cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G series laptops second half of the model number

e3zkiel
Level 7
Hi Everyone!

I am pretty new to the forums but not to ROG. I purchased one of the first G series laptop...G1S!!

Anyways, I can't seem to figure out where to get information on all the different configurations for the G series laptops.

I am talking specifically about this - G46VW-XXXXX or G55VW-XXXXX or G56VW-XXXX.
Where can we get more information about the second half of the model number and to determine which is newer when purchasing this laptops online.

Thanks for everyone's help and input!!

-e3zkiel
7 REPLIES 7

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, why do you need it? i think it is the same spec., just shippment difference have difference model name.

Colonel_Panic
Level 7
@Mike
I know that for the G75VW series the 2nd part of the model is for different configurations. -TH2 is different from -TH1, etc, etc, etc.

Now if the VW is different from the VX, which is different from the DS, I don't know the specifics. I just researched the best deal I could find on the G75VW series.

e3zkiel
Level 7
Thanks Colonel Panic.

I am trying to understand the many different models that I see online when trying to purchase from an online retailer.
If anyone else can chime in that would be really helpful!

Second set of letters and numbers tell you how there configured. Different vendors have them in different configuration less expensive and more expensive mostly I don't know that there is list anywhere that explains them all, Look in the Spec detail on the vendor page. Most of the differences are in the Hard drives or SSD, 3D or 3D ready, no 3D, Different display panels and native resolutions and amount of Ram. Some of the VX models have Thunderbolt.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

billyray520
Level 10
It would really be a project to list all of the sub-models of each G series notebook. I know the G73jh alone has about half a dozen variations, based on vendor and options etc. Also the value added resellers will take one of those submodels and customize it makeing it something else again!

I sympathize because I was trying to find a laptop for the better half, and it is a nightmare trying to figure out what a given laptop REALLY contains. Ebay automatically lists options based on the main model number, but the submodel may or may not have those options. The sellers are even less helpful. :rolleyes:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Amazon, Tiger Direct, Newegg, all list the details on the Spec's, between them they pretty much cover most variants but not all Variants
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

e3zkiel
Level 7
Okay, that makes sense. Thank you everyone for your insight and help!! 😄