cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 VW Memory Speed and Upgrade

JMSPT
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I just upgraded my G75 VW to Windows 8 and now I wanto to add more memory, at the moment has 16GB but I wanted to upgrade to 32GB, can I do that, does the laptop support 32GB memory (I know that the CPU does, but what about the board...)?

Besides that I decided to run CPU-Z and appears that the memory is not running at 1600mhz as I though that would be, but at 800 MHz, what's going wrong here?

I'm including the CPU-Z report for anyone that could look at it and help me with this.

Back to the beginning, this laptop support 32GB? What memory do you recommend (FAST FAST Memory has the laptop can handle) - please post a link Amazon or something similar (with prices :)).

Thank you for your help.
36 REPLIES 36

GottiBoi55
Level 10
JMSPT wrote:
Hello everyone,
I just upgraded my G75 VW to Windows 8 and now I wanto to add more memory, at the moment has 16GB but I wanted to upgrade to 32GB, can I do that, does the laptop support 32GB memory (I know that the CPU does, but what about the board...)?

Besides that I decided to run CPU-Z and appears that the memory is not running at 1600mhz as I though that would be, but at 800 MHz, what's going wrong here?

I'm including the CPU-Z report for anyone that could look at it and help me with this.

Back to the beginning, this laptop support 32GB? What memory do you recommend (FAST FAST Memory has the laptop can handle) - please post a link Amazon or something similar (with prices :)).

Thank you for your help.

You are getting 800 MHz (edit: DDR dual channel memory) will 'bench" that way!
So 800 MHz times two
(edit: with DDR dual channel memory) = 1600 MHz.

Edit: Sorry my bad, I meant DDR dual channel memory.

You should be good to go with 32GB, just make sure you get the correct timing CL11 (11,11,11,28)
But keep in mind, there's two memory slots that's not user accessible, you will void the warranty to access them!

PS: Oh BTW, Win8 (64Bit) supports up to 128GB of memory, and Win 8 Pro(64 Bit) 512GB!>>>>Source
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
You are getting 800 MHz per channel, Dual channel will 'bench" that way!
So 800 MHz times two channels = 1600 MHz.

Er... That's not because of dual-channel, 800mhz = 1600mhz because it is "double data rate". 🙂

srmojuze wrote:
Er... That's not because of dual-channel, 800mhz = 1600mhz because it is "double data rate". 🙂

Sorry, my bad!
Thx for reminding me about that!

PS: Made edit
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Pitcher1
Level 9
i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability.

No offence, but I suggest you ignore ASUS max memory specs for the G75 and go for 32GB, that is if you want to open it up to repopulate the two slots under the keyboard. I have had 32GB running in my G74 for over a year now, and its been the most stable machine I have ever owned, not to mention the highest performing. My timings are 1333MHz at 9-9-9-24. You may have to settle for looser timings if you are planning to put in 1600MHz stuff.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

JMSPT
Level 7
ok, thank you for the resposnses.
How can I access the hidden memory slots (do you have a link to a tutorial)?

"i suggest you follow the spec from ASUS support site, that would be getting best performance and stability."
Can you post the link?

Question: How many slots does CPU-Z say are occupied? If only two, then the hidden slots are usually the ones occupied, and you can just take the back of the notebook off and add 16 GB of RAM (following @GottiBoi55's constraints on timing) without a problem. Otherwise, it is a serious disassembly job.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

JMSPT
Level 7
unfortunately, all 4 slots are occupied...
😞

- Is it so difficult to add 4 memory cards (8GB each)? Any tutorials on that?
- If I saw some tutorial about that I could decide if I can handle that job, if not, I was thinking about removing 2 of the memory cards (from the visible slots) AND add 2 with 8GB each - then I would end with 8+8+4+4 = 24GB - (in this case what precautions should I need to consider - I'm thinking about memory compatibility with the existing ones ).

Thank you

JMSPT wrote:
unfortunately, all 4 slots are occupied...
😞

- Is it so difficult to add 4 memory cards (8GB each)? Any tutorials on that?
- If I saw some tutorial about that I could decide if I can handle that job, if not, I was thinking about removing 2 of the memory cards (from the visible slots) AND add 2 with 8GB each - then I would end with 8+8+4+4 = 24GB - (in this case what precautions should I need to consider - I'm thinking about memory compatibility with the existing ones ).

Thank you

- it's not hard, just tedious; here's the teardown; but i think you can stop at the point where you can access the hidden ram slots.

- you can check here for steps that you need to know if you do not touch the hidden slots (keeping the stock ram).

i used to run 2x8gb kingston ram along with stock ram.