Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Enable write caching on the device" VS RAIDXpert

mongo
Level 7
Setup

Windows 7 SP1
Latest RAID Drivers
Latest motherboard bios (Crosshair V Formula)
RAID 0 array setup using RAIDXpert

Device Manager

Disk drives --> AMD 2+0 Strip/Raid0 --> Double click --> Enable write caching on the device

RAIDXpert

Logical Drive View --> Settings

Now..

In Device Manager "Enable write caching on the device" is not checked by default.

This value though can be changed via RAIDXpert.

This is what happens

If we check the "No Cache" option and apply the setting this will change the "Enable write caching on the device" setting in Device Manager to be checked.

If we check either the "Read Cache" or "Read Ahead" then the "Enable write caching on the device" in Device Manager will be unchecked.

Is this what is meant to be happening ?

Using RAIDXpert, "No Cache" performance using AS SSD with 4K writes is arnd 60 MB/s, using "Read Ahead" performance is arnd 120 MB/s.

The thing is, this disables the "Enable write caching on the device" setting in Device Manager, but wherever I have read about optimizing SSD performance it is said that this setting needs to be enabled, hence the reason I am somewhat perplexed by what I am seeing.

So hopefully someone can chime in and offer their experience/opinions on this issue.
1 REPLY 1

mongo
Level 7
Another user has confirmed that the characteristics posted above are indeed correct.

So on an AMD based system using SB950 chipset and RAIDXpert, we should only use RAIDXpert to optimize the performance our RAID 0 arrays.

Info pertaining to "Enable write caching on the device" should be ignored as it results in a loss of performance.

If anyone has any additional information or would like to contest this information would be great to hear from you!