cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z - boots to windows only after reset ?

Solarblaze
Level 7
Hello once again,

I finally got a replacement for the motherboard (after this happened: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?28156-Crosshair-V-Formula-Z-no-boot-q-code-50&country=&stat... ) and my computer finally gets a picture and boots to windows.

The issue I have now is strange again:

When my computer is turned off for awhile and I press the button to turn it on, it shows me the rog picture and boots and then shows the windows 8 boot screen for about 1 second and then turns completely black, with a mouse cursor which I can move.

Now if I dont reset the computer at this point it will eventually show some kinda of graphical error (blueish screen and scrambled white pixels) and resets itself. Once it resets it boots normally and stays at the windows boot screen alot longer and then once I logon win 8 it gives me an error report which I can send away. It says something bout c:\windows\MEMORY.DMP

Also this is 100% reproducable, it happens everytime and if I press the reset button it always boots without issues.

Additionally I have been gaming for hours without a break and even ran alot of benchmarks and stresstests and everything works perfect so far and 100% stable. So once again I have no clue what to do about this. It seems like a minor issue since resetting fixes everything but I finally want a computer without any issues 😞

Also the specs:

AMD FX 8150 3.6Ghz
16GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX quad kit (KHX1866C9D3K4/16GX)
Sapphire Radeon 7970 vapor-x
2 kingston SSDs 240GB
Windows 8 Pro 64bit
580w be quiet! PSU
2 REPLIES 2

SUKARA
Level 10
1. Motherboard bios upgrade to latest version
2. update the windows8 os
3. try to update the graphic card drvier
I guess this problem maybe the windows8 cause....

Solarblaze
Level 7
Hey,

So I just started using win 8 and didnt really know about it - anyway I found out that 3 win 8 updates kept failing and I had enough of this so I reformatted and installed win 8 once more.

Now the interesting part I found out:

I freshly installed win 8 and the first thing I did right after was installing all windows 8 updates. I kept shutting it down and turned it back on - and it worked perfectly. However after installing the catalyst drivers for AHCI, USB, and the graphics card I had the same error again!

So I also found out that there is a fast boot option hidden in the windows 8 Power settings which is always deactivated on resets/restarts but tries to boot super fast when you shut your computer down - and thats the issue. After installing the Catalyst this fast boot option does not work properly anymore and freezes - once I deactivated it my computer boots slower but works 100 %.

So I guess for now I will keep it like this - however I would appreciate if that gets fixed ;D