and directx api; i already tested an opengl app i made, i should also test a directx app to see if the fullscreen problem appears)

It's 3am here and i have work tomorrow, but i couldnt sleep until i had tested the opengl theory.
It seems that dx9 and dx11 apps work ok in fullscreen.
However, 3dmark11 fails when starting demo and 3dmark06 fails at the splash screen when detecting hardware. The 'fail' consists in everything freezing (not even the mouse moves). So my guess is that this is the same problem as with the black screen, only that here it doesnt have time to draw that black screen before freezing.
Again, there's nothing i can do (no key/mouse input) besides hard reset.

I guess now would be a good time for an ASUS rep opinion.

ootld999 wrote:
It's 3am here and i have work tomorrow, but i couldnt sleep until i had tested the opengl theory.
It seems that dx9 and dx11 apps work ok in fullscreen.
However, 3dmark11 fails when starting demo and 3dmark06 fails at the splash screen when detecting hardware. The 'fail' consists in everything freezing (not even the mouse moves). So my guess is that this is the same problem as with the black screen, only that here it doesnt have time to draw that black screen before freezing.
Again, there's nothing i can do (no key/mouse input) besides hard reset.

I guess now would be a good time for an ASUS rep opinion.

Have you made sure you CPU is set to 100% all the time in Power Options?

Power options is set on Power4Gear High performance.
I'll now try to uninstall some software and see if i can get 3dmark11 to work. I will continue until i get to a barebone win8, i have made a backup of the initial partition. If that doesn't work i guess i'll have to call ASUS local rep.

What's weirder, is that for both apps that run ok in windowed and freeze in fullscreen, i can see a win7-like border in windowed mode.
I'm also getting the idea that the other 2 games that did run in fullscreen ok were running in opengl, as opposed to dx9 and dx11.
Here's a screenshot with deadlight windowed

I'm gonna check tomorrow whether my guess about opengl was right. (As a sidenote, i do game dev and am quite familiar with opengl and directx api; i already tested an opengl app i made, i should also test a directx app to see if the fullscreen problem appears)

ootld999
Level 7
3d apps means directx or opengl 3d, not 3d monitor. My g75vx doesnt have a 3d monitor.
I dont think the video card has a problem, because HL BlackMesa and Unmechanical worked both in fullscreen and never did go into the black screen problem.
I also ran some benchmarks from ozone3d: furmark, shadertoys mark, and 2 others. All in fullscreen, didnt have a problem.
The games i ran in VM, also ran in fullscreen.

It is that specific list of games that i can't run in native win8 (i.e. no virtualization).
---
I just managed to get Deadlight to run in windowed mode after 3 more hard resets. It runs fine in windowed mode 32bit/dx9, fullscreen freezes in black (and i can hear the laptop fans slowing down; i assume it's because the video card isnt used)

Pitcher1
Level 9
if 3D mark test fail, i think you will send back to ASUS to test.