cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 Webcam issue

Shiverous
Level 7
Hi,

I've had my G55 for about 4 months now and I had no issues with it. Kept it dust free, never even scraped or dropped it.

Two weeks ago I tried to make a skype video call and it said I had no webcam so I checked device manager to see whats wrong and the webcam did not appear in there at all (not even as faulty, literally not in the list whatsoever).

The weird thing is when I boot my laptop its there and it works, but after about an hour or so I hear the noise windows makes when you disconnect a USB stick for example and from that point onward its like I don't have a webcam at all.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Kind Regards,
Shiverous
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
If wiggling the laptop lid reconnects the webcam, you've got a hardware issue. The behavior of it being connected on startup then disconnecting sounds like a thermal expansion issue where electrical contact is lost as the connection heats up.

However, I'd try installing the latest Intel Chipset Device Software with the -overall switch to ensure the update all the drivers before sending it in for Warranty repair.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Thank you for your help.

If its not too much of a bother just to make sure I don't do something wrong could you please point me in the right direction where to get those drivers?

Kind Regards,
Shiverous

It might be a random issue. Just ask ASUS in your country, and go repair it if you still have your warranty.

Shiverous wrote:
... where to get those drivers?

Git 'em here ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=816&DwnldID=20775&ProductFamily=Softwa...), while they're hot!

Be sure to use the -overall switch for installation. It is not a default install option.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Pitcher1
Level 9
you can send back to rma, if hw problem.

Yeah I will, the only thing is I'll be back in the country I got the laptop from in 3 months so I wanted to try some software fixes before that 🙂 Nevertheless its not like I actually use the webcam that intensively, its just a bit annoying that it broke so fast especially cause I had/have so many asus products and this is the first one that gave me any issues.

Thanks for all your help people, appreciate it.

Kind Regards,
Shiverous